Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:42 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
smart.

I usually suffer with papertowel hardened finger tips until I can find the gf's nailpolish remover.
Golden West "Super Solvent" is your friend....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Just our of curiosity......have most of you guys installed a screw through the landing gear into the wheel pants on this plane as called for in the instruction manual? It seems to me, that as thin as this gear is, it would be very prone to breaking there....

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,995 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Just our of curiosity......have most of you guys installed a screw through the landing gear into the wheel pants on this plane as called for in the instruction manual? It seems to me, that as thin as this gear is, it would be very prone to breaking there....

SteveT
I haven't installed the screw.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:11 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,564 Posts
I can understand its to keep the pant from spinning but I didn't install the screw either.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Hotay..... I didn't either...the landing gear just looks way too thing there for my liking...

Thanks Guys...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:31 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,284 Posts
didn't use the screw, seems to me it's better that the wheel pants can move a bit rather that rip a part on a not so perfect landing
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
My opinion also.....

And the landing gear fairings seem to be a bit strange to fit...(just my opinion), but really long and have to be trimmed (or am I doing something wrong???)

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,284 Posts
I don't like to say anything bad about 3dhs, but, in my humble opinion, now owning 9 of their planes, the fairing where/are an after though or late into production enhansment and do not fit like they should, I taped mine and they look like........well you know, but they do do the job
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:00 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
Yeah... I may end up using them as a basic template and make my own, as they really do not fit well...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:05 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
So....as i said in a previous post, I wasn't very happy with the way the fairings fit, (sorry 3DHS), I decided to make my own. These are made from 3/64th inch balsa and 1/64" plywood on one side, so are a couple of grams heavier, but I am sure the weight won't make a difference. The tops where they meet the fuselage and wing are beveled into two different directions...one to meet with the fuselage, and one to meet with the wing. the bottom ends are also beveled to meet the wheel pants. Here is a photo or the uncovered fairing, and a .pdf file that you can print off to make your own if you like. If you make sure that your printer is set to print at exact size, they will be at the correct size to just trace them off, or print on full size stick on label material and then you can just stick it on the wood and cut them out. You will need to flip the .pdf file to make the other side if you use sticky back material. Sorry, I had already glued one on before I thought of doing the ,pdf file for you guys....

I used Pace, "Zappa-dappa-goo" to glue them on, which is my favorite adhesive for gluing things like this on.

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SteveT.; Dec 26, 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,284 Posts
thanks Steve, I saved the file and will make some as time permits
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:37 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
As soon as the glue dries, and I can get some pics taken, I will post them..

StevdeT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
I did manage to get 1 brief flight in before dark today @ - 5:30 . Brief flight but was fun nonetheless. Take what I can get i guess.

The template will be helpful. Knowing me, it's not a matter if I will break the landing gear; but rather it's when I break the landing gear, the new template will be helpful. The fairing with likely be taken out when the landing gear goes. For the weight and size of this plane, the CF landing gear seems like a weak link to me.

Can't wait to have a few spare landing gears handy once parts are made available. If you guys found a viable alternatives, would love to hear it.

2nd - anyone using Xoar Props 15x6 PJN electric prop on hacker A30-12XL? What are you using as far as bushing the ensure the prop is center since the standard hole is wider than the prop adapter?
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:23 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,115 Posts
As I have a lathe, I can make prop bushings for you for a nominal cost...

SteveT
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:23 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Steve, thanks for the photo and template but now I'm really confused. Based on the picture it looks like you have the long side of the fairing going along the landing gear and the short side next to the wing. In looking at the pics of the prototype planes and manual with the white fairings that looks like how they go. But the production black fairing is much longer on the long side compared to the landing gear and is tapered at the end. Based on that it would require trimming about 2" off the fairing to get the long side to fit the gear. Most of the build pictures of the production kit have the long side of the fairing along the wing, which is how I mounted mine, assuming it was a part that didn't need trimming. The short side doesn't reach the wheel pant but appears to extend below the top of the wheel pant when looking from the side. I contoured mine to the wing similar to you but did it along the long side. I suppose it will work either way but I am wondering what the "correct" way is to mount the black fairing so as not to confuse folks.

Rick
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin