Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:59 AM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,370 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
True, but most people use left aileron in torque rolls anyways!

Yes it would be two ESC, and bigger battery, but less motor for both. Becuase of limited selection it would definitely be less pitch speed, but at a higher KV I can run a little less bite, and larger diameter prop. Say a 14x5 or so and spin slightly faster.... I just think It would be fun with the ultimate 3D plane to have a crazy wacky set up as well....
My friend....if it trips your trigger.....then that is what it is all about.....

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:00 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
My friend....if it trips your trigger.....then that is what it is all about.....

SteveT
Lol I guess so! I just think it would be cool and different, for such a different plane!
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:31 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,207 Posts
Maidened mine today, had an absolutely beautiful day for flying here today, mid 70's and no wind, sunny skies. Couldn't ask for a nicer day. Brought my 51" Slick out and the biplane, wound up never even taking the Slick out of the car

Maiden was smooth and easy. I set mine up per the rates in the manual for high, then for low I just used 50% of that for the dual rate %'s on elevator and aileron. holy crap it's responsive. Had to drop my aileron % down to 35% of the high rate and up the expo on low to 35 (was 20). It's amazing how effective the rudder and elevator are on it. Being a biplane it displays the usual wing rock type tendencies when you stall out the plane, but not nearly as bad as others I have flown. Harriers can be nice and smooth on it, but you have to be gentle on the sticks to be sure. Requires a bit of constant right rudder while harriering (upright) too. No rudder drags for me on this thing, it can get pretty squirrely if you don't watch it in a harrier. Lands very nice and smooth, predictable and nice sink rate on it. Takes a bit of throttle to land, but is very easy to grease in.
The elevators are amazing, roll it inverted and give high rate down elevator and it just drops straight down. Awesome. Did some decent pop tops, and a sort of knife edge spin, but wasn't a nice clean one. My motor (hacker a30-12xl) was quite warm on landing though, so I avoided really trying KE spins. Those seem to heat the motor up more than just about anything else. I was already landing at 135-145 degrees, and thats on a 75 degree ambient temp day. Need to either add air scoops or get a Motrolfly, that Hacker is going to die a quick death running it that hot. Landed one time and it was 159 degrees. Must have been pushing hard on that flight
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:38 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
so basically if i LOVE my 42" slick, and want a 51", there is no reason(Apart from getting a 3dhs biplane) to buy this one?
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:16 PM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,163 Posts
Another nice one Scott, Ben....and the 3DHS crew.....THANKS!

Maiden mine today. Built it like the instructions with the set up as suggested. No trimming required with the CG at 5 in.

Quite responsive at the low rates. Very fun at the high rates!!

Knife Edge spins and blenders were cool.... very little rudder input required. Even did some pop-tops (sort of anyway). Need to mix out the knife edge flights a little.

I can assure you all that the magnets holding the wings were strong...... as both the aluminum thumb screws came off sometime during the 4th flight. Wings stayed on with my usual maneuvers. Heard some rattling when I pick the Bype up at the end of the flight. Checked... and to my surprised, both thumb screws were off, resting on the canopy while it was upside down!!

I am going to use some rubber washers/O-ring the next time!
Quiet E. Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Quiet E. Flyer
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:20 PM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimaarts View Post
so basically if i LOVE my 42" slick, and want a 51", there is no reason(Apart from getting a 3dhs biplane) to buy this one?
I have owned three 51in Slicks since the first batch........and I can reassure you that this Bype flies quite differently... in a good different kind of way !

Like everyone will say,...."GET BOTH"!
Old Sep 22, 2012, 02:37 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet E. Flyer View Post
I have owned three 51in Slicks since the first batch........and I can reassure you that this Bype flies quite differently... in a good different kind of way !

Like everyone will say,...."GET BOTH"!
in a 48" power package, i wouldnt give a second tought about that... but in 51" pack i have to choose only one so far and i guess it will be red 51"....
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:51 PM
Shade Tree Aviation #2
United States, NC, Rutherfordton
Joined Jan 2002
1,073 Posts
I really like the look of this airplane. I think I would like it even better if it were bigger! Any plans for a 6s (or bigger) size?
M.Putnam is offline Find More Posts by M.Putnam
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:13 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,207 Posts
cooling scoops and esc mounting

Someone asked about ESC mounting, here you can see what I did, cut a piece of 3/32" ply about 3/4" wide and glued it from the beginning bottom edge of the motorbox area back to the wood that the carbon U-channel is against. You can see the edge of the ply in the head on shot, and you can tell where it's going in the above shot. Then just velcroed the ESC to it. I had the cowl off today while building some air scoops to cool the motor down as my Hacker a30-12xl was landing with temps in the 140-150 ranges, so it needed something!
I built little cooling scoops out of balsa and capped the sides to hopefully contain the airflow better since they are on the small side due to the cowl shape. Also made mounting the cowl tricky... now has to start on sideways to clear the scoops and sort of twist as it goes back to clear the air scoops/baffles.
Tomorrow I will see how much difference those make in the motor temps. Past experience has shown me that they will let your motor run a good 20 degrees cooler. Hopefully so!
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:17 PM
Team 3DHS
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
Someone asked about ESC mounting, here you can see what I did, cut a piece of 3/32" ply about 3/4" wide and glued it from the beginning bottom edge of the motorbox area back to the wood that the carbon U-channel is against. You can see the edge of the ply in the head on shot, and you can tell where it's going in the above shot. Then just velcroed the ESC to it. I had the cowl off today while building some air scoops to cool the motor down as my Hacker a30-12xl was landing with temps in the 140-150 ranges, so it needed something!
I built little cooling scoops out of balsa and capped the sides to hopefully contain the airflow better since they are on the small side due to the cowl shape. Also made mounting the cowl tricky... now has to start on sideways to clear the scoops and sort of twist as it goes back to clear the air scoops/baffles.
Tomorrow I will see how much difference those make in the motor temps. Past experience has shown me that they will let your motor run a good 20 degrees cooler. Hopefully so!
Awesome job on the baffles/scoops. This hacker definitely needs them.
joesmith285 is offline Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:49 PM
Huck On,Huck Off, The Hucker
Philippines, Northern Mindanao, CDO
Joined Oct 2009
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet E. Flyer View Post
Maiden mine today. Built it like the instructions with the set up as suggested. No trimming required with the CG at 5 in.

Quite responsive at the low rates. Very fun at the high rates!!

Knife Edge spins and blenders were cool.... very little rudder input required. Even did some pop-tops (sort of anyway). Need to mix out the knife edge flights a little.

I can assure you all that the magnets holding the wings were strong...... as both the aluminum thumb screws came off sometime during the 4th flight. Wings stayed on with my usual maneuvers. Heard some rattling when I pick the Bype up at the end of the flight. Checked... and to my surprised, both thumb screws were off, resting on the canopy while it was upside down!!

I am going to use some rubber washers/O-ring the next time!
Nice, Kevin maidened his today too, quite the roll rate on this thing.
graham1352 is online now Find More Posts by graham1352
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:58 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,317 Posts
on some of the videos I see dual cooling holes in the bottom of the fuse, but the manual only states cut cooling hole in the hatch, what's everyone doing
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:06 PM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham1352 View Post
Nice, Kevin maidened his today too, quite the roll rate on this thing.
Yep and just after you left what I said earlier in the day hit home. I built my Byper while I was sick and sure enough I messed something up. I apparently forgot to put a screw in the rudder servo arm and it came off on the 4th flight. She got away from me a bit on landing, I split the uprights (light poles) and soft of cartwheeled it in the dirt. Not much damage though, a little wing tip and aileron breakage on lower right wing, fuse at lower right root busted in a tad, broke a prop, and a little wheel pant damage. Fuse and wheel pant already fixed and wing should not be too bad.

Friends don't let friends build sick
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:01 AM
Huck On,Huck Off, The Hucker
Philippines, Northern Mindanao, CDO
Joined Oct 2009
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
Yep and just after you left what I said earlier in the day hit home. I built my Byper while I was sick and sure enough I messed something up. I apparently forgot to put a screw in the rudder servo arm and it came off on the 4th flight. She got away from me a bit on landing, I split the uprights (light poles) and soft of cartwheeled it in the dirt. Not much damage though, a little wing tip and aileron breakage on lower right wing, fuse at lower right root busted in a tad, broke a prop, and a little wheel pant damage. Fuse and wheel pant already fixed and wing should not be too bad.

Friends don't let friends build sick
Dang, well she's all broken in now
graham1352 is online now Find More Posts by graham1352
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
"Thumbs"
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Jan 2007
1,163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
on some of the videos I see dual cooling holes in the bottom of the fuse, but the manual only states cut cooling hole in the hatch, what's everyone doing
Cut cooling hole further back and left the hatch alone. Did not want the electronics to be visible/exposed.