HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:28 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
OH !

I think I will buy the Parkzone Habu instead. Seems to be trouble free.
Don't be turned off from the EF Yak, you are now aware of all the issues though the guys who unfortunately suffered losses from them.

I still went ahead and bought the YAK, if you have seen how it flies and the purpose is worth it, then go for it.
turboready is offline Find More Posts by turboready
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog7 View Post

Don't think for 1 minute that it does not happen. (Philips Sonicare toothbrushes with Nicads in em for goodness sake)
D
Off topic, but we have three Sonicare toothbrushes for 4 to 6 years now and only one has died. That happened to be the one that was charged weekly, which is not good for NiCd batteries. The ones that still work well to this day are the ones that are charged only after being fully discharged.

Like Sonicare, HH planes need care and feeding. Of course there are manufacturing defects in a number of HH products that I have purchased. It's more an indication of the age in which we live in: very low cost products made in a very low labor cost country (China).

....but I would rank HH as probably the last company that would, for raw profit motives, intentionally design something to fail
NJNJperson is offline Find More Posts by NJNJperson
Old Jun 14, 2011, 07:50 PM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNJperson View Post
Off topic, but we have three Sonicare toothbrushes for 4 to 6 years now and only one has died. That happened to be the one that was charged weekly, which is not good for NiCd batteries. The ones that still work well to this day are the ones that are charged only after being fully discharged.

Like Sonicare, HH planes need care and feeding. Of course there are manufacturing defects in a number of HH products that I have purchased. It's more an indication of the age in which we live in: very low cost products made in a very low labor cost country (China).

....but I would rank HH as probably the last company that would, for raw profit motives, intentionally design something to fail
Now.............that's REALLY off topic

A design is only as good as the product that follows. Regardless of well something is designed, if its built like crap..............it remains crap.

No I dont think HH would knowingly release and sell a bad product to make money but they should know when to pull the plug on sales for a product which has known problems or issue service bulletins.

But then that will hurt sales, so they wait until there are complaints and then deal with it, makes more business sense but at customers expense.

I wonder if Qui Qui buys his servos and other stuff from these manufacturers for his airplanes..........
Old Jun 14, 2011, 09:24 PM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog7 View Post

Could the situation with the CZ be a little more sinister than we all give credit for. Eflite are a big company and they are not necessarily concerned with the end user. Profit is their main concern (which I understand) HH's good rep for customer service is all part of this. What I'm wondering is, "Is this a case of designed obsolescence which has backfired?"

Don't think for 1 minute that it does not happen. (Philips Sonicare toothbrushes with Nicads in em for goodness sake)
Quality model avionics have been available for years. Why would HH use something so cheap and nasty as to destroy their reputation?
I cant speak for HH, but I work for one of the top auto manufactures at a major US R&D center and even though we make millions of cars per year, the customer is always the focus of everything we do. Just because a company is big, doesn't mean they are out to screw the customer to make money. Without the customer, they don't make money, plain and simple. You cant sell crappy products and expect people will buy them. Wait a minute, GM somehow sells cars! Just kidding.

I think this plane just lost the battle of cost vs quality on the electronics. The servo suppler was probably chosen for the lowest cost vs. quality.
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:34 AM
Joined Jan 2004
111 Posts
Yaks 'n' toothbrushes!

Alrighty all,

Sorry for the bit off topic but my first Sonicare lasted 4 years, the next only 13 months, when I looked it up on tinterweb at the time I saw 2 things in close proximity in the results I found "Sonicare + Designed obsolescence" by this time the more environmentally friendly NiMh had been around for ages!

Anyways, I take all your points for this and just feel lucky I didn't get a CZ yet!

I just feel like HH could have built this thing from EPO with AXI motor/castle ESC/JR RX and servos and still made an absolute killing on it and everyone including the customer would be happy!
Cheers D
maddog7 is offline Find More Posts by maddog7
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:40 AM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
394 Posts
Since we are talking tooth brushes, my Sonicare has lasted over 6.5 years charging it almost everyday. Maybe mine was built on a Tuesday!
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:09 AM
Gravity always gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
I was trying to do some 3D brushing with my Oral-B and lost concentration and crashed it in the sink. Cracked the fuse, but glued it back and ready to fly again.....
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:12 AM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
Mustang347 - I lived in Delaware for a couple years - over by the fair grounds (Rutherford Ave). Small world.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Jan 2004
111 Posts
I'm partial to a little Brushfest!

"Extreme 3d Huckbrushin' "

A new (off topic thread I think, many bad images in my head!)

Crossed up 2 inches off the deck inverted brush in the ladies toilet, hardcore man!
maddog7 is offline Find More Posts by maddog7
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,345 Posts
that was good...
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:02 AM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Guys,

After making all the mods and upgrades to the Yak, I maiden her yesterday. It was a warm, bright and sunny day but very windy @ 12.5 MPH.

Waited for a while for the winds to die down but to no avail, I decided to fly.
I was amazed at how it took off, no bad tenancies and just one click of up elevator and one right click for aileron.

Though the wind was bumping it around I was able to fly hands off and she seems to track straight between no turbulence periods.

I did a few approaches and was happy with how it slows down with no sign of stalling, way slower than the PZ Extra. So all in all, I love the way it flies though I was not able to do too much except for a few loops, KE and rolls.

I did a touch and go and then came around back for a single bounce landing Wind was still blowing strong so could not grease her in as I would have liked to.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:09 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,260 Posts
Yes my new Yak too flys great

replaced the prop, locktited the motor screws and checked the others.

All good
rcpilot23 is offline Find More Posts by rcpilot23
Old Jun 20, 2011, 09:17 AM
ON, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcpilot23 View Post
Yes my new Yak too flys great

replaced the prop, locktited the motor screws and checked the others.

All good
Thats great, happy we are not many seeing more crash stories

Check everything before every flight, a must on every airplane regardless of manufacturer or size.

I flew mine in this.

Old Jun 21, 2011, 05:46 PM
USA, CA, Livermore
Joined May 2010
439 Posts
For everyone that has had problems with the elevator servo:
I outsmarted the stupid servos.
I didnt change them, I just programmed my radio (Dx7) for flaperons!
So, when (and it did) My elevaor servo failed, i just put flaps for the ailerons on a switch, and controlled it in!~ It wasnt a bad landing even!
I should of caught it on video.,..
RCSwitz18 is offline Find More Posts by RCSwitz18
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:42 AM
Brisbane
Joined Sep 2010
6 Posts
Another elevator servo failure here... can anyone recommend a better replacement?
demonjay is offline Find More Posts by demonjay