HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Eastcoast78, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:21 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,321 Posts
Discussion
New TX case (Home Made)

I was in the market too get a decent TX case too store my Radio. After looking around i seen a few different(Brand Name) styles at around $60-$80. Plus either ordering one online or getting my LHS to get one in for me.
Then i got thinking about "Do i want too Spend that on a TX Case"?

I was at Wal Mart before Xmas seeing what kind of Gifts i could get for my Siblings lol. While walking through the hardware dept ,i seen a nice aluminum style tool box.Hmmmm and it was only $19.99
Then i got the idea ..Hey i can make one myself!! Now lets get some foam! i thought. Headed too the bedding dept..Nice they have foam. I bought a block that was 16''L x 16'W x 5H''ish if i am correct.(Price $11.98) and i also got a piece of around the same dimensions,but the type that has the Bumpy top.(Price $9.99).Thought this tpye would be Prefect for the top of the TX case. These foams are a yellowish/white color, most of the TX cases I've seen have a nice sharp black/Grey foam. Ok so i need Dye, picked up some powered dye and i was set!!!(Price $4.99).

First step was too cut the foam the touch bigger then the dimensions of the Case for a snug fit. Then i got my 2 pales i use for cleaning the Fish tank. One for the water/dye and one for just cold clean water.(Yes i put the Dye in the pale i always Siphon the dirty fish tank water in)
I Cut and Spread out a trash bag.(Im doing this on Lamented flooring in the kitchen while the better half is at work. So better not get Dye all over the place.

Got the cut pieces of foam dyed,turned out great. The longest part was waiting for the thick foam too dry. I Squeezed what i could out and it still took 2-3 days.
So after it was all dried up,i traced the outline of my radio and got a new Sharp Blade and cut it out. I cut on the inside of the line of about a 1/4 '' too make a snug fit.
I was thinking if i should glue the foam into the Aluminum case or not. After cutting the foam the size of the outside of the Case.Once in the case it fit very nice and well not move.

I have a few radios, But my DX6i is my main TX. I was thinking of cutting out 2 spaces for another radio.One of my Old 72's. I only use that radio for my OSG glider.
So i figured i would cut some slices in the foam and now i have a great space too store my battery's.

All in all i spent about $50 for materials. So i saved $30-$40. But even if i only saved 5 Bucks ,i still enjoy the Process of making/building something for myself.

So here's the finished Product.
I very pleased with it.

Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2011, 03:51 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,548 Posts
Nice work and you have a nice case. On the down side of things, Harbor Freight sells such a case for $29. Pre cut foam and you just install everything. Our club members have about 30 or so of the HF cases. It's actually a tool case with a hidden panel behind the foam on the top panel that designed to hold tools. I have two, one for my Tx and the other to pack my two field chargers (with charge leads/adapters) and Lipos in.

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Transmissions for planes
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:45 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,321 Posts
Ahh nice!! Thats a pretty good price,Wish i had a HF here in Canada
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:25 AM
I didn't break it....
United States, OR, Clatskanie
Joined May 2010
148 Posts
Not aluminum, but only 10.00 at Walmart with foam. Since pics I added spots for charger, neck strap and even blade balancer. Bought a second one that I use for my MSR. Holds heli, batts charger and power cord (no pics yet)......
udidit is offline Find More Posts by udidit
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:35 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,321 Posts
Nice!! never seen any like that in my travels...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:38 AM
I didn't break it....
Joined May 2010
148 Posts
Thanks. Found it in the sporting goods dept. It's actually a 4 pistol carry case. It has 3 pieces of foam, 1 flat smooth and 2 bumped. The 2 bumpy pieces go in top and bottom and the smooth ,except for the edges, is almost completely little precut squares. All you have to do is finish cutting the squares out to fit your whatever.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
I didn't break it....
Joined May 2010
148 Posts
Some new pics, last one you can see what I mean by precut squares (sry for lousy pics, cheap camera).....
Old Jan 31, 2011, 05:52 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
great stuff..
I have to make one when i'm done moving .. LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Feb 01, 2011, 11:24 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,321 Posts
So hows that going anyways?..I guess you got the House?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:15 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
yeah , just have to wait for Mrs to get back form trip to sign lease .
figur ewhat day we can move our junk over .. as long a sitis well before end of month for some stuff.
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8