HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:29 AM
Fabio Varesano
Torino, Italy
Joined Jan 2011
419 Posts
General informations, designs, etc at the FreeIMU project page

Right now, only the v0.3.5_BMP is available and can be bought here.
fax8 is offline Find More Posts by fax8
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterplay View Post
Hallo aBUGSnightmare,

have you got a picture, that i can see the conection from the free imu to the board?

I have the new free imu and there is no pin for the 5V, only 3,3. i don't now if i can use another pin for the regulator?

I use the flyduinoboard with the flydusense 1 or 2

Thank you

Michael
Hi Michael,

sorry, I have no picture (since I've never used a FreeIMU so far)!
But, the FreeIMU has a onboard voltage regulator (Vin = 3.3V to 16V; refer to http://www.varesano.net/projects/hardware/FreeIMU) --> you can connect it to 5V too.
Be shure to disable the internal pull-ups
//enable internal I2C pull ups
//#define INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS

or use the logic level converter (LLC) on the flydusense V2 (round board). You don't need to mount the 3.3V pullups on the flydusense V2 in case of using the LLC (since the FreeIMU has own pull-ups).

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare
aBUGSnightmare is offline Find More Posts by aBUGSnightmare
Last edited by aBUGSnightmare; Oct 07, 2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:09 PM
Deutschland, BW, Muggensturm
Joined May 2011
21 Posts
ladys i need your help. im building an y4 copter. its ready for take of , but got a problem. how to mount the back bottom prop ? potor ccw ,but the prop ? normal or upsidedown ? when both props are upright the copter flips over to the front. looks like there is to much power in the back. anybody an idear ?

greets

alex
tevion4670 is offline Find More Posts by tevion4670
Old Oct 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
United Kingdom, England, West York
Joined Aug 2008
181 Posts
Hi,
can anybody help please?

I have looked through many pages on the forum and not found this info, just the odd photo.
I have bought a Flydusense V2 board, I emailed Flyduino ( Paul ?) for a wiring diagram for the various connection options but I never got them.

Please does anybody have this information, or could let me know where I can find it.
I am wanting to use a copy WMP that needs 3.3v and a BMA020. I have found diags for other Flyduino products but not the elusive V2 board..

Thanks

Shaun
2.4g shaun is online now Find More Posts by 2.4g shaun
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:15 PM
France, Centre
Joined May 2011
95 Posts
Green : I2C 3.3V
Orange : I2C 5V
Yellow : BMA020

With WMP in 5V + BMA020 :
Thyzoon is offline Find More Posts by Thyzoon
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:36 PM
United Kingdom, England, West York
Joined Aug 2008
181 Posts
Thanks...

Thats very helpful.

I'm not connecting it to a WMC though it is to a custom board a friend makes using an Atmel chip ( same spec as UNO)
2.4g shaun is online now Find More Posts by 2.4g shaun
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
can only add this
http://i.imgur.com/piiUi.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GMWsn.jpg
Goofy23 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old Oct 08, 2011, 12:49 PM
Joined Dec 2006
845 Posts
VTOL-NURI Testflight before Inter-EX 2010 (1 min 40 sec)

Transitional flight of Vtol-Nuri at Inter-Ex 2010 (0 min 58 sec)

any ideas on how to implement that in our software ?

cheers
M4d_D is offline Find More Posts by M4d_D
Old Oct 08, 2011, 02:18 PM
Winterswijk, Netherlands
Joined Jun 2007
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyzoon View Post
Green : I2C 3.3V
Orange : I2C 5V
Yellow : BMA020

With WMP in 5V + BMA020 :

I got the WMP and BMA020 working as above together with a flyduino.
But now I want to add a BMP085 and HC5883, which are both 3.3 V devices.

I'm a little puzzled how to use the LLC.

In this picture, it shows the 2 resistors Paul provided with the Flydusense V2 in the 5 volt position, and nothing in the optional 3 volt position. This is the same as what I have at the moment (WMP + BMA020 only)

As far as I understand, to use the BMP085 and HC5883, together with the WMP + BMA020, I should use the 3.3V I2C headers shown in green above.

Will it work as in the picture, or Should I put any resistors in the 3 volt position, and if I do, should I remove them from 5 volt ?
What value should those resistors be ?
wilco1967 is offline Find More Posts by wilco1967
Last edited by wilco1967; Oct 08, 2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:04 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Jan 2011
1,075 Posts
hm as i dont know if our sensors have 3.3V pullups on it hard to guess.
But ithink you have to populate some, arround 3.3K would be good.
If there are no resistors the sensors wont work, populate them then.
The green headers are fine, those are the llc ones.
Goofy23 is offline Find More Posts by Goofy23
Old Oct 08, 2011, 07:33 PM
Deutschland, SH, Kiel
Joined Jul 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco1967 View Post

In this picture, it shows the 2 resistors Paul provided with the Flydusense V2 in the 5 volt position, and nothing in the optional 3 volt position. This is the same as what I have at the moment (WMP + BMA020 only)

As far as I understand, to use the BMP085 and HC5883, together with the WMP + BMA020, I should use the 3.3V I2C headers shown in green above.

Will it work as in the picture, or Should I put any resistors in the 3 volt position, and if I do, should I remove them from 5 volt ?
I had the same question a while back, I did it like shown in the picture and used the 3.3V supply aside to the sda scl connections to the atav.. boards.

Works finde until now..

what do you think?

Nils
jevermeister is offline Find More Posts by jevermeister
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:08 AM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:

Hi,

since you did not provide any details on the sensors I need to guess a little, so:
a) you don't need to change your current setup (I assume it's working correctly)
b) populate all logic level converter parts (3.3V pull-up resistors (as detailed by Paul), 5V pull-up resistors (I think Paul supplied 6.8kOhm) and both BS170)
c) connect SDA and SDL from your sensors to the flydusense 2x5 pinheads (sockets for ATAVRSBIN1 and ATAVRSBPR1; refer too http://flyduino.net/bilder/produkte/...V2-mit-LLC.jpg). The pins were clearly labeled. I would connect each sensor to one of them since this eases your soldering work.
d) since you have external pull-ups you should disable them in the sketch

aBUGSworstnightmare
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:59 AM
Winterswijk, Netherlands
Joined Jun 2007
136 Posts
Thanks....

To clarify, I got loose sensors, from CSG

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/HMC5883L-HMC5...6#ht_956wt_905

and

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/BMP085-Barome...#ht_1109wt_905

The BMP-085 apparently has pull up resistors acc to the description, the 5883 does not....
I can measure 2.2 kohm between Vcc and SDA or SCL lines on the 085, and infinite on the 5883, so that seems to confirm only the 085 has pull-ups.

Earlier, I had them on a flydusense V1 board (the square one), with LLC. It worked flawlessly with the BMA020 / WMP on the 5 volt side, and BMP-085 and 5883 on the 3.3 volt side of the LLC's.
After I mentioned (in RCG) I had a small hickup where I lost the sensors, probably due to a loose contact somewhere (never found the cause, but it never happened again), Paul kindly put a new Flydusense V2 with my shipment for Free (Thanks again Paul Really appreciate it, even though I don't think the old Flydusense was faulty at all) so now I try to move them to the V2, because I really like the rubber grommits solution for vibration damping.

Anyway.... as the BMP does seem to have pull-ups already, I just go ahead, and try without putting anything extra on the 3.3 pullup side.

I did some poking around with the multimeter on the board, and I think I start to understand what goes where... .
The SDA-2 / SCL-2 lines from the 'green' block, go through both BS-170's (which are the actual LLC's, correct ?) to the SDA-1 / SCL-1 of the Flyduino.... The 5V pullups, are on the 'flyduino' side of the LLC's, and the 3.3 V pullups are on the 'green' side of the LLC's .... (hope you still understand.... I don't understand myself anymore

So as the BMP-085, which will go on the 'green' side, already has 3.3 V pull-ups, I don't need extra pull-ups....

I'll give it a try, and report back

-----------
EDIT:

It's working !
only using the 5V pull-ups.... nothing on the 3.3 volt positions of the Flydusense.... On the 3.3V side of the LLC, it is using the pull-ups from the BMP-085 board.

So to recap:
- Flyduino pull-ups disabled (commented in MultiWii code)
- 5V pull-up resistors installed on flydusense V2 (providing pull-up on the 5V side of the LLC's)
- 3.3 pull-ups installed on BMP-085 board, so not required on Flydusense. (providing pull-up on the 3.3V side if the LLC's).

Thanks again for everbody's help..... Your comments made things a lot clearer !

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBUGSnightmare View Post
Hi,

since you did not provide any details on the sensors I need to guess a little, so:
a) you don't need to change your current setup (I assume it's working correctly)
b) populate all logic level converter parts (3.3V pull-up resistors (as detailed by Paul), 5V pull-up resistors (I think Paul supplied 6.8kOhm) and both BS170)
c) connect SDA and SDL from your sensors to the flydusense 2x5 pinheads (sockets for ATAVRSBIN1 and ATAVRSBPR1; refer too http://flyduino.net/bilder/produkte/...V2-mit-LLC.jpg). The pins were clearly labeled. I would connect each sensor to one of them since this eases your soldering work.
d) since you have external pull-ups you should disable them in the sketch

aBUGSworstnightmare
wilco1967 is offline Find More Posts by wilco1967
Last edited by wilco1967; Oct 09, 2011 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Success !
Old Oct 09, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Jul 2011
188 Posts
Quote:
Thanks....

and

The BMP-085 apparently has pull up resistors acc to the description, the 5883 does not....
I can measure 2.2 kohm between Vcc and SDA or SCL lines on the 085, and infinite on the 5883, so that seems to confirm only the 085 has pull-ups.

Earlier, I had them on a flydusense V1 board (the square one), with LLC. It worked flawlessly with the BMA020 / WMP on the 5 volt side, and BMP-085 and 5883 on the 3.3 volt side of the LLC's.
After I mentioned (in RCG) I had a small hickup where I lost the sensors, probably due to a loose contact somewhere (never found the cause, but it never happened again), Paul kindly put a new Flydusense V2 with my shipment for Free (Thanks again Paul Really appreciate it, even though I don't think the old Flydusense was faulty at all) so now I try to move them to the V2, because I really like the rubber grommits solution for vibration damping.

Anyway.... as the BMP does seem to have pull-ups already, I just go ahead, and try without putting anything extra on the 3.3 pullup side.

I did some poking around with the multimeter on the board, and I think I start to understand what goes where... .
The SDA-2 / SCL-2 lines from the 'green' block, go through both BS-170's (which are the actual LLC's, correct ?) to the SDA-1 / SCL-1 of the Flyduino.... The 5V pullups, are on the 'flyduino' side of the LLC's, and the 3.3 V pullups are on the 'green' side of the LLC's .... (hope you still understand.... I don't understand myself anymore

So as the BMP-085, which will go on the 'green' side, already has 3.3 V pull-ups, I don't need extra pull-ups....

Hi wilco1967,

yes, you're right! Seems like this BMP085 has some pull-ups in place --> you don't need to put some on the flydusense V2.

Rgds
aBUGSworstnightmare
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:53 AM
Deutschland, SH, Kiel
Joined Jul 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Thanks....

and

-----------
EDIT:

It's working !
only using the 5V pull-ups.... nothing on the 3.3 volt positions of the Flydusense.... On the 3.3V side of the LLC, it is using the pull-ups from the BMP-085 board.

So to recap:
- Flyduino pull-ups disabled (commented in MultiWii code)
- 5V pull-up resistors installed on flydusense V2 (providing pull-up on the 5V side of the LLC's)
- 3.3 pull-ups installed on BMP-085 board, so not required on Flydusense. (providing pull-up on the 3.3V side if the LLC's).

Thanks again for everbody's help..... Your comments made things a lot clearer !
I use the same sensors from the same seller, can you make a photo of your setup?
I installed the like this:

Software pullups are still enabled but it is working fine...

Is this still correct?

Nils
jevermeister is offline Find More Posts by jevermeister