HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2011, 05:38 PM
Oh no not again!!!
United States, VA, Loudoun
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Hi I'm new here stumbled on the thread because I got my yak on Sat and maiden her on Mon....1 min and 15 secs into the flight I was doing a loop and at the top lost control of the elevator.....dove straight down @110 ft and just exploded, I thought it was a radio issue till I started reading these post got video of it since it was my 1st flight. Called HH and sent the pieces :-( to them today. If they send me a new one I agree that I'm not sure I want to fly it I fly a very large school and there people there from time to time had someone been there on crash day and I had hit them I'm pretty sure they would not be in good shape
Badflier is offline Find More Posts by Badflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:24 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Welcome to the forums BF. Sorry to hear about your Yak. I feel your pain.

You should check out this thread as well.
Post 633 to be specific, but pretty much everything you need to know about this plane is somewhere in that thread.

For those that have not seen the dissection of the servos, check that post as well.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:06 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badflier View Post
Hi I'm new here stumbled on the thread because I got my yak on Sat and maiden her on Mon....1 min and 15 secs into the flight I was doing a loop and at the top lost control of the elevator.....dove straight down @110 ft and just exploded, I thought it was a radio issue till I started reading these post got video of it since it was my 1st flight. Called HH and sent the pieces :-( to them today. If they send me a new one I agree that I'm not sure I want to fly it I fly a very large school and there people there from time to time had someone been there on crash day and I had hit them I'm pretty sure they would not be in good shape
If they send you a new plane I would install new HiTec
82MG servos and a new APC prop BEFORE the first flight...
Also used button head screws with lock washers on the motor mount...
I installed my servos with hot glue and went Quick and Easy..
To Bad we have to do this with a NEW plane ......
Walt...
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Apr 23, 2011, 07:56 PM
Tom Holdren
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
5th flight on the Yak today. Motor mount broke in all 4 spots but I was very lucky to have enough speed into the wind to bring it down in a field essentially untouched. I will never fly this thing again without a CNC prop from Sotog. I'm so mad at myself for not installing the custom mount when it came in the mail.

It amazes me this hunk of junk is $400 with all the issues it has.
FlipFlops365 is offline Find More Posts by FlipFlops365
Old Apr 25, 2011, 08:39 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
With all the yaking, literally about all the carbon-Z stuff and QuiQue showing you the wing can sustain a 45lb barbell, they cant produce a damn good servo to go with this package? I think we should upload a youtube video for QuiQue to see all the engine mount and servo failures and ask him when the new design for that will come out.

I hate the fact that ppl have to shell out 400 buck plus taxes for this well bragged about airplane and then lose it to cheap inferior components.

Since John from HH and Quique can brag about this Yak on you tube, we should call John and bring him up to speed with the servo and engine mount failures.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:23 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboready View Post
With all the yaking, literally about all the carbon-Z stuff and QuiQue showing you the wing can sustain a 45lb barbell, they cant produce a damn good servo to go with this package? I think we should upload a youtube video for QuiQue to see all the engine mount and servo failures and ask him when the new design for that will come out.

I hate the fact that ppl have to shell out 400 buck plus taxes for this well bragged about airplane and then lose it to cheap inferior components.

Since John from HH and Quique can brag about this Yak on you tube, we should call John and bring him up to speed with the servo and engine mount failures.
Oh, I did...

Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54 Servo (EFLR 7140) = Crash! (4 min 31 sec)
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:24 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
And one more...

EFLR 7140 burnt up (7 min 57 sec)
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:02 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
I wish HH would step up to the plate and send me a new yak! After losing my elevator servo the first time and crashing it (see 1st pic below) I rebuilt the plane (2nd pic) it cost me a new eflite lipo, motor shaft, prop, spinner, caps for the esc, bottle of glue and 2 days to drive around and get all the parts and make the repairs. Well the next flight after the repairs it was flying great until 4 minutes and I lost the elevator servo again at 300' and watched it plunge into the ground (3rd pic) ! I lost the brand new lipo, esc is busted up, I think the motor is done (not sure cause there is too much mud jammed in there) the fuse is cracked in half again and the nose is pushed in pretty good. Probably cost me another $300 to repair the damage. HH sent me an email saying they would replace the servo, I sent them back an email requesting a new plane and haven't heard anything. I opened up the servo and found the green wire burnt pretty good about half way through the wire (4th pic) I can't believe HH isn't doing a better job of compensating customers especially when they have proof of a manufacturing defect !
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:18 AM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,957 Posts
When one of these models maimes somebody, we are likely to get an authority mandating a product recall. It's a pity we will have to wait for that. As I said earlier, I replaced sevos, motor mount, motor and esc. I would hate to thonk this was all necessary for the Hurricane too. J
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:06 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,878 Posts
I havent read thru all the threads, could someone tell me what the defect is in this bird. Been considering buying one.
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:51 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
I havent read thru all the threads, could someone tell me what the defect is in this bird. Been considering buying one.
Which one? Poorly glued control horns? Motor mounts that you have to fill out a form to get a replacement? Props that won't balance and will tear the mount and motor up? Servo failures?
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:48 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
The fuse likes to crack in half too!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:56 AM
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,214 Posts
If you like gambling you might have some fun with the yak, on the other hand you could be wasting your money! I won the first 5 flights, lost the 6th one and the 7th one, which cost me almost $600 so I'm out, I had enough LOL!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 05:11 PM
Oh no not again!!!
United States, VA, Loudoun
Joined Apr 2011
21 Posts
Well HH got back to me………..my YAK checked out OK nothing wrong that they could find, but they are going to send me out a new one (THANK YOU HH). But still a little concered that “nothing was wrong” I know I’m not the best pilot but I can pull out of loop , I guess I’ll just swap out the servos for some new ones and pray. I added the video of the 1st and only flight, sorry for the quality it was done on a cell phone enjoy

Yak Crash .wmv (2 min 24 sec)
Badflier is offline Find More Posts by Badflier
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:04 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Oh, I did...
Nice!!!!!!! Good man, thats great bud that you took the effort and time to do that, I am sure many benefited from that. Happy to see guys like you in the hobby.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready