HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:47 AM
Deal Honestly or Don't Deal
United States, SC, Taylors
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Discussion
Times are changing

Folks, times are changing, you can tell how long a person has been in the hobby by what he calls our fuel. For years we had glow engines that had a
glow plug we fueled them with glow fuel, now seems that most new folks are calling the same engines and fuel NITRO planes and fuel. But don't forget there is plenty of glow fuel that doesn't have a drop of nitromethane in it.

No complaint or dissatisfaction, just calling attention to the changing times.

sarg96
sarg96 is offline Find More Posts by sarg96
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:30 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,037 Posts
A lot of the electric only guys call glow fuel gas... it's all about your level of knowledge. I like the term alcohol, but people seem to get their panties in a bunch over that too, saying that could include ethanol so I normally stick to the terms glow and gas, and use fuel to describe anything not electric powered.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:48 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,348 Posts
Actually many years ago the glow engine manufacturers used to advertise the glow engines as "GAS" engines. so many people just refer to anything that burns fuel internally as being a gas engine, irrespective of the fact that it uses glow fuel, gasoline or model diesel fuel.
So I feel it doesn't really matter if the understanding is there.
I saw some old Gilbert glow engine placards that called them "gas" engines and that was way back in the 1960's.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Many of us were in the hobby way before gas engines were common place. Some of us would call are glow engines "gas". Yes, we knew it wasn't really gas. (In fact gas isn't really gas either but that's another story). I still have to correct myself at times. "I fly gas... I mean glow."
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Old Jan 31, 2011, 01:45 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher View Post
Many of us were in the hobby way before gas engines were common place. Some of us would call are glow engines "gas". Yes, we knew it wasn't really gas. (In fact gas isn't really gas either but that's another story). I still have to correct myself at times. "I fly gas... I mean glow."
True... when I started flying, my club was 99% glow powered with maybe the rich guy owning a large scale gas plane and a couple of the crazies with their light little 2 ch electrics.

And thinking a little more about it... even now I often call glow, gas if I'm talking to someone that isn't in the hobby just so I don't have to explain that IC engines can run on a whole bunch of different types of fuel.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:32 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
2,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher View Post
In the very beginnings of our hobby , before the invention of the Glow Plug , ALL of our engines ran on gasoline/oil mix . One such engine is the Ohlsson and Rice .60 thats shown in my Blog .

So our Hobby has had Gas , then glow , and now gas is making a comeback .

Gotta love progress !
init4fun is offline Find More Posts by init4fun
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:33 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,531 Posts
I dare not step out on this plank. Last comments in an "opinion" type post resulted in nothing but anti-social behaviour and nasty gram PM's by people with sticks up thier.....well, you get it. Have fun!!!
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Eagle has landed
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:43 PM
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
In the very beginnings of our hobby , before the invention of the Glow Plug , ALL of our engines ran on gasoline/oil mix . One such engine is the Ohlsson and Rice .60 thats shown in my Blog .

So our Hobby has had Gas , then glow , and now gas is making a comeback .

Gotta love progress !
Ran my O&R 60, 23 and 19 on Testors fuel which was mostly alchol/oil mixture if my memory hasn't failed me. But I am sure they would have run on gasoline. Then the glow plug came along and most folks pulled the points and coil/condensor off and used the glow plug.

Wish I still had an O&R 60 in good shape.

sarg96
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Jun 2004
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
I dare not step out on this plank. Last comments in an "opinion" type post resulted in nothing but anti-social behaviour and nasty gram PM's by people with sticks up thier.....well, you get it. Have fun!!!
No opinion poll here, just mentioning the changes in our hobby. Don't really care what people fly, I just hope everyone is enjoying the hobby as much as I have. I've been here for 63 yrs and still enjoy it to the fullest.

sarg96
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:24 PM
Meridian, Idaho USA
Joined Feb 2004
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
A lot of the electric only guys call glow fuel gas... it's all about your level of knowledge. I like the term alcohol, but people seem to get their panties in a bunch over that too, saying that could include ethanol so I normally stick to the terms glow and gas, and use fuel to describe anything not electric powered.
I'm an electric only guy, sold all my slimmer stuff about 5 years ago. I monitor this topic because I am in the middle of building a Lazy Bee, electric of course. Other than the young folks most of us above 40 started flying wet fuel before going electric. Now the young crop out there wonít understand having to carry a roll of paper towels and a bottle of cleaner with them to fly. Iíve always referred to the fuel as Nitro, but I think that has a lot to do with the folks who trained you to fly! Thatís what my instructor called it.
mikeflys is offline Find More Posts by mikeflys
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:33 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I flew glow for many years off and on.

Got back in the hobby with the ease of electric. Planes and helis.

But now am back to flying more glow than electric.

And one gasser, heli.

I never called glow, gas. But I am not old enough to have flown gas before there was glow.

I think the term gas for early glow was Gas versus Rubber or other power sources. Earlier rules did not differentiate between gasoline and glow, they were all Gas in the rules and record books.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 31, 2011, 06:43 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
Joined Oct 2008
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeflys View Post
I'm an electric only guy, sold all my slimmer stuff about 5 years ago. I monitor this topic because I am in the middle of building a Lazy Bee, electric of course. Other than the young folks most of us above 40 started flying wet fuel before going electric. Now the young crop out there won’t understand having to carry a roll of paper towels and a bottle of cleaner with them to fly. I’ve always referred to the fuel as Nitro, but I think that has a lot to do with the folks who trained you to fly! That’s what my instructor called it.
Every pilot should have to pick up and clean off a slimy plane at least once in their lifetime.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:19 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Before wet fuel there was rubber bands :-)

-Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:49 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,032 Posts
I've never really understood why knickers get twisted about what powers the airplane. I've flown glow since '61, all control line until my first R/C single channel rudder only Lil Roughneck with a Cox .020 in '65. Somewhere in those times I flew freeflight with rubber, glow and CO2. Since I started flying electric around '80 or so, I didn't really care how the airplane was powered, as long as it flew F'rinstance, nowadays most of my small stuff is electric, larger stuff is glow and recently I built a Minnie Mambo off kit plans as I had a DC Dart diesel sitting around looking bored. About a year ago I bought a Hobby People .06 glow just because it was cute. Is that a dumb reason? Well, it was on sale, too. I just match the power system to the airplane depending on what it is supposed to do. I'd try turbines if I had the money but that won't happen I simply want to fly something I like.

About those older sparkers--they were designed to run on a gasoline-oil mix using spark plugs powered by onboard batteries with a set of points, condenser and so on. Many of these engines, such as the Super Cyclone and O&R can also be run on glow fuel with either a spark or glow plug if you choose the fuel correctly. Just don't run the glow fuel in the plastic tank the engine orginally came with--it'l melt--and you'll be fine. I have an OS .60 open rocker four stroke modified for spark and it too can be run on either type of fuel, or I can install a glow plug and return it to a simpler running configuration. Dylan was right--"times are a-changin".

Really, it's whatever turns you on as far as I'm concerned, and if it does what you want, what more is there? Besides listening to Dylan. Hmmmm, maybe another project...
Balsabird is offline Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:52 PM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,888 Posts
Sarg has a point and you can also tell where someone came from in the hobby. The "nitro" nomenclature is pretty much the rule in the car hobby, where it's used by the manufacturers as a hook to evoke the performance aspect of their glow powered wares. Traxxas, HPI and Ofna all refer to their glow fuel powered cars as "Nitro" powered. Traxxas even branded their house fuel as "Top Fuel", evoking the 300mph tire smoking, eardrum shattering dragsters and rails of NHRA/IHRA fame.

Personally, I don't care what powers your plane/heli/boat/car. I have glow, gas and electric and like them equally as well for their application.

I prefer to call it what it is though ... glow powered, gas powered, etc. I feel it leads to less confusion, especially when dealing with a newb. Telling a newb his Avistar 40 is "gas powered" might just lead him to try some 87 octane from the local filling station to save a few bucks...
Hemikiller is online now Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member