Ray
whiteturbo is offline Find More Posts by whiteturbo
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,010 Posts
Would a cap be recommended if running a heavy lift hexa with a 4S?
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old May 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
sorry i didnt tested it myself.
But in any case it wont harm your build (if not soldering a short), they are "good".
Its maybe good or maybe wont do anything, i think for some battery brands it will be good.
But i think you all shouldnt care too much about it.
I will solder some caps on to it for mine, they are cheap and i have some laying here.
In theorie it will help deliver power and will prevent drops when high amps are needed.
But many builds here showed it, its not really needed.
Goofy23 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old May 12, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Hi
the "Flyduino" seems to be very interesting for me especially because of 4 UARTs. Did anyone of you has a Robbe/Futaba SBus-Receiver got working natively by the SBus? I saw some guys discussing about an Adapter (SBus -> Sum) but i'm thinking with the possibilities of the ATMega 1024 it should be possible to run an Arduino-Mega-based-Board-SBus-Configuration directly without another Board in between.
If anyone knows a solution, please tell! Thanks
Captain Ixi is offline Find More Posts by Captain Ixi
Old May 13, 2011, 02:14 AM
Belgium, Flemish Region, coast
Joined Nov 2009
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy23 View Post
Hi Ray
A Elko is a simply a CAP, sry its a german term.
You dont need it, its really only a option and it shouldnt be needed at all, but some guys prefer to add some big caps to their powerline.
Hi Paul, concerning the caps, do you refer to the electrolytic capacitors? The ones which are normally mounted on the ESC's? Those are installed to protect the ESC's. Too long battery wires may harm your ESC over time. But I think the Caps should be installed as close as possible to the ESC. Not halfway the power lines?

In general it's always better to extend the cables going towards the motors instead of extending the cables towards the ESC's. Or is there another purpose?

Best regards
B.

Btw, I received your flyduino, an amazing piece of art! I really love it!
berkely is offline Find More Posts by berkely
Old May 13, 2011, 05:01 PM
Registered MisUser
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2009
721 Posts
Hiya,

Found a little(minor) problem.
I have changed over one of my tri's to a flyduino and when i connect everything according to Alex's sites instructions the flyduino and the RX are dead. I knew everything was alright with the Flyduino so i was flummuxed for a second, then i sussed it. The servo is connected to 2 as it says on alex's site but 2 is where the flyduino gets its power from if the jumpers are set and it expects an ESC on 2 thereby powering the board and the RX. I could power the board from the lipo i suppose but i really dont want to do that.
Any sugestions, for example could i alter the code so the servo is on 3 and ESC that should be on 3 altered to 2. Easy(yea right) except i dont have a clue how to do that.

Any help welcome
Ray
Old May 13, 2011, 06:54 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
1,010 Posts
Just got my flyduino in the mail along with the senor and power BOBs. The flyduino programmed on the first try.

Time to solder lots of pins. Now if I only had a freeflight board Just sent it back to Jussi due to a bad mag.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old May 14, 2011, 05:16 AM
Schweiz
Joined Apr 2008
48 Posts
My Flyduino with "FreeFlight IMU V1.22L" doesn't work. On the IMU on the bottom is a bridge between (ENABLE - PWR).
Not enough power supply for the Flyduino only by FTDI?

Best regards
Geni
Geni is offline Find More Posts by Geni
Old May 14, 2011, 05:47 AM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geni View Post
My Flyduino with "FreeFlight IMU V1.22L" doesn't work. On the IMU on the bottom is a bridge between (ENABLE - PWR).
Not enough power supply for the Flyduino only by FTDI?

Best regards
Geni
Should be ok that way. How do the LEDs on both boards behave?
Have you tried to power the boards via an external source?
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2011, 05:51 AM
Gravity sucks :)
Indonesia
Joined Jul 2005
924 Posts
Is that a 5v FTDI?
ddmt is offline Find More Posts by ddmt
Old May 14, 2011, 10:50 AM
Schweiz
Joined Apr 2008
48 Posts
I have a test done with a 2S Lipo as power source .
The Power LED is lit, the LED by the FTDI port is flashes and burn both LED on the imu.

In the MultiWiiConf_dev20110508-Gui Cycle Time is displayed in turn from about -10 780 and -20 960.

Is Now the Flyduino broken? How can i check?

Geni
Old May 14, 2011, 12:27 PM
Registered MisUser
Bristol UK
Joined Oct 2009
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteturbo View Post
Hiya,

Found a little(minor) problem.
I have changed over one of my tri's to a flyduino and when i connect everything according to Alex's sites instructions the flyduino and the RX are dead. I knew everything was alright with the Flyduino so i was flummuxed for a second, then i sussed it. The servo is connected to 2 as it says on alex's site but 2 is where the flyduino gets its power from if the jumpers are set and it expects an ESC on 2 thereby powering the board and the RX. I could power the board from the lipo i suppose but i really dont want to do that.
Any sugestions, for example could i alter the code so the servo is on 3 and ESC that should be on 3 altered to 2. Easy(yea right) except i dont have a clue how to do that.

Any help welcome
Ray
Because nobody seemed inclined to help i did the only thing i could and powered the board from the Lipo after removing the jumper that enables you to power from an ESC. So now everything worked except the Servo, i had to replace the jumper to enable the servo to work. So for a Tri you need the board powered from a lipo and the jumper(next to pin 2) bridged. I wonder why this hasn't been mentioned before?
Old May 14, 2011, 12:48 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
@ Whiteturbo, its simple, for the case you want to fly a tri with it, make a solder bridge underneath from Motor 3 to 2 5V pins.
Or take out the red cable from 2 and 3 and swap it.
The 5V jumper is needed too.
And of course you can use the in build Voltage regulator.
@ Geni
It seems there is a problem with the power supply from the FTDI, can you meassure your FTDI 5V pin?
right is it a 5V, how does the pwr led behave?
The Flyduino seems to work properly.
But the sensors is maybe connected the wrong way or the Multiwii soft is configured wrong?
Your wiring looks good (but double check is always good), i think its soft related.
Have you checked to define the right sensors?

Oh and sorry had no internet the last 2 days, was for a job in amsterdam.
Goofy23 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy23
Last edited by Goofy23; May 14, 2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 15, 2011, 05:51 AM
Schweiz
Joined Apr 2008
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy23 View Post
@ Geni
It seems there is a problem with the power supply from the FTDI, can you meassure your FTDI 5V pin?
right is it a 5V, how does the pwr led behave?
The Flyduino seems to work properly.
But the sensors is maybe connected the wrong way or the Multiwii soft is configured wrong?
Your wiring looks good (but double check is always good), i think its soft related.
Have you checked to define the right sensors?
Hi Paul,
i have now made ​​a test with an Arduino Mini Pro and my IMU works fine, except the mag where all three values ​​always display 500.

So the fault must lie with the Flyduino. Paul I'll have my config.h sent via PM to you.

Geni
Old May 15, 2011, 06:34 AM
Deutschland, Schleswig-Holstein, Kiel
Joined Jan 2011
431 Posts
is pin D37 designated to provide resetable 5V power to wmp+ ?

and that still has to be added in code?
alteskind is offline Find More Posts by alteskind