HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,161 Posts
Loving my Byper. Some setting sun pictures from this evening.....
Quiet E. Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Quiet E. Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:36 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Steve, thanks for the photo and template but now I'm really confused. Based on the picture it looks like you have the long side of the fairing going along the landing gear and the short side next to the wing. In looking at the pics of the prototype planes and manual with the white fairings that looks like how they go. But the production black fairing is much longer on the long side compared to the landing gear and is tapered at the end. Based on that it would require trimming about 2" off the fairing to get the long side to fit the gear. Most of the build pictures of the production kit have the long side of the fairing along the wing, which is how I mounted mine, assuming it was a part that didn't need trimming. The short side doesn't reach the wheel pant but appears to extend below the top of the wheel pant when looking from the side. I contoured mine to the wing similar to you but did it along the long side. I suppose it will work either way but I am wondering what the "correct" way is to mount the black fairing so as not to confuse folks.

Rick
Well..... I guess I was confused too.....But I could have sworn a photo I looked at showed the fairing go all the way to the wheel pants....So....back to the drawing board, or just leave them the way I have them....Personally, I like them going all the way to the wheel pants, but if they are designed to work the other way.....ooooops!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:37 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post

2nd - anyone using Xoar Props 15x6 PJN electric prop on hacker A30-12XL? What are you using as far as bushing the ensure the prop is center since the standard hole is wider than the prop adapter?
Yep, lots of guys use the 15x6 on 51" Slicks with the a30-12xl.
Use this for a bushing:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1960
cut a few 1/2" sections of it and shove 'em in the prop.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:47 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Well..... I guess I was confused too.....But I could have sworn a photo I looked at showed the fairing go all the way to the wheel pants....So....back to the drawing board, or just leave them the way I have them....Personally, I like them going all the way to the wheel pants, but if they are designed to work the other way.....ooooops!!

SteveT
I think either way works and I like the idea of the fairing going all the way to the wheel pant. I think I'll make a new set over the winter that is a combination of both.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:48 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet E. Flyer View Post
Awesome!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:01 PM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Awesome!

Thank you.... your pictures were my inspiration for the sunset shots!!
Great time of the year to be in Arizona indeed!
Quiet E. Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Quiet E. Flyer
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:51 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,866 Posts
Well....now I am "bumfuzzled"... I took my fairings off, and checked how the fairings that came with the kit fit, and basically they don't...If you try to fasten them to the back edge of the landing gear, the don't even come close to fitting to the fuselage, as they angle away from it. If you fasten them onto the flat of the gear, then the curve at the fuselage gets in the way, and holds it away from the fuselage...(and of course this makes the gear very thick, and to me, very odd looking.)...And...the fairings shown in the manual are not like the ones supplied, but more like what I made....

Granted, none if this is insurmountable, but this is one time where I think a little clarification in the manual would be nice, rather that just saying...

"Using clear tape, CA glue, or Welder's Glue, install the balsa wood landing gear fairings to landing gear legs as shown. NOTE: the fairings do affect the flight characteristics and you should install them."

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:43 AM
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet E. Flyer View Post
Nice pict's

And you have your pants on.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:54 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
thx ryan. Will give that a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Yep, lots of guys use the 15x6 on 51" Slicks with the a30-12xl.
Use this for a bushing:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1960
cut a few 1/2" sections of it and shove 'em in the prop.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I may take you up on it if the other options doesn't work out. thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
As I have a lathe, I can make prop bushings for you for a nominal cost...

SteveT
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:18 AM
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Steve, like you, I felt the fairing didn't fit well as is. I contoured the long end to the shape of the bottom of the wing. This way I was able to attach the front and the back of the fairing to the fuselage with Welders for a secure mount and to make sure it was parallel to the fuse line. It also did not interfere with the hatch or removal of the wing. I butted the leading edge of the fairing up to the landing gear and attached the two spreading Welders similar to a foamy hinge. I'm sure there are better ways to mount these, just showing the option I went with. I still like the idea of having the fairing go all the way to the wheel pant so I'll either add and extension or make a new one.

Excuse the lousy pics but they are better than a couple thousand words. The view of the fairing is not to scale but you get the idea of how I shaped it
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:06 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Steve, like you, I felt the fairing didn't fit well as is. I contoured the long end to the shape of the bottom of the wing. This way I was able to attach the front and the back of the fairing to the fuselage with Welders for a secure mount and to make sure it was parallel to the fuse line. It also did not interfere with the hatch or removal of the wing. I butted the leading edge of the fairing up to the landing gear and attached the two spreading Welders similar to a foamy hinge. I'm sure there are better ways to mount these, just showing the option I went with. I still like the idea of having the fairing go all the way to the wheel pant so I'll either add and extension or make a new one.

Excuse the lousy pics but they are better than a couple thousand words. The view of the fairing is not to scale but you get the idea of how I shaped it
Yup....agreed.....and here are is a template for those wishing to do the same thing... LOL!! Great minds think alike....

And...from a source I can't disclose....another photo.. the original ones.....Seems very similar to the ones I posted yesterday!!!

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,866 Posts
Well...after seeing the red ones in the photo, I decided mine were pretty darn close to those, and I also think mine are a bit stronger, so, went with them. I just used tape for the time being, but as soon as I can get some black trim sheet, or find the faux carbon fiber trim sheet I have somewhere I will replace it...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:57 PM
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Looks good, I like the idea of faux carbon fiber trim. Thanks Steve.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:11 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,087 Posts
hanger 9 makes and ultracote that looks like carbon fibre

this would look cool
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts