HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:13 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Not the point I was making. Futaba, JR, Spek, Tactic...whatever. If you set your travel adjust and then use a reversing switch...The potential for overclocking the servo would exist. Not saying it's your fault the servo failed, I just want to understand what is causing the servos to fail; especially on the elevator. To me, what I mentioned above seems to be one of the most logical possibilities so far.
Sorry i am not the smartest guy when it comes to this things. PLease explain why you would ever set your control surface throws/travel before reversing the servos and then reverse them to throw the control surface the right way / set full deflection. I am confused. What did i miss?
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2011, 10:35 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
No parpar, you aren't missing anything. It would either be an accident or a mistake made without much thought that wouldn't matter as much on other planes. The way the instructions read though; they don't say anything about reversing prior to travel adjust. They almost sound like the first thing you should do is perform the travel adjust.

Now sadly I report the death of a CZ Yak, and add to the servo saga...I stripped the gears on the stock servo on the left wing when I had the prop fly off 5 feet up. So I had two spare/replacement Eflite 7140's on hand. No big deal. Replaced the servo, actuated it and it worked fine. Actuated it some more prior to flight; and what's this? Locked in full deflection (it was on the aileron). Replaced it with the other spare Eflite 7140. Checked it and checked it again. Worked fine. Went to the field, performed pre flight checks 3 times and all was well. Took off, 30 sec in to the flight in went in to an uncontrollable corkscrew. Yep, you guessed it...The replaced servo locked in full deflection. Needless to say she ended up hitting terra firma hard. I had no problems with the stock servos that came on the planes, but after further research it is obvious that there is an intermittent short in BOTH spares I had in the flight box. Post flight inspection shows that all three stock servos perform normally, but the replacement 7140 would intermittently lock in full deflection.

I'm very confident in and satisfied with Eflite customer service; but please keep an eye on those replacement servos and maybe we can prevent more of this same issue.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 18, 2011, 06:29 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Servo failure video...On a brand new servo.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:05 PM
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Feb 2011
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
good job capturing that.
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old Mar 19, 2011, 03:48 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Thanks parpar. Hope it save some people trouble, and aids in holding HH responsible for this. Was lucky I had two spare servos on hand. Damage can always be blamed on a crash during failure analysis (even when there's a known issue)...But with a brand new one doing the same thing it should provide some solid evidence.

Eflite Carbon Z Yak 54 Servo (EFLR 7140) = Crash! (4 min 31 sec)
Old Mar 20, 2011, 09:28 AM
USA, Ellensburg, Central Washington State
Joined Jul 2003
110 Posts
Sorry to say Gentleman, the ONLY correction to this servo problem
is to replace them with HS82MG servos all four....Walt
Walt and Sage is offline Find More Posts by Walt and Sage
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:41 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt and Sage View Post
Sorry to say Gentleman, the ONLY correction to this servo problem
is to replace them with HS82MG servos all four....Walt
Or a digital servo...HS5065's or HS5055's are a close fit...not sure which would be better or most suitable; but I do know one is actually a "close" to the same dimensions.

Now that brings up the question of how in the heck Eflite/HH is going to manage to correct this. If they had used a standard sized servo, they could have just started putting different servos in or replacing servos.

Not sure how I want to handle this even if they do replace the plane...Feel like they should also supply me with four servos of my choice because I don't think I can ever trust these servos again. $400 is a little steep for this plane BNF; but $525-$600 (once you replace the servos) is just stupid. I could almost build a 51" 3dhs slick for that price AND buy a spare fuse and wing set.
Last edited by StormJunkie; Mar 20, 2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,927 Posts
I replaced mine with mtal gear digitals from Imolab at a good prices from HK. I did need to use a sharp exacto to widen the holes a little. but a decent moddeling file would work just as well. Remember to attach a long servo extension to the RX end of the servo before pulling it out to make it easy to pull the new servo cable through for reconnection.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Mar 22, 2011, 07:55 AM
SouthernHoneyBee
Columbia, SC USA
Joined Dec 2004
322 Posts
You can add another carbon z that had a servo failure to the list.
The servo went had left in flight and stayed there.
It was a rudder servo and was able to land the aircraft without any
damage.
Waiting replacement from HH.
SouthernFly is offline Find More Posts by SouthernFly
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:12 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
SouthernFly, please capture video of that if you can! Thanks, and thanks for chiming in; if HH will admit the problem and get this fixed...This really can be a very fun plane.

Glad you got her down safely!
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
Oh dear!

Nothing here sounds good! I was looking a one of these.... But now? +$400 on something that may go south?

Mmmmmmmmmm!

I'll give this one a miss I think.... Unless they fix it....

Sad really as it looks so nice in the lhs!

Please keep the updates coming! And thanks for the heads up too!

Chris
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Mar 24, 2011, 11:14 AM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
It really is sad as it's a very fun plane to fly.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:05 PM
Flying is Fun.Even if U Crash!
Australia, VIC, Ringwood
Joined Jul 2010
436 Posts
and not to forget about the engine mount failures too!

Wots going on at E-flite.... CZ... MCPX blades flying off... ????
Claydoc is offline Find More Posts by Claydoc
Old Mar 24, 2011, 04:28 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claydoc View Post
and not to forget about the engine mount failures too!

Wots going on at E-flite.... CZ... MCPX blades flying off... ????
Very soft retail market.... even softer hobby/discretional spend market and a drive to keep margins by getting cheaper suppliers. The result is quality control trade-off. That's my reading anyway.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Mar 24, 2011, 07:45 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
Very soft retail market.... even softer hobby/discretional spend market and a drive to keep margins by getting cheaper suppliers. The result is quality control trade-off. That's my reading anyway.
That logic may sound reasonable in the "right now", but with 10 years working in QC and one semester away from having my degree in QC...You can either pay for quality now, or you can pay much more later. It's the whole instant gratification thing, I don't understand why companies keep doing it and driving themselves in to the ground.