HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:32 PM
The Netherlands, NH, Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2008
136 Posts
Looks great indeed Aiden!

Maybe some of you guys can help me out on mounting my ESC's neatly on my FCP? Please see picture of current situation attached, it is actually the bottom.
EDIT: Normally this mess doesn't show (much) because Rusty's landing gear covers it from beneath, but that also keeps the ESC's from getting airflow.

And another (reminder) question: will the bigger motormounts for FCP fit D3536/9 motors? Spacing of mountingholes is 25x19.
The 2811's I'm running now are already tight on the regular mounts (had to drill out the center hole for clip of shaft).
shufflez is offline Find More Posts by shufflez
Last edited by shufflez; Jul 09, 2012 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added info
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:49 PM
United Kingdom, England, Sheffield
Joined Nov 2009
102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflez View Post
Looks great indeed Aiden!

Maybe some of you guys can help me out on mounting my ESC's neatly on my FCP? Please see picture of current situation attached, it is actually the bottom.
EDIT: Normally this mess doesn't show (much) because Rusty's landing gear covers it from beneath, but that also keeps the ESC's from getting airflow.

And another (reminder) question: will the bigger motormounts for FCP fit D3536/9 motors? Spacing of mountingholes is 25x19.
The 2811's I'm running now are already tight on the regular mounts (had to drill out the center hole for clip of shaft).
The only thing i can suggest is possibly attaching the esc power wires to the opposite side of the FCP and then running the motor wires back on thereselves and into the boom that the esc lies on, hard to explain, do you get what im trying to say?, mannnn id love an octo but its the wires that annoy me. we need wireless lol!

im not sure about the mounting holes so im gunna stay quiet in the hope someone else can help

iv added an attachment, its a quick ms paint job but it may explain better
aidensere07 is offline Find More Posts by aidensere07
Last edited by aidensere07; Jul 09, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2008
136 Posts
Hi Aiden,

Thanks for the idea! Gonna check that tomorrow, but I think the ESC's won't all fit on the FCP Probably the 'diagonal' ESC's wont fit in there and the motor wires would have to go back much further (because of the second clamp).
EDIT: And still the cooling issue remains if I finally decide to switch to 4S for my octo

Trying to avoid too much wiring to, but with an octo running stock PWM ESC's I'm kinda stuck with it The HK wooden quad frame I'm giving to a friend has much neater wiring :P
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:45 PM
Stuttgart, BW, Germany
Germany, BW, Durlangen
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
FCP octo maiden flight

hi guys,

a couple of month ago, i wrote a little bit about an octo with FCP centerplates.
after having many issues trying to flash my esc, i ordered a set of 25A at Paul' s shop.
Those are allready flashed with the simonK firmware, and are compatible with the MT 3506

configuration:
OctoflatX, FCP centerplate, 16x1 alumium booms, MT3506-25 650 kV,12x4,5 props, SimonK 25A esc, 2x 3s 2100mAh flyduino, Divide E Impera V2, BMA020, ITG3200 MultiWii_dev_20120622 .
2950g with gimbal still empty... that's an octofat...
Octocopter maiden flight (6 min 26 sec)

the first part of the job is done now, maiden flight was this evening
fly' s with basic setup, only P on 7, I on 0.040, and rc rate on 2.
have to tune this a bit more, but that' s ok so far.

CU, marc
marc von DEE is offline Find More Posts by marc von DEE
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:40 AM
It didn't flew !
Joined Jul 2011
72 Posts
Flyduino Cheese Plate

Hi everyone!
I'm wondering how much weight will the flyduino cheese plate take (with those 16mm flyduino carbon fiber booms).. thinking about to build an hexa to lift something like a heavy Canon EOS 7D or a Nikon.. does somebody knows if it will take it ?

Cheers!

Andres
aamorin is offline Find More Posts by aamorin
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2008
136 Posts
Hi Andres,

It all depends on where you mount the camera and which hardware you'll be using.

For additional mounting-strenght you might consider using 4 regular standoffs for mounting the electronics to top-plate and use 4 (stainless/RVS?) M3 bolts through both plates for mounting stuff underneath. Use some washers to distribute weight around the mountingholes.

That's my solution for mounting everything below the arms; run bolts through FCP (top to bottom, for easy access), which screw into alloy standoffs mounted to my landinggear/gimbal/lipo combo (Rusty's). Have chosen this solution as an 'intended' weakpoint in case of crash (standoffs will snap/fail, not damaging frame or other gear too much hopefully).

Currently running 105cm (motor-motor) with 2x 3S 3000mAh and GoPro+gimbal and heavy landinggear, the frame is the least of my worries . Can lift the entire unit on one of the booms. 50cm 16mm OD (ID 14mm) pultruded carbon booms, you can go for thicker walled booms too (gaining weight of course).
Old Jul 11, 2012, 04:55 AM
Germany, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Cologne
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
I have a Question on the NanoWii:
Is it possible to use the serialport designed for spektrum for serial-GPS (FMP04)?
Goetz is offline Find More Posts by Goetz
Old Jul 12, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
how can i activate the gps ? do i need to program anything spoecial in the code ? i ticked the box but if i flick the switch the gps thing doesnt become green
M4d_D is offline Find More Posts by M4d_D
Old Jul 13, 2012, 01:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goetz View Post
I have a Question on the NanoWii:
Is it possible to use the serialport designed for spektrum for serial-GPS (FMP04)?
Hi,

i would be.. but with a 10DOF IMU + Serial GPS the the code want fit to the atmega32u4.. so you will need to use a I2C GPS .. or a flyduino Mega with serial GPS..

regards Felix
juuuut is offline Find More Posts by juuuut
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:30 AM
Joined Mar 2008
136 Posts
Hi Goetz,
Hardware-wise it might work. looking at the ATmega32u4 datasheet. It seems the connection is a regular serial port, so you should be able to change this in the code. Please see MultiWii forum for instructions on that. I can't tell from the NanoWii pictures if the special connector for Spektrum is on there, but if it is, you'd have to find the other (TX from board) connection as Spektrum only uses 3 wires (VCC, Signal/TX from satellite to RX from board, GND) and you need 4 for GPS (VCC, TX, RX, GND).
Regarding software I can't say anything about the code not fitting on 32u4... There's a special section in the code for ProMicro, Leonardo and 32u4 (last two are the same I believe?).

M4d_D: Please look into the config.h for your GPS settings, it's all there The green light on my board always lights up if powered on. So there might be a connection issue? BTW GPS_FIX LED doesn't work standard (see couple of pages back). I use beeper to confirm GPS_FIX (beeps like crazy if not fixed to GPS when switched on).

Cheers,

Ruben
Old Jul 13, 2012, 06:44 AM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
the green led on my gps is always on , at least inside the house but the green rectangle in the gui doesnt switch on even if i tick the box
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
ok , i think i found the problem , can anyone give me more information about flashing the gps ? i do not have a clue and i would even prefer to buy a new gps from paul but i have two old ones which i would need to flash, so a tutorial would be great :-)
Old Jul 13, 2012, 04:47 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2011
58 Posts
there is a tutorial in the multiwii.com forum, google it
x4FF3 is offline Find More Posts by x4FF3
Old Jul 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Mar 2008
136 Posts
You mean that ramble of mine I wrote out of frustration?
HOW-TO: Update FMP04
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
thx