HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:01 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Fully loaded she's 22.2 lbs...............
Holy Crap. That's approaching "oil tanker" weight isn't it?
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
Holy Crap. That's approaching "oil tanker" weight isn't it?
According to wikipedia, the official minimum weight to qualify as a "tanker" is 22.5.............Whats "Goldie" weigh..............????

Vid is cooking for Big Red...........................
scorpion1 is offline Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old Feb 23, 2011, 06:41 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Here it is

Disclaimer: Read the post first!

OK..........

1. Went to the neighborhood lake cuz there is a resue boat there..........full size boat..........needed that "comfort" for the first time

2. The lake is a bit small for the big ones.....had to make some slow turns.

3. I am an idiot

4. Never brought it in for a temp check........or any check for that matter after 1 minute and I know better........got all excited and caught up in it..........we've all pretty much been there

5. Never got it past about 2/3-3/4 throttle cuz of the lifting........

6. ESC thermaled due to not much water flow for some reason.........dont know if i picked something up running so close to the weeds......or if there is too much resistance in the long series of lines.............not sure, have to figure that one out........there wasnt much water in the tubes when it came in.

7. ESC is still working after cool down 30 minutes later........no burned smell, no popped caps.............melted the shrink right off of it though

8. Motor was 137* without much cooling i guess............

9. ESC caps were over 200*

10. Gonna have to lower the strut i imagine to get the rear up................this was all just done under "what i thought" would be good type of guidlines.

11. The 2028 is a HOG.

12. It should hit 50+ when i get it all sorted

13. I am an idiot

Help me figure out how to get the ride right.......gotta play with it.........Thanks

50" Brushless Hydro with Castle 2028 (3 min 22 sec)
Last edited by scorpion1; Feb 23, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:19 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,512 Posts
My thoughts... you're no more an idiot than I am scorp. (and that's really meant in a good way) You just got too wrapped up in the run and forgot to check the time. That was 3 plus minutes before it thermaled out.

If the back of the boat had been hopping instead of the sponsons I'd say yyou had too much negative in it. Since it was the other way around, you don't need to lower your strut. Raise it some more instead and give it a touch of negative to push the rear up and front down. Either that or you're worse tail heavy then the miller was in the early runs.

Might be a good idea to pull the Swordfish off auto timing and choose low (wild guess here since I don't have a clue of what the 2028 calls for).

Possibly a smaller prop than I originally thought too. What did you have on it for the run? I proved that a 460 could melt a Neu on 8s Sunday.(although my SF is fine I think since it wasn't really even hot)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
United States, CA, Apple Valley
Joined May 2002
2,881 Posts
Look good run pretty nice , I concur your not an idiot just what Billl said hopefully you will get the cooling sort it out
mavdriver is offline Find More Posts by mavdriver
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:21 PM
Arkansas USA
Joined Jan 2006
238 Posts
shes digging in the outside sponson pretty deep on turns. Should be able to lay the power to her when turning and keep it up on the ride pad.

Id lower the strut a couple mm's at a time.

Make sure your wing does have any up elevator as well.
JDCrow is offline Find More Posts by JDCrow
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:17 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Thanks guys..............

This boat has so much more speed left in it. The ESC handled the 2028 even without much cooling, if any at all, for 3 minutes. The amperage draw must be within parameters and thats with a 63mm prop! I was easing the throttle the whole time...........
Old Feb 23, 2011, 11:49 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
879 Posts
ITS ALIVE!!!!,....and it RUNS!!!!,....thats amazing considering the small amount of time it took you to get it to run.
1)First thing is to sort out the water cooling issue,no doubt about it.
2)keep the strut flat aligned with the hull for now and play with props.
3)Prop down i guess.Hydros need high lift props on them and dont know whats the lift on yours.On my 25" maus/bandit shovel hydro i went from a 38mm normal cheap OSE CF prop to a 1740/3 (3)blade high liftprop.The difference i found out is that this 1740/3 prop have so much lift that it was raising the back of my hydro big time,so i needed to move back my CoG a bit to compensate for that but still with flat strut.CoG on my bandit ir right behind the sponson if this is of any help.
But i definately consider this,your first run,a complete success.Only thing was you didn`t manage to check on temps earlier...i know,i know,...adrenaline is pumping high,boat looks good etc,etc.We all do the same thing almost all the time,specially with a new boat/setup..so dont feel lonely here.....lol
Please remember that Hydros are the worst boats to tune and to get them to handle alright.So take your time,its a big boat and most of us havent been there.........Albert
karfrik is offline Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Feb 24, 2011, 12:46 AM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Thanks Al..........here's a pic of the strut.............not very deep, and looks like a bit of positive.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:09 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2007
758 Posts
Hey Scorp, did you find out why there was no water going through, any ideas..you were lucky not to fry that ESC by the sound of it.

Barry
Flying Barry is offline Find More Posts by Flying Barry
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:05 AM
Zombie Apocalypse
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
1,973 Posts
hhhmmm very very nice scorp, a few minor teething issues I'm sure you will sort out quickly.

Quote:
dont know if i picked something up running so close to the weeds......or if there is too much resistance in the long series of lines..
Bingo your on the mark. Narrow ID tubing, short lengths only. try a larger ID or shorten the lengths. In my boats now I'm running 2 pickups 1 for the ESC and one for the motor. Less resistance and better cooling.

awesome boat like it a lot.
Rusty Old Fart is offline Find More Posts by Rusty Old Fart
Old Feb 24, 2011, 05:56 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,512 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
Thanks Al..........here's a pic of the strut.............not very deep, and looks like a bit of positive.
I'd try it at about the same height and change the angle to slightly negative.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 24, 2011, 10:16 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill34207 View Post
I'd try it at about the same height and change the angle to slightly negative.
Exactly,...you need to do little negative increments at a time and play with your packs position.But only do one change at a time,in order to find out if any difference.Some people will do 3-4 at the same time but they never find out what really made the difference.
And ill also do like Rusty say,double water pickups!!!,..enough is never enough.
And remember im going with what i have learned with my 25" shovel,supposely its all basic hydro stuff, don`t know if it applies to your big hydro but worth a try......good luck and get it back in the water....Al
karfrik is offline Find More Posts by karfrik
Old Feb 24, 2011, 02:37 PM
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,338 Posts
Ok I'll give the strut adjustment a shot first, we'll see what that does
Old Feb 24, 2011, 03:32 PM
Staffs UK
Joined Feb 2010
3,090 Posts
hey scorp nice vid.
I think that thing is gonna move some once you got it dialled.
I think you could go a little lower on the strut or try a higher lift prop to get the ass out of the water and abit of negative angle and see how that goes.
Good luck iv no doubt you'll get there
Nice job putting it together now the fettling begins
F1 madness is offline Find More Posts by F1 madness