HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:22 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflier View Post
Well HH got back to me………..my YAK checked out OK nothing wrong that they could find, but they are going to send me out a new one (THANK YOU HH). But still a little concered that “nothing was wrong” I know I’m not the best pilot but I can pull out of loop , I guess I’ll just swap out the servos for some new ones and pray. I added the video of the 1st and only flight, sorry for the quality it was done on a cell phone enjoy
Looking at the vid, on top of the loop inverted, you or the airplane throttled up a bit and then went full bore at three o'clock

Could be that you lost elevator response and powered up thinking that air speed was too low. Could be the elevator servo plague so many others had.

Happy HH took care of you, keep the video shoots going, good luck with the new one.

EDITED... Guys are also experiencing ESC issues, yours could have gone wacko on you too when it went full bore.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Last edited by turboready; Apr 27, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:55 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Anyone heard that they are going on sale? Some say that they are, guess they will try to make sure guys don't run away from HH products
Old Apr 28, 2011, 07:55 PM
Suspended Account
ohio
Joined Jan 2010
472 Posts
um.....jmo.....but airplanes arent meant to roll this fast!!! something has to give!!! how much do you expect a plane to take anyway? with the winds and all.....then blame eflight for a bad product?????? come on!!!!! sorry.......i just have no sympathy for you. you go sit in the cockpit of a full scale plane sometime....and do a barrel roll....then think about airplanes!!!
ed1978 is offline Find More Posts by ed1978
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
ed...This plane is designed to roll that fast. RC planes are designed to handle things no pilot could handle. Even real planes could be designed to handle all that; but a pilot can only take so many G's. That was perfectly normal flying for this plane, and that is no reason to cut Eflite slack they don't deserve.

Straight from the Eflite website...With the designer flying it...
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:31 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
642 Posts
Many of the problems I had were right out of the box with no flying involved.
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:50 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed1978 View Post
um.....jmo.....but airplanes arent meant to roll this fast!!! something has to give!!! how much do you expect a plane to take anyway? with the winds and all.....then blame eflight for a bad product?????? come on!!!!! sorry.......i just have no sympathy for you. you go sit in the cockpit of a full scale plane sometime....and do a barrel roll....then think about airplanes!!!
It depends on what you fly..... and what you pay for. I would expect more from a real Edge 540 than I would a Piper Pawnee (my last ride) than I would a 172/182 etc.

If you purchased one of these, you would be attracted to, and enjoy the flying envelope it promises. For almost 3 times the price of the similarly sized MPX Acromaster which is also a 3D model, the CZ Yak offers something more scale in appearance but is way off in durability, pointability and general performance.

The user manual of the CZ also recommends different throws and rates that clearly anticipates engineering to withstand extreme flying. Quite simply it does not deliver, which is mostly due to the components not matching the engineering.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:47 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,969 Posts
I've yet to have a problem with mine other than the motor mount & crap OEM prop. Rest of the plane seems tough as nails.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 30, 2011, 06:55 PM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I finally got a response from HH, they want me to send the plane in, hopefully I can get a replacement!
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old May 02, 2011, 11:23 AM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
I know that most guys in the hobby would be aware of lots of little things we often overlook.

I decided to get the Yak and picked it up last Thursday. I was putting it together an noticed that the control rod for the elevator protrudes far into the servo arm clevis.

If it was left this way, it would DEFINITELY bind the servo when the elevator was deflected upwards.

I had to remove it and cut off the excess with my dremel and I also cut the servo arm too. I could have done either or, but I am a a perfectionist

I am not sure if this was the issue with many people.
Old May 04, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined May 2011
1 Posts
Yak went down today on about pack 10 of its life. About 100+ feet up and level, it just shut off. No motor or servo control. It made a slow 180 turn and went down behind a hill. Snapped the fuse in half. When I plug it in the esc arms but still no servo or motor function still. Not real happy about this!
terrydrew is offline Find More Posts by terrydrew
Old May 06, 2011, 08:56 AM
United States, VA, Louisa
Joined Apr 2007
18 Posts
There's another design issue with the Carbon-Z Yak that I haven't seen mentioned here; sorry if I missed it. The small wing attachment shoulder bolts pass through a hole in a small black plastic keeper on the fuselage. The plastic keeper extends only about 1/16" beyond the bolt hole. If the wing is not firmly and fully inserted into the fuselage the attachment bolt will just miss the keeper hole. Since the attachment bolt threads into the wing, it will tighten up normally. All will seem well until the wing comes loose and the model does an unbelieveably rapid roll into the ground. Please pull firmly on the wing to make sure it's properly attached. Several well known fliers at SEFF indicated that precisely this had happened to them. Beware.
w4sm is offline Find More Posts by w4sm
Old May 06, 2011, 05:53 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrydrew View Post
Yak went down today on about pack 10 of its life. About 100+ feet up and level, it just shut off. No motor or servo control. It made a slow 180 turn and went down behind a hill. Snapped the fuse in half. When I plug it in the esc arms but still no servo or motor function still. Not real happy about this!
Check the switch on the esc. Mine was a problem too but I only had trouble on the ground. LUCKY. I swapped the esc and upgraded the motor and motor mount at the same time. The only stock items now is the frame!!
Old May 06, 2011, 07:59 PM
pilot
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined May 2011
59 Posts
My on/off switch came unglued also, as did the hatch magnets in short order. unbalanced prop/spinner led to motor mount failure and 1st crash. either vibration or bent shaft led to two flights where propeller was jetisoned in flight.... I just lucked out that more wasn't damaged. I bought a motor mount from SmallRCParts.com excellent.... that and the wing are beautiful. The power train so far is completely flawed and shouldn't have gone into production as it is.
Props is offline Find More Posts by Props
Old May 07, 2011, 06:19 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
Hi guys,
I have a Carbon Yak as well.
Thinking of replacing the speed control, servos, battery
Could you tell me which speed control and servos to get from Hobbyking?
I just dont want a crash right now
thanks! Kevin
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old May 07, 2011, 06:49 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,955 Posts
I use imolab 202dmg but I only use castle fir esc.