Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:29 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,344 Posts
Anybody flying this with the recommended motor? Just wondering how it handles KE spins.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
3Daddict's Avatar
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Anybody flying this with the recommended motor? Just wondering how it handles KE spins.
I do not have this plane, but I do have the hacker in my 51'' slick and I do KE spins at full throttle all the time and have not had any issues with the motor. However it does get really hot.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:40 PM
Scott Stoops
sukhoi26mx's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Just wondering how it handles KE spins.
3DHS Vyper Bipe pilot Joe Smith (6 min 2 sec)


2:27

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:53 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,344 Posts
Thanks 3Daddict and Scott...on another thread JetPlaneFlyer posted a photo of the hacker motor breaking due to KE spins. Sevaeral people have reported the Turnigy SK3 (several of which have broke) due to KE spins. I've broken a Turnigy SK3 3548 700 kv after about 10 flights on a different plane pulling out of a KE spin, and I don't even do full throttle KE spins. My motor came down cool after flights before it broke, and I never had a prop strike with it.

I'm hoping the hacker is stronger than the SK3, though some speculate they may be made in the same factory with the same or similar bell housing design. The break illustrated in the photo below looks identical to the way my SK3 broke (though my shaft didn't break, just the bearing housing). Fortunately, I was able to side slip and deadstick land without any damage.

Supposedly a Hacker A30-12XL (I say supposedly because I haven't actually held one, not because I doubt JetPlaneFlyer):

7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:34 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,150 Posts
WELL!!!! It seems I too had the same problem that has plagued a few others here, and even though I was forewarned, when I tried to get the carbon fiber AR pin in my left wing, it would not go in, and when I tried to carefully hand drill it out, the tube came out of the wing. Upon inspection, I found that the tubed was too small for the rod to go into it at all. I ended up having to install a piece of carbon fiber tube that I had into the wing, and then even though I left the tube longer than what was going to be needed, (planning to cut it off after gluing, the CA glue when right through the tube and locked the rod into that side of the wing.. It's ok....it lines up fine and I will just leave it in that wing, or, I may get some more carbon fiber tube or solid rod, the size of the piece supplied by 3DHS and drill the piece out. Either way, will be no big deal... Of course considering the size of the wings on this plane, they may just get installed once and left installed.

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:07 AM
Just having fun
Fredriksson's Avatar
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,084 Posts
Sorry to hear about the anti-rotation pin issues. Mine was tight but I was able to use a little force and the pin went in.

I finally got the decals onto my Byper and settled on a name. My wife insists on planes having names. She is able to associate my different planes to given names better than recognizing the model name. She came up with the name for this 3DHS Vyper Bype and the decal design. So this plane will henceforth and forever be called Echo. I have approximated the "Echo" decal on the tail in the attached picture. I am seeking advice on where to get the graphics in vinyl. I have only used one vinyl graphics vendor and, although I was satisfied with the final result, I was not satisfied with the delivery time or the lack of verification that the original delivered product was to specifications. Any suggestions on custom vinyl graphics vendors would be appreciated.



Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:09 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
theKM's Avatar
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Thanks 3Daddict and Scott...on another thread JetPlaneFlyer posted a photo of the hacker motor breaking due to KE spins. Sevaeral people have reported the Turnigy SK3 (several of which have broke) due to KE spins. I've broken a Turnigy SK3 3548 700 kv after about 10 flights on a different plane pulling out of a KE spin, and I don't even do full throttle KE spins. My motor came down cool after flights before it broke, and I never had a prop strike with it.

I'm hoping the hacker is stronger than the SK3, though some speculate they may be made in the same factory with the same or similar bell housing design. The break illustrated in the photo below looks identical to the way my SK3 broke (though my shaft didn't break, just the bearing housing). Fortunately, I was able to side slip and deadstick land without any damage.

Supposedly a Hacker A30-12XL (I say supposedly because I haven't actually held one, not because I doubt JetPlaneFlyer):

uncharacteristic failure... Hackers are generally the high standard by which other motors are measured against...
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:18 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
SteveT.'s Avatar
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,150 Posts
NachosCheese.net..... ADCHobbystore.com..... BandeGrahpixs.com...... Callie-Graphics.com.....S8Graphix.com......in no particular order....and there are also a few guys here on RCG....one whose name escapes me at the moment hangs out on the 48" Edge thread...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:31 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
M.Putnam's Avatar
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,069 Posts
Wow, got real quiet in here...I haven't had time to work on mine.
M.Putnam is offline Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
inverted-i-fly
3drcparts's Avatar
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,285 Posts
put six flights on mine today, got most of the coupling mixed out, it needed a lot, but it now flys KE nice and straight, definitely a fun plane, I'm surprised by how much elevator authority it has with such small movements. Get it built
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
3D Sunset Flier
Buzzed's Avatar
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
3,901 Posts
http://www.bandegraphix.com/

Best vinyl and customer support ever!

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
What?!? I didn't do that!
gremlin's Avatar
Orchard Park, NY
Joined Dec 2002
267 Posts
Got my maiden flight and a few others in today. Wow, what a nice plane to fly, great job 3DHS crew! If you follow the recommended settings the Bype is very controllable and does exactly what you want it to do. Far less coupling than I oringinally expected. I still have a little mixing to do but not much. The red one really stands out while in the air. It's nice to be able to throw it in the van without having to take the wings off. I'm going to have to get a few more packs for this one, the Bype is a keeper.

Here are a few pictures of the Vyper Bype side by side with the small GP Reactor Bipe to get a size comparision.
gremlin is offline Find More Posts by gremlin
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
Certified Wingnut
LanceMc's Avatar
Delta BC
Joined Jul 2008
346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Got my maiden flight and a few others in today. Wow, what a nice plane to fly, great job 3DHS crew! If you follow the recommended settings the Bype is very controllable and does exactly what you want it to do. Far less coupling than I oringinally expected. I still have a little mixing to do but not much. The red one really stands out while in the air. It's nice to be able to throw it in the van without having to take the wings off. I'm going to have to get a few more packs for this one, the Bype is a keeper.

Here are a few pictures of the Vyper Bype side by side with the small GP Reactor Bipe to get a size comparision.
Dang you guys are killing me! I've wanted 1 of these beauties since they were first leaked 1.5 yrs ago. I've got all the electronics ready to go, all I need is a red Byper listed on ADCHobbyStore.com!!!!

Lance
LanceMc is offline Find More Posts by LanceMc
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Bigster's Avatar
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,567 Posts
It is definitely the sexiest plane I own.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:19 PM
Wherever you go there you are
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,344 Posts
So does the plane require mixes?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Unofficial 3DHS-Bipe thread. Buzzkill2 3D Flying 139 Jul 07, 2011 12:13 AM
Question 3DHS Bipe? PinkYakRC 3D Flying 127 Jul 03, 2011 10:11 AM
Question Crashed my 3DHS Edge 55 need new planes any advice? bhoges17 3D Flying 11 Jan 26, 2010 12:19 PM
Any news of new GWS P-40??? CryHavoc Parkflyers 5 Sep 05, 2004 10:41 AM