HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:57 AM
Joined Jan 2003
263 Posts
Discussion
ar6200 rudder moves when plug in

I've just got a new ar6200 receiver.When I plug the battery into the ESC. The rudder always moves to the left before comes back to neutral. I tried rebind many times but it does the same.
I never have this problem with the AR6000 receivers?
curtqn is offline Find More Posts by curtqn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 08:33 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtqn View Post
I've just got a new ar6200 receiver.When I plug the battery into the ESC. The rudder always moves to the left before comes back to neutral. I tried rebind many times but it does the same.
I've experienced this, and there have been other reports.

The theory is that when you bind, the receiver memorizes the positions of all the controls. When you plug in, the controls go to the memorized positions for a brief time until the link is established and the transmitter takes over.

But it doesn't always work. With some receivers the servo goes consistently to a position other than the bind position. I've never seen an explanation. I've come to ignore it, but would like to get to the bottom of the matter. I'll do a bit of checking.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:59 AM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
i have had several FM futaba recievers do the same thing, and my AR6000 rx gives me full bow thruster until the link between it and the transmitter is established, so i suspect that it is a visual indicator to tell the operator that the RX is getting power, signal and functioning normally, and so therefore i would say it is nothing to worry about
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:11 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost 2501 View Post
i have had several FM futaba recievers do the same thing, and my AR6000 rx gives me full bow thruster until the link between it and the transmitter is established, so i suspect that it is a visual indicator to tell the operator that the RX is getting power, signal and functioning normally, and so therefore i would say it is nothing to worry about
Spektrum is quite different from Futaba. It's supposed to work as I described (and it normally does). In most cases, having the controls in appropriate positions when binding will ensure that they stay there at switch-on. But in some cases it doesn't work -- when and why it doesn't is what this thread is about.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:36 PM
scratch-built
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Spektrum is quite different from Futaba. It's supposed to work as I described (and it normally does). In most cases, having the controls in appropriate positions when binding will ensure that they stay there at switch-on. But in some cases it doesn't work -- when and why it doesn't is what this thread is about.
Like Daedalus66 says, sometimes a Spektrum Rx has a "nervous twitch" when you first connect power to the Rx. I have a number of planes with Spektrum Rx's and some of them connect without a twitch and some of them do exactly as yours does.

I've tried rebinding just like you and had he same results. I just quit worrying about it as I've never had a problem in the air over four yrs time and thousands of flights.

I also have Airtronics Radios and most of the Rx's are rock solid when connected to power, but I also have a Airtronics Rx that has the "nervous twitch" on connection to power.

I also would like to know why and what can be done about the problem, but until it's mystery is solved I just ignore it.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Old Jan 30, 2011, 12:18 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Goodlettsville, TN
Joined Sep 2006
3,058 Posts
The most likely cause is the servos themselves. When the Rx is trying to connect and booting there is no signal being sent to the servo. Some servos when powered with no position signal will drive to their endpoint and then snap to position as soon as they see a signal. I have seen it happen mostly with analog servos. What kind of servos are you using?
chrisf testpilot is offline Find More Posts by chrisf testpilot
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:55 AM
Joined Jan 2003
263 Posts
I'm using 4 HS-225mg. They are analog servos. But the question is why this never happened with all my AR6000 in the same plane?
curtqn is offline Find More Posts by curtqn
Old Jan 30, 2011, 10:58 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Actually Spektrum Rxes DO send a signal to the servos once booted, but while waiting to link to the Tx. They send the position set at binding, except for the throttle, which gets NO signal.

And boot takes very little time.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Jan 30, 2011, 05:24 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Nothing is ever as simple as it seems!

I suspect there is something odd going on in these sneaky little Rxs.
My Electric Shock (Rx always bound with throttle closed and all other channels neutral) used to go briefly to full down flaperon when the battery was connected, then back to correct neutral when it initialised. Rx was AR6100. I recently swapped this Rx for a HK clone 6110 and it now goes briefly to full aileron deflection on connection - then OK. Both work perfectly in normal use.
Not sure if Tx type is relevant, as presumably the Rx is not getting information from there until initialised, but for completeness my Tx is DX7.
This is only a puzzlement and minor annoyance to me, but I understand folks with more demanding setups can have real problems if surfaces with limited mechanical throw are driven by powerful servos beyond their limits, or the brief excursion causes your expensive jet to drop on its belly on the tarmac.
Problem remains - explanation and solution unknown.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is online now Find More Posts by Petem
Last edited by Petem; Jan 30, 2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Add Tx type, correct grammar
Old Jan 30, 2011, 08:15 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Actually Spektrum Rxes DO send a signal to the servos once booted, but while waiting to link to the Tx. They send the position set at binding, except for the throttle, which gets NO signal.
That's how it's supposed to work. But it doesn't always do so (as Petem says). In some cases, one or more servos gives a major kick, no matter how carefully the binding has been done with the controls in the appropriate positions. I've seen this with both DX7 and JR X9303.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,270 Posts
You can do the same thing with NO rx attached. Just power up a servo and watch. I used to see the same thing 30 years ago.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:13 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You can do the same thing with NO rx attached. Just power up a servo and watch. I used to see the same thing 30 years ago.

Andy
So you're saying the Spektrum receiver is doing the right thing and sending an appropriate signal but the servo kicks before it responds to the receiver? Sounds plausible.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:55 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Another data point

Was setting up a V-tailed electric soarer tonight with brand new AR600 Rx.
Only two servos for the ruddervators, and when power is applied (after normal bind successful) both servos go to full (looks like servo limits) left until connection, then smartly back to neutral. Movement both ways is very positive, same on both servos, and appears signal driven.
Not keen on the volts-driven theory (ie no signal from Rx) as you would expect all servos to be affected and on my other aircraft they are not.
Could this be an intended or unintended feature of the Rx firmware - symptoms seem to vary with Rx type?
PeteM
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:16 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,270 Posts
What servos are you using, Pete. Where are the tail servos?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2011, 01:58 AM
Joined Jul 2008
1,080 Posts
Andy,
Servos are cheap HK VS3 - about HS81 size - mounted in the fuselage side by side at about the CG point.
Previously mentioned ones are wing mounted in the Electric Shock and are Waypoint 6.6 gm. Just did a check and all four servos on this one drive to full deflection on connection first time, but do not do so with a reconnect if Tx is left on.
Just tried to put batt power direct to an old servo to observe, but temporarily stymied by challenge of male-to-male plugs. Will try this and report.
Cheers,
Pete