HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:42 PM
Watts is where its at!
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2004
1,747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Has anyone seen a threaded pushrod with "concentric" threads rather than spiral? I've been trying to get a ball link installed and near as I can tell this is the case.
Yea, I've had that happen. One of the pushrods in a kit will just be rolled badly. Really frustrating until you realize whats going on!

I just replaced it with a similar stainless rod from Tower or the LHS.
racerxky is offline Find More Posts by racerxky
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,448 Posts
finally done, maiden in the morning if it's not too foggy
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:06 PM
The Sky's the Limit
Lexington Ky.
Joined Mar 2005
122 Posts
looks great! good luck I love the red.
mad skill is offline Find More Posts by mad skill
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:01 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,779 Posts
Looks great I-I-Fly!

I would be closer to maiden if I hadn't made a stupid mistake last night. A couple of the magnets pulled out of the wing, so I finally got around to putting them back. I carefully marked the correct sides/polarity, and started to put one back so I could glue it. It popped right through the hole and as I tipped it to shake it out, it snapped onto the back of one of the others that was glued in! Some debonder and tapping got both of them out, and I proceeded to glue them all in.

Actually, one of them is still not glued, as it isn't *perfectly* flush with the wing root. It's got me nervous, since that's the only thing holding the top wings on (aside from the struts) right? Should I pop it out (and risk it finding its mate again)?
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,219 Posts
Quote:
Looks great I-I-Fly!

I would be closer to maiden if I hadn't made a stupid mistake last night. A couple of the magnets pulled out of the wing, so I finally got around to putting them back. I carefully marked the correct sides/polarity, and started to put one back so I could glue it. It popped right through the hole and as I tipped it to shake it out, it snapped onto the back of one of the others that was glued in! Some debonder and tapping got both of them out, and I proceeded to glue them all in.

Actually, one of them is still not glued, as it isn't *perfectly* flush with the wing root. It's got me nervous, since that's the only thing holding the top wings on (aside from the struts) right? Should I pop it out (and risk it finding its mate again)?
depends on what "not perfectly flush" means... if it's 1mm or under I probably wouldn't care, if it's more than that, I'd re-seat for the top wing.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
I got my Byper complete. Did the maiden this past Sunday. I am a pretty sedate flyer compared to many of you guys but fly IMAC style with some 3D stuff thrown in for fun. This plane flew great right from the get go.

I built my Byper using the recommended Dubro servo arms attaching all control surfaces to the outermost holes in the arms. Then with all that was said in this forum concerning not needing the extreme throws, I checked and had way more throws on all surfaces than needed. So I moved everything to the innermost holes on the Dubro arms. Even then I had to limit the servo travel with my TX to get the recommended high and low rates.

I checked the power system. I am using the Hacker A30-12XL motor with a 75 Amp Castle Ice ESC spinning a APC 15x6E prop. The meter showed 55A at WOT for 790W of power. The prop was spinning right at 8000 RPM for a pitch speed of about 45 mph. This Byper does fly faster than my 3DHS Extra 300 SHP. And the vertical power is outstanding. My build ended up at 3.5lb (56.6 oz) empty so with an 8oz 4S 2200mAh LiPo the AUW is right at 4 lbs. That calculates to 196 W/lb. Mighty sweet. This plane will accelerate vertically out of a hover. I was able to squeeze a 4S 3300mAh LiPo in and the Byper still balanced nicely. And even with the extra weight she had lots of power with 181W/lb.

The plane flew great tracking very nicely. And I was really surprised with how nicely this plane lands. I fly off of a hard asphalt runway so nice landings really save landing gear. I did 4 take offs and landings and all 4 landings were easy to grease right in using a little power as has been suggested. And, as you all know, the red color scheme is downright gorgeous.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:17 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,114 Posts
Freddy,

Looks good! Can't wait to get mine done. Just no time right now...

Glad you like the way it flies.

P.S. I am partial to the red myself.

Matt
M.Putnam is online now Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:25 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,678 Posts
Red always flies best!!!!

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5,779 Posts
Got the magnets squared away and wings installed. Those struts fit one way out of 8 by the way. Ask me how I know. One side did take a little convincing but it looks great with the wings and cowl on. Just have some soldering left to do. Oh and find a screw for my HS-85. The weather better cooperate this weekend!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:43 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,448 Posts
didn't make it out today, too foggy and windy. will try to do maiden in the morning, maybe I can figure out how to use my hatcam
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,450 Posts
Quote:
Those struts fit one way out of 8 by the way. Ask me how I know. One side did take a little convincing but it looks great with the wings and cowl on.
I learned that too... they "look" like thy will fit a different way, but no. Of course I had them all bolted to the bottom wing before I figured out that the top wing holes wouldn't quite line up. Then I noticed the slight gap on the top wing where they didn't fit just perfect. *sigh* take all bolts back off and do 'em again, flipping it over and then it was perfect.
Pain in the nuts, fortunately you only have to do it when you first build the plane!
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Sep 2004
5,779 Posts
How is the gap on the top of the struts vs the bottom for you? Since I put the bottom on first, the top don't fit quite flush. Flipped over, it wasn't even close. I was hesitant to flex the wing slightly to get it to fit.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:58 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,450 Posts
had almost no gap at all once I fitted them right.
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:12 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
had almost no gap at all once I fitted them right.
+1 You have to get the orientation just right!
M.Putnam is online now Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Old Sep 27, 2012, 01:02 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5,779 Posts
Hmm. It definitely got better in one particular orientation for each one, but the top front of each isn't nice and flush. Maybe I'll see if I can get the bottom rear part to have the gap so I don't see it.