HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RobDog1983, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:15 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
Discussion
Mini Aeromaster

This is a mini Aeromaster that I finally finished after 2 years of building off and on. I fell in love with Aeromasters from watching my father fly his Aeromaster 22 years ago when I was 6 years old. He still has his Aeromaster today. My dad has many planes from scale to pattern but out of them all I like his baby blue original Lou Andrews Aeromaster the most.My dad runs a OS 91 4-stoke that just sounds sweet. His Aeromaster is hypnotizing.

My dad is the one responsible for getting me into this great hobby. I started flying about 5 years ago and that is when the problem started. The problem is my dad wont let me fly his Aeromaster. After years of begging, the only response I've got is that he'll leave it to me in his will when he dies. So I decided to scratch build my own Aeromaster, but one that fits my flying preferences.

I fly mostly electric airplanes and I like the 400 size airplanes the most. So I built my Aeromaster to be electric and 400 size. I wanted to build the top wing swept and the bottom wing straight. A family friend (R6stead), who is an expert builder and flyer, drew out the plans just by eyeballing my Dad's Aeromaster after I told him the size I wanted. R6stead also built the top wing, cabane , and cool landing gear. This is what we came up with:

Wing span: 30 inches
Weight: 24 oz
Wing loading:
Motor: Rimfire 28-30-950kv pulling about 170 watts
ECU: silver series 25 amp
Battery: hyperion g3 3cell 1100mah 25c
Prop: apc 10x7sf or 10x4.7sf
Servos: 2 futaba s3109 on Ailerons and 2 futaba S3114 on elevator & rudder
pull-pull control system on elevator and rudder.
Receiver: Futaba r146 pcm 1024 6 channel
Radio: Futaba 8uaps

I tried to build this one as close to the original one as possible except for a few things.The only mods I made were; adding a flying stab, shock resistant landing gear(home made), electric powered, pull-pull control systems, dual aileron servos, and of course the small size. I have not flown the mini Aeromater yet due to the fact that we have been having blizzard conditions here in New Mexico (can you believe it!). It looks funny to see cactus sticking out of a few feet of snow here in the desert with a high of 8 degrees .We had a low last night of -19

I will report later on how the maiden flight goes.
Thanks for spending the time to look. Questions and comments are welcome.

Thanks, Robert
RobDog1983 is offline Find More Posts by RobDog1983
Last edited by RobDog1983; Oct 26, 2012 at 07:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2011, 03:13 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,629 Posts
So.....
Where'd you get this?
Looks good BTW.
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
Old Feb 04, 2011, 12:17 AM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
I scatch built this Aeromaster from plans a friend drew out for me. He drew the plans out to be 400 size. Sorry it took so long to finish this blog. Thank you

Robert
Last edited by RobDog1983; Feb 12, 2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2011
14 Posts
super cool! nice striping. will you call it the Aeroapprentice? lol. to bad about the snow im up in NY state so i definitely feel your pain. Maiden flights are nerve wracking without having to worry about shorting your brushless. i got the electrifly nieuport 11 for christmas and only got two flights in before the snow and wind took over. spring is coming!
CWDoherty is offline Find More Posts by CWDoherty
Old Mar 13, 2011, 05:29 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
Thank you CW. It does look like the covering job of an Apprentice, but I was going for the look of the classic Giant Aeromaster bipe. I was going to cover the my Mini Aeromaster to look like my dad's Aeromaster, but his is baby blue and I thought it would be hard to see because of the mini size.

The snow is gone. The snow left as fast as it came witch sucks because I had just finished some snow skies that I had built. I put them on my Mini Telemaster and was ready to go flying the next day.When I stepped outside the next day the snow was gone, but Im not complaining because it was cold.Spring is here and I'm ready to get some flying in. Now Im just waiting on the wind to die down.I will report more later.

Robert
Last edited by RobDog1983; Apr 19, 2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 10:09 PM
United States, MI, Sterling
Joined Mar 2011
1 Posts
I thought you'd never finish building it. It looks pretty good. Perhaps the next time I come down there I'll see it fly. I might even design you another bird, just don't take 2 years to finish it! lol. You should ink the plans and have a copy made, since I only drew it in pencil.

I'm getting ready to glass my giant scale P 51 tomorrow. I haven't picked a color scheme as of yet. If it makes through this season I plan on entering it in scale competition at the Toledo Show 2012. Wishful thinking at best.

"Army"
r6stead is offline Find More Posts by r6stead
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:23 PM
Bosque Farms, New Mexico
Joined Mar 2010
72 Posts
Ya it did take a long time to build. It would have been faster if I did not have million a other projects . I'm hoping to get a maiden flight in soon but the wind has been blowing pretty hard. The weather has been crazy lately. I have been doing alot of flying in the wind

I had one chance to maiden. I had finally cleared my mind and was putting on the top wing when George crashed his plane a few feet from where I was sitting. After I cleared my eyes of dirt from the mushroom cloud George made all the thoughts I had cleared from my mind earlier were driven right back into my mind x10 and I chickened out . There has not been a calm day since and I'm mad I did not maiden that day .

It has been a long time since you have came down to N.M.. You missed out on a few good swap meets and a bunch of flying. The last swap meet I cleaned up at. I got an Align Trex 450 and an EvoFlight Shogun 400 both with servos, one gyro, and brushless motors all for 30 bucks. The gentleman even included a second Trex kit minus the tail boom.

You should email me or post some pics of the Mustang you're working on.It sounds pretty big if you say it's bigger than your Hawker Hurricane. I'm finally done with my Lotsa Watts that little twin I was scratch building. So I have another plane to maiden.Thank you for helping me with my Aeromaster.I will ink my plans, they're already starting to fade a little.

Thank you, Robbie
P.S. when are you going to visit?
Soon you said, ok
Last edited by RobDog1983; Apr 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM.