Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cleansurf2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:48 PM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
589 Posts
Discussion
Windrider Bat, fast EPP plank slope wing, review, info, mods, links

I bought this a couple of years ago pre-built. The build was OK but not to the standards I usually build to. This was my fastest sloper by a good margin, now matched by the Starfire (48" PW51 version). The Bat has good performance in 10-27 knots on a light build.
It is a 54" molded 2 piece EPP foam wing kit (at a bargain US$80 delivered) from Windrider. Suitable for experienced pilots only, it's fast and needs to be flown smooth, handling is more difficult than a swept combat wing, mine tip stalls easily. Modified builds can greatly improve handling and a Tx'r with exponential will greatly assist handling at speed.

First mods: I put a layer of laminate over the top, took out a little bit of the reflex in the airfoil and changed to a single fin.

Second Mods (Dec2011): The Bat is fast, but handling was not the best so I wasn't getting much use out of it, using the Starfire instead. So I did a more radical mod as the spars where weakening on the tips anyway, I clipped the wings, also replaced those horrid EPP elevons and re-balanced CG with more lead in the nose. Increasing wing loading pushing the new wind envelop to the right (14-30 knots) and roll rate is super fast and axial.
Note: This mod pushes the Bat into a more Advanced pilot range. Although handling is better (in stronger winds and DS), the role rate and wing loading is increased, so it can easily stall in lighter conditions and can struggle to pull up if the air speed drops. As well as loosing wing, more lead needed to be added to the nose, so it's heavy for a 41" wing.
The "Superfreak" build may be a better alround option, as the center has a wedge cut out to increase wing sweep giving a strit triling edge and moving the CG back so less lead is required to balance. A friend has this mod done and it flys as wel as my "PW51 Starfire 41" Mod". The video "Starfire insane slope speed frontside, 25 knotsstarfire" in this thread, shows both planes in 25 knots side by side.

Other review, build and mod links

Speadfreaks review
***** RCgroups links (Mods/info)
General reviews and info from experienced owners
Basic Superfreak mods
Mini build thread - DS Bat
More general info
Reflex removal, before/after shots
superfreak mods
3 Control Surface Wing
Predator Bat Build Help
Clipped wing - change of CoG
My RCgroups Blog

This is the Clipped Bat (2nd mods) definate improved high end performance.

Clipped EPP Windrider Bat flying wing. Big air high performance fast slope glider demo review (3 min 19 sec)

.I have some more excellent new footage I have yet to edit and upload, you can check my youtube page "cleansurf2"
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Last edited by cleansurf2; Jan 11, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
Someone is going to get wet...
The Mitt
Joined Oct 2007
989 Posts
Nice Wing... Looks like it flies Great! Mudman1959
mudman1959 is offline Find More Posts by mudman1959
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The "Bloody Wonder"
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
589 Posts
A really heavy 32 knots session on the cut down Bat.
Shows how hard this wing can be pushed.

However my new cut down Starfire performance is even better, with a wider wind envelope.

Cut down Bat glider in a blasting 32 Knots.

Windrider Bat 32Knts heavy slope session (3 min 43 sec)

Last edited by cleansurf2; Apr 20, 2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:40 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
589 Posts
Heavy wind session "Cut down Starfire wing" comparison: (Ballast added for this flight).
The second half of the video shows my Starfire flying with a friends cut down Bat. The bat did not have ballast loaded so was not quite as fast in the heavy conditions. They are both great wings. Personally I prefer the starfire, as it already has an excellent airfoil and the blank cores give you more build options, the Bat may be a slightly easier build, but still needs modification to fly like this.

My Youtube channel

My RCgroups Blog - Starfire info etc...

Starfire insane slope speed frontside, 25 knots, Modified MWcores EPP flying wing (9 min 49 sec)

Last edited by cleansurf2; May 19, 2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Alstonville
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Hi Cleansurf2 I notice that you are flying at Lennox Head do you live locally or were you visiting? I live in Alstonville and have just started to get the all the old gliders out and I'm dusting off the cobwebs...have had them in mothballs for more than 30 years...flying skills limited but love building them...really impressed with your models and would like to catch up if you live locally.
Ian Alstonville
iannybeany is offline Find More Posts by iannybeany
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:09 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
589 Posts
Hi Ian,

I was just visiting, I currently live in Newcastle.
I often go to Ballina for a little while at Xmas and slip up to Lennox when the opportunity arises.

I will try and remember to let you know next time I'm heading up, might get a session in together at some stage.

In the meantime, enjoy getting back into it.
I'm guessing there old school planes easily damaged. You might want to consider a lightweight foamy wing to get back into it. Something like an Alura from windrider.com.hk are a great start. Or if you like building, a mwcores 36" wing might be nice.
Worth considering going a 2.4Ghz radio also. About $70 delivered for a 9X will give awesome functionality over an old radio system.

Fly safe and watch out for those hang gliders.

cheers
Rick
Old Jun 07, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
I will try and remember to let you know next time I'm heading up, might get a session in together at some stage.
Sounds Good.
In the meantime, enjoy getting back into it.
Yes enjoying it.
I'm guessing there old school planes easily damaged.
You're right on the money there
You might want to consider a lightweight foamy wing to get back into it. Something like an Alura from windrider.com.hk are a great start. Or if you like building, a mwcores 36" wing might be nice.
I have a hot wire cutter and have been looking at the gravity feed idea to improve my cutting. I have a flying foam wing that will operational in a few days. Going to put a small electric motor in it...is there a formula to find the C/G for these wings?
Worth considering going a 2.4Ghz radio also. About $70 delivered for a 9X will give awesome functionality over an old radio system.
Just Purchased this radio so have programmed in the "V" tail for flying wing.

Fly safe and watch out for those hang gliders.
Yes it is a great spot for them. I'm normally on the water flying my Kite. Have been doing that for over ten years. Might be something you could take up.

thanks for reply and encouragement.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:08 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
589 Posts
CG calc
this ones the best. also does multi panel wings
http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_US/

You may need some washout if it's a swept wing to avoid poor tip stall performance.

Dial in some expo on the 9x makes flying smooth.

I'm at the software stage of a CNC hotwire cutter build. Few other projects pushing ahead of finishing it though. Hope to eventually be able to cut well. Manual cuts over templates I found frustrating to get right. Your gravity feed may give you decent cuts.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
I'm at the software stage of a CNC hotwire cutter build. Few other projects pushing ahead of finishing it though. Hope to eventually be able to cut well. Manual cuts over templates I found frustrating to get right. Your gravity feed may give you decent cuts.[/QUOTE]
Rick had a chap living next door to me who was a Poker Machine Tech and what he didn't know about electronics, mig welders and anything electrical wasn't worth knowing...he would rabbit on about how he was setting up things using CNC and I thought he was speaking another language until I started investigating hot wire cutting...there was a link on youtube where a young lad had made a CNC cutter using draw runners towers and CNC motors then it all clicked...this is what Ted was talking about...only wished I'd investigated the hot wire cutter before he moved out and i would have been set up by now...I think he was using the pokey motors...what did you use...I did a quick search and they wanted $149 for the motors so I looked elsewhere...hence the gravity feed.
Off to Brisbane today to watch the Wallabies...you could have given them better weather on Tuesday night they might have been able to scrape home. Thanks for the info on CG. have that filed.
Ian
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:25 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
589 Posts
I got a TB6560 board off ebay and ended up getting stepper motors off the same seller. I sourced the best value rods, threaded rod, timber etc.. for the build, which was an adaption of various builds on the net. Still all up it's cost me probably $500+. I would have to build a lot of wings to realistically make it viable. I probably would have been better off outsourcing custom cuts and core sets from the likes of mwcores.com
Old Jun 10, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Jan 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleansurf2 View Post
I would have to build a lot of wings to realistically make it viable. I probably would have been better off outsourcing custom cuts and core sets from the likes of mwcores.com
I agree with you on that I did the figures and I chose the cheap method for now...but I'm sure you are wiser and satisfied with what you have achieved. I'll go down that way when I have time and I'm again looking for a challenge. Called into HobbyOne in Brisbane today and gleaned some information on a in-runner motor for a friends glider and was able to to order an equivalent motor and a 40A ESC for half the price of the motor. Purchased it off HK.
Ian