SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:11 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,937 Posts
I just stumbled across this thread. I guess I have been living under a rock.

3DHS sells a biplane. Now that is awesome!

Subscribing and reading.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:17 AM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1352 View Post
Nice, Kevin maidened his today too, quite the roll rate on this thing.
Yep..rolls like crazy at higher rates. Tracks well in same direction during rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
I apparently forgot to put a screw in the rudder servo arm and it came off on the 4th flight. She got away from me a bit on landing, I split the uprights (light poles) and soft of cartwheeled it in the dirt.

Friends don't let friends build sick
How did you keep the wires from pulling off during the first 3 flights without the screw present??

Those light poles just "creep" up on you especially during the first few flights, don't they? That is why I decided to maiden mine in the wide open space up north. Got to watch out for the circle flyers though!!

Weaser, you got the red one, didn't you? Get her fixed and we will do some formation flying soon.
Quiet E. Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Quiet E. Flyer
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:52 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,180 Posts
Yep, got the red one. The whole arm came off on that 4th flight and was hanging from the cooling hole as I walked up to it
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:28 AM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,656 Posts
Funny you should mention - I did the pull-pull last night and opened the servo box to find the screw missing. I've had these servos for months and never looked in the box. I hope I pulled it out and put it to good use but I still need to find a replacement.
Bigster is offline Find More Posts by Bigster
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:21 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,442 Posts
Flew mine yesterday in 15+mph winds.....this thing tracks very well...like all other vypers. Trimmed properly and at mid-high throttle, it was hands off in the wind ALL the way across the field.....very straight. I'm closing in on getting KE mixes right. I have my battery forward and like it that way, tracks so well.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet E. Flyer View Post
Cut cooling hole further back and left the hatch alone. Did not want the electronics to be visible/exposed.
I already cut the cooling hole in the hatch, just wondering if I should cut a second one
3drcparts is online now Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:03 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
Depends, fly and check motor temp, if it is hot cut more holes

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Sep 2004
5,656 Posts
Has anyone seen a threaded pushrod with "concentric" threads rather than spiral? I've been trying to get a ball link installed and near as I can tell this is the case.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:57 AM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
I already cut the cooling hole in the hatch, just wondering if I should cut a second one
One hole was fine in >95F temp. in AZ. Hacker motor warm to touch after 6 mins flight. I may make a one sided baffle on the intake to direct flow to the motor. ( It helped in all my ~70in. sized planes )

Cut another hole if you like or prefer another location. White covering is easy to match if you change your mind or do not like the appearance.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:53 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,442 Posts
Quote:
...near as I can tell this is the case...
It should be easy to tell, just by looking very closely...may take a magnifying glass....I've seen a bad pushrod before, but not on this one.

To thread up my pushrods...I use a cordless drill...fast and easy....chuck the rod in the drill, and at low to mid speed, turn it the correct direction...into the ball end...works very well.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
Joined Sep 2004
5,656 Posts
I ended up replacing it with another I had - bonus is that I have ball links on both ends now.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:01 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigster View Post
Has anyone seen a threaded pushrod with "concentric" threads rather than spiral? I've been trying to get a ball link installed and near as I can tell this is the case.
On most high quality push rods, the threads are rolled, not cut, and sometimes the rollers just aren't tight enough, which basically ends up being like have a dull die, So, the threads just aren't sharp enough to cut....best to just do what you did, and use another one....

SteveT..
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:22 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
Catching up a bit - Re motor spacers:

When we mold one piece tapered cowls, we usually send optional motor spacers to allow for any variations in the outside dimensions of the fuselage and the inside dimensions of the cowl. There's no "right" answer to using the spacers, they are included to be used if necessary to achieve the cowl to spinner gap the owner of the plane desires.

Harrier:

Because the byper has even more pitch authority than a high performance 3D monoplane, the samde advice we give for monoplanes goes double here - Don't harrier with too much elevator, it only requires 1/3 stick or so.

Byplane vs. monoplane -

If someone has not experienced a really good 3D monoplane, I'd recommend they do so first. If, however, a person has had several monplanes and is looking for a different experience, that's what a bype is for.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucor basher View Post
Catching up a bit - Re motor spacers:

When we mold one piece tapered cowls, we usually send optional motor spacers to allow for any variations in the outside dimensions of the fuselage and the inside dimensions of the cowl. There's no "right" answer to using the spacers, they are included to be used if necessary to achieve the cowl to spinner gap the owner of the plane desires.
Thanks for supplying the spacers, Ben. I use the spacers because the carbon motor cross-mount (originally sold by 3DHS) was too large to fit flat on the firewall. The cowl still fits fine with the spinner gap just right.

You are definitely correct about the "different" experience!! A wonderful addition to your variety of available planes for us all. Thank you again!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:53 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,733 Posts
Where's all the video guys? Yall are killing me.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer