HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
24 Posts
So I had mine flying this weekend with the gopro attached (Cool footage!) I almost crashed because the LVC came on. you can hear it and see it at around 3min on this video:

E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 GoPro Camera Footage (4 min 24 sec)
Natemare13 is offline Find More Posts by Natemare13
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Hamburg
Joined Mar 2004
102 Posts
My YAK 54 Carbon Z crashed while low passing very surprisingly into the ground:
http://www.szenerien.de/YAK_54_Carbo...11%20-%201.jpg
After almost 8 weeks I got a replacement plane from my store. But I don't know if the servo problem is solved by a new kit-version.
EPPforFUN is offline Find More Posts by EPPforFUN
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:58 PM
Italy
Joined Jan 2011
69 Posts
i have just bought my 4th C-Z last week.
Number 1, 158 flights no problems at all. very glad about the plane performance, it is the best flying foamie of all times.
Number 2, about 15 flights, crashed due to signal loss, AR600.
Number 3, crashed after 10 flights, aileron servo got stuck on max throw during a harrier roll, it kept rolling and rolling till it reached the ground.
Number 4. bought it last week, crashed (well luckily almost no damage) on its 4th flight, apparently the plane turned itself off after a few seconds inflight, when i reached the wreckage i heard the 4 beeps of the startup procedure. Battery was still connected, everything working fine. havent flown it since.

I am very sad about this plane, its given me the best joys and the worst nightmares. I only want to fly it, thats all i ask.
MiddyFra is offline Find More Posts by MiddyFra
Old Dec 05, 2011, 09:38 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
I'd been eyeballing this plane on the net for a while, and the other day I was in the LHS for just some fuel line...

Anyway, set it up that evening and maidened the next day (yesterday). I just flew around mellow, one gentile loop and landed- got home and found this thread.

Figures.

Anyway, have some of these issues been sorted out on the current production?
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:35 PM
Make UAVs, not drones! ;-)
Vancouver, BC Canada...eh!
Joined Feb 2010
641 Posts
Tried to replace motor shaft. Heated both screws prior to turning. Both seized completely and stripped. Motor is a complete right off as they don't sell the replacement can. I think I can honestly say I'm 100% done with Horizon Hobbies. This last little treat was the icing on the cake. This plane has been a real disappointment. Their reps work their butts off but the product is poop!!! Was thinking about a new DX8 but I am so let down by this experience I think someone else will get my money.

Selling a replacement shaft for a motor that cannot have its shaft removed is just nonsense and not offering to help out in any way is an insult. Enough time wasted with Horizon Hobbies!!!!!!!!!!! Ya, I'm pissed.
jazzboy is offline Find More Posts by jazzboy
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:09 PM
Never fly an A model anything!
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,924 Posts
I have reversed a shaft although not replaced it. I suppose its te same proceedure.

I didnt heat anything but I did use a very high quality Hex driver as I have learned before to use the best and save the most.

I also reversed the shaft on a BL32 same procedure.

This is my first Yak and have had many, many flights on it. I swapped out all the servos, motor, motor mount and esc. I was lucky as most issues materialised on the ground. Errrrr, you can see from the photo that losing an elevator with a high powered scorp and 10x10 prop at WOT is not good for the model. I just ordered all the parts about $160 for the foam bits.
jayb1rdz is offline Find More Posts by jayb1rdz
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Feb 2010
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayb1rdz View Post
I have reversed a shaft although not replaced it. I suppose its te same proceedure.

I didnt heat anything but I did use a very high quality Hex driver as I have learned before to use the best and save the most.

I also reversed the shaft on a BL32 same procedure.

This is my first Yak and have had many, many flights on it. I swapped out all the servos, motor, motor mount and esc. I was lucky as most issues materialised on the ground. Errrrr, you can see from the photo that losing an elevator with a high powered scorp and 10x10 prop at WOT is not good for the model. I just ordered all the parts about $160 for the foam bits.
I have done shaft reversals before and use a high quality Century heli driver. The thing was stuck.

Sorry 'bout your Yak. I think these things hurt more because it does fly so well.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:04 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,924 Posts
Thanks for the condolences. Yep the airframe works well and I have really pushed mine beyond it's design spec, so no tears here. It actually went in racing against a buddies Eflite Shoestring since my shoestring didn't make the flight line. It held it's own until... Well you can see!

If you were in Syd, I could you have my old stock motor. We leave it at the club as a spare since every member has one. I usually fly MVVS or scorps in these depending on prop size and purpose.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:09 AM
Joined Feb 2010
641 Posts
What model of Scorpion would you recommend for the Yak? Might be a fun option to get it back into the air ;-)
Old Dec 13, 2011, 01:14 AM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2008
4,924 Posts
It went in with a 3026 -880 kv. But I have also run it with a Neu 1415 1.5y (1500kv) on 4s 10x8 and that was just silly!
Old Jan 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Hi Guys,

I had great results with my Yak. Flew it with a GoPro mounted on it, took it Barbados where i flew us December to now and just sold it there before my return back to Canada.

I flew it in high winds, bumpy like crazy, flew it into low horizon sun upon landing and thought it was over, but regained it and landed.

Only mods I did were APC prop, new motor mount and carbon fiber vinyl under the belly and HS81 MG's in the tail...............loved this airplane.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Oct 2011
105 Posts
My z crashed on the third takeoff after two great flights. It got a foot or so off the ground on takeoff and went into a snaproll all on its own. HH sent me a new fuse and I put new Hitek servos in it. I got two flights out of it when it violently jerked up on its own. I came around to land and it violently rolled then nosedived into the ground. Its not the servos, its the junk recievers they put in them.
Bipesexual is offline Find More Posts by Bipesexual
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:04 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzboy View Post
Tried to replace motor shaft. Heated both screws prior to turning. Both seized completely and stripped. Motor is a complete right off as they don't sell the replacement can. I think I can honestly say I'm 100% done with Horizon Hobbies. This last little treat was the icing on the cake. This plane has been a real disappointment. Their reps work their butts off but the product is poop!!! Was thinking about a new DX8 but I am so let down by this experience I think someone else will get my money.

Selling a replacement shaft for a motor that cannot have its shaft removed is just nonsense and not offering to help out in any way is an insult. Enough time wasted with Horizon Hobbies!!!!!!!!!!! Ya, I'm pissed.
Amen! I don't think I'll ever be able to be 100% done with them, servo extensions at lhs, lhs that buys hitech through them, EC3, etc...BUT I am 98% done with them. Even a Futaba man now...Love the 8fg even if it was a pain to get used to the programming.

Servos, RX's, whatever it is...Buying HH is a money pit. Yeah, Balsa isn't cheap to build up...But neither is buying shafts that you can't even replace. Really can't believe that is still going on. Think it is part of their marketing plan. It has nothing to do with the quality of the driver, only if you got lucky and had one you could replace or not. I had one I could, and a couple I couldn't. I still have a handfull of parts for this junk HH product...Including a unreplaceable shaft motor. If anyone is interested, I'll make a great deal...Wings, wing tubes, landing gear..Haven't touched the stuff in a yr since I started flying 3dhs & Extreme Flight.

Enjoying the hobby much more these days...Even when I crash cause I know it was my fault.
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Mar 06, 2012, 11:01 AM
Goiterboy
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
What would you want for the wings shipped to cali?
Goiterboy is offline Find More Posts by Goiterboy
Old Apr 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
Born again sloper
Australia, NSW, Central Coast
Joined Aug 2011
205 Posts
I'm really glad this info is available for people to read, I was off to my local hobby shop to buy one of these suckers tomorrow morning but have changed my mind after reading about all the problems... it's what you would expect from HK not E-Flite... I was looking forward to it
ShaneH is offline Find More Posts by ShaneH