SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
thx. good to know.

I typically land in parking lots so typically the first few flights I am a little concern with the occasional nose down landing until I get used to the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Great setup, that's the same items I have in mine and it flies great. I'm running a 15x6 Xoar and flying off of a grass field and have no clearance issues with the stock wheels. I don't recall the size but the stock wheels work fine and fit the wheel pants
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 07:31 AM
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Build...starting

Starting my build. Seems like a standard build and should be easy enough.

Kit look nice. I've just started. Starting to expoxy the motor mount (thought about trying using wood glue instead...maybe next time) and apply thin CA wherever I think is needed. One particular area I know CA is needed is the battery hatch. I made 2 minor cracks on the battery hatch trying to get the hatch off at the beginning. It was on rather tight and as a result I had to dremel some wood away to make it easier to remove the hatch on/off relatively easier than it was before. Not an issue. I may add additional carbon fiber across the hatch to give it more strength in case I have to pull on it harder than it can handle down the road.

Landing gear and wheels are also done. I am leaving out the wheel caps for now until I get several flights with her so I don't scratch the caps (just in case). Also installed the rudder control horns.

Seems I should have everything ready for weekended maiden except for the motor. It's not scheduled to arrive until Monday based on the latest tracking of UPS.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Last edited by Reef_rc; Nov 07, 2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: edit
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:13 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Quote:
Starting to expoxy the motor mount ...
What? Why? Pic?

Soaking joints with thin CA is never a bad idea, but I tend to avoid the mess of mixing epoxy unless I need to.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 09:15 AM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
What? Why? Pic?
Probably learned it building those fragile PA planes that actually need it
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:51 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
zmonster97's Avatar
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,013 Posts
I think the OP should change the title of this thread to something like "3DHS 42" Vyper Bype Biplane."
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:01 PM
Certified Wingnut
LanceMc's Avatar
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
362 Posts
OK Guys, I'm confused. (Yeah it doesn't take much). I've got 8 flights on my Byper. When I first set it up, I balanced it at 5 3/16" with my finger tips. On my first flight it required 1 click of rudder trim and she flew straight and level, no adjustment to elevator trim. I put her into a 45 deg upline, flipped her inverted, and she performed a nice outside loop. She's tail heavy. I moved the battery forward, and repeated the test. She was less tail heavy (less tendacy to nose up on the inverted upline) but I didn't have to adjust the elevator trim for straight and level flight. I've moved the battery as far forward as I dare about 1 inch (a good portion of the battery is hanging over the end of the tray), She is still slightly tail heavy, But I still haven't had to adjust the elevator trim? I'm using the recommended Hacker motor with the spacers, I've got an 80A ESC inside the motor box, I've got the Hitec 85mg servos, and I'm using 2450 30C batteries. I'm going to get some larger heavier batteries 2650 or 3000, that should help with the CG. But I'm confused by not adjusting the elevator trim What am I missing?
Lance
LanceMc is online now Find More Posts by LanceMc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Starting my build. Seems like a standard build and should be easy enough.

Kit look nice. I've just started. Starting to expoxy the motor mount (thought about trying using wood glue instead...maybe next time) and apply thin CA wherever I think is needed. One particular area I know CA is needed is the battery hatch. I made 2 minor cracks on the battery hatch trying to get the hatch off at the beginning. It was on rather tight and as a result I had to dremel some wood away to make it easier to remove the hatch on/off relatively easier than it was before. Not an issue. I may add additional carbon fiber across the hatch to give it more strength in case I have to pull on it harder than it can handle down the road.

Landing gear and wheels are also done. I am leaving out the wheel caps for now until I get several flights with her so I don't scratch the caps (just in case). Also installed the rudder control horns.

Seems I should have everything ready for weekended maiden except for the motor. It's not scheduled to arrive until Monday based on the latest tracking of UPS.
Epoxy is too heavy and not needed, and will preclude you ever being able to replace the motor box if needed...I would not do it...

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 08:20 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Bivens's Avatar
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,511 Posts
Yes, good point....

Motor box replacement is one of the serious benefits on 3dhs planes...if you smash the front half....the motor box kit has all of the laser cut wood needed for repairs of motor box and battery tray, all of the way back to the wing tube....including landing gear mounting platform and carbon reinforcing for the gear mount.

The repair process starts with CA remover or acetone to soften the glue.....it's easy to get it apart then install the new kit....but if you epoxy the motor box....it will not be easy to get loose for repair.

Nice call Steve.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:20 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
28,002 Posts
Thank you....

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Maiden - CHECK!

After a rather late night/early morning dash to finish the build before sunrise, I was able to maiden this little beauty quarter till 7 AM this Sunday. 3 flights was all I was able to get in due to weather conditions.

Maiden was non eventful; always a good thing. Today forecast had winds predicted up to 20 mph and cloudy sky. Since I was up late finishing up the build, I had firm plans to maiden the bird before the weekend was over and before winds got crazy. Given the plane has mass, 12 mph winds wasn't too much of an issue for the maiden flight and 2 subsequent flights. Take offs were less than 5 feet. Landings were all three point landings. Trim wise I wasn't able to do much here since the wind tossed her around slightly. I did make minor trim adjustment but nothing is absolute until I can fly in calmer weather late this coming week.

Flights were with 14x7 APC electric prop. I had wanted to use 15x6 wood prop from Xoar but the center hole was too big for the standard spinner and I didn't want to mess with it.

Overall it's a nice plane given the limited flight time. Can't wait for more stick time .

IMG 0275 (0 min 39 sec)
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2009
4,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
After a rather late night/early morning dash to finish the build before sunrise, I was able to maiden this little beauty quarter till 7 AM this Sunday. 3 flights was all I was able to get in due to weather conditions.

Maiden was non eventful; always a good thing. Today forecast had winds predicted up to 20 mph and cloudy sky. Since I was up late finishing up the build, I had firm plans to maiden the bird before the weekend was over and before winds got crazy. Given the plane has mass, 12 mph winds wasn't too much of an issue for the maiden flight and 2 subsequent flights. Take offs were less than 5 feet. Landings were all three point landings. Trim wise I wasn't able to do much here since the wind tossed her around slightly. I did make minor trim adjustment but nothing is absolute until I can fly in calmer weather late this coming week.

Flights were with 14x7 APC electric prop. I had wanted to use 15x6 wood prop from Xoar but the center hole was too big for the standard spinner and I didn't want to mess with it.

Overall it's a nice plane given the limited flight time. Can't wait for more stick time .

http://vimeo.com/53261753
Nice
But you forgot your pants.
jsmith285 is offline Find More Posts by jsmith285
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:05 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,452 Posts
this is one plane that really needs the pants, even though I have already cracked one of mine, what is the best way to fix? glass cloth and epoxy?
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
this is one plane that really needs the pants, even though I have already cracked one of mine, what is the best way to fix? glass cloth and epoxy?
glass and CA, or rolled up paper towel and CA. I use a piece of parchment paper to hold whatever it is down while I goose thing CA into the fiberglass or paper towel...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:17 PM
Registered User
Reef_rc's Avatar
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
You can say I ran outside after a late night without my pants on .

I typically saved the pants for later once I get the trim worked out. Just a preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285 View Post
Nice
But you forgot your pants.
Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
United States, NY, Alfred
Joined Apr 2009
7,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
glass and CA, or rolled up paper towel and CA. I use a piece of parchment paper to hold whatever it is down while I goose thing CA into the fiberglass or paper towel...
smart.

I usually suffer with papertowel hardened finger tips until I can find the gf's nailpolish remover.
Irg is online now Find More Posts by Irg
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Unofficial 3DHS-Bipe thread. Buzzkill2 3D Flying 139 Jul 07, 2011 01:13 AM
Question 3DHS Bipe? PinkYakRC 3D Flying 127 Jul 03, 2011 11:11 AM
Question Crashed my 3DHS Edge 55 need new planes any advice? bhoges17 3D Flying 11 Jan 26, 2010 01:19 PM
Any news of new GWS P-40??? CryHavoc Parkflyers 5 Sep 05, 2004 11:41 AM