SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:48 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
its going to be a tough sale a will be interesting to see how it compares to the 57"
Are you still going for one?
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
I think Joe needs to do another couple videos of it, putting it through all the moves. Not enough visual stimulation yet! I would like to be a fly on the wall at 3DHS.....
Buzzzz!!
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined Apr 2010
2,658 Posts
I know you said another couple of videos, so I'm sure you've seen this... but it looks like it flies great. If I hadn't built a 70 inch last month and now wanting to upgrade my TX, I'd be finding it really hard not to pre-order.

3DHS Vyper Bipe pilot Joe Smith (6 min 2 sec)
FireyFate is offline Find More Posts by FireyFate
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:03 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
I am finding it hard not to pre order. I already have the gear for it too. I have about 10 planes from 3DHS. I did just stack my only EF plane though. A 48 Edge I could replace the plane with a new motor and speed control for the same loot. Or get another 59 Slick or a 60 incher from EF. That's the dilemma. I am quite positive it is a mental thing with the 42 inch wing span. Seeing it up close and personal would probably show it to be much larger.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,227 Posts
Maybe a pic of one next to a 51'' Slick would help me decide I'll wait for some folks to get them before i order mine.
hone1er is offline Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
maybe a pic of one next to a 51'' slick would help me decide i'll wait for some folks to get them before i order mine.
+1.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:18 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Big your are missing the point of the bipe though. There wing spans are smaller because there is two wings . Its a bit longer than I would like though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Are you still going for one?
not sure yet. I know you are still eyeing that 3615 that I've got in my laser. 300 is in the price of a 60 and its getting closer to the 78".

If scott is still around I have a question. Since this is a biplane and you go into high alpha how does airflow go under the top wing? Air is going to see the lower wing a lot more than the top wing since you have effectively somewhat closed off the entrance area for the wing. Air is still going under the top wing though.

So what does this do for flight characteristics and was it mitigated by the angled tips?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Big your are missing the point of the bipe though. There wing spans are smaller because there is two wings . Its a bit longer than I would like though.

not sure yet. I know you are still eyeing that 3615 that I've got in my laser. 300 is in the price of a 60 and its getting closer to the 78".

If scott is still around I have a question. Since this is a biplane and you go into high alpha how does airflow go under the top wing? Air is going to see the lower wing a lot more than the top wing since you have effectively somewhat closed off the entrance area for the wing. Air is still going under the top wing though.

So what does this do for flight characteristics and was it mitigated by the angled tips?
It's longer than you would like?... would be the first time I've heard of a plane having a length problem

I'm not Scott... but the wings do have a stagger, so there is still air getting under the top wing in upright harrier. but the thing about harrier is that it's still mostly an operation of thrust and stability is about the shape of the airframe moving through the air and how it plays around airframe... it's still about the effects of the spiral slipstream, the attachment of the air to the wing, inverted harrier is still helped by the fin/rudder acting as a keel, etc etc. The wingtips are for other things like snap performance rather than for 3D.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:56 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Harr harr Arron,

It would have been nice if it was 42x42" as it would be about the same size as the baby slick. Looking through the specs on biplanes (Pitts and ultimate) the length is typically the same as the wingspan or about 10%. So why go longer on the fuse? Was it to get the rudder out for high alpha upright?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Quote:
Harr harr Arron,

It would have been nice if it was 42x42" as it would be about the same size as the baby slick. Looking through the specs on biplanes (Pitts and ultimate) the length is typically the same as the wingspan or about 10%. So why go longer on the fuse? Was it to get the rudder out for high alpha upright?
Probably less pitch sensitive, smoother.
Aren't most of the mono wings built square? I know the bipe I used to have had more length than span. It was something like 58" fuse and a 55" span.
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
And again not Scott

With any biplane your effective wing aeria is lower that of a mono plane for just the reasons you stated.You will also have a higher actual wing loading, though I suspect that in this instance it will be neglible. The bigger problem with the biplane is to get effective airflow over the tail feathers. Watching the video it looks like Scott has solved that problem.

As to the wing span fuslage length? If you have ever flowen a scale model pitts then you will have noted that they are very pitch sensitive and are not good at precision flight. They also have coupling issues that make them less than fun to fly and precision and knife edge are real problems. The longer fuslage will help solve these problems at the expense of some tumbling.

I long ago quit buying biplanes because there were none that flew well, especially when it came to precision. forgot how many I have scratch built.

And just an FYI all of the full slicks,edges and extras have shorter fuslages than wing span;s, another RC modifcation made for better flight performance.

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Harr harr Arron,

I have the Great Planes Reactor Bipe and it has a 34 inch wingspan and is 43 inches long. To me they actually look quite similar.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:39 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,469 Posts
And as to why you would spend $300.00 to buy a 42" biplane

#1 it is a biplane
#2 there are no other biplanes to chose from.
#3 Though it has a 42" wing span I will bet the the wing aeria is close to that of the 59" slick, 600 sq"

And the last reason to spend $300.00 is its a BIPLANE

Just my 2c

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
And as to why you would spend $300.00 to buy a 42" biplane

#1 it is a biplane
#2 there are no other biplanes to chose from.
#3 Though it has a 42" wing span I will bet the the wing aeria is close to that of the 59" slick, 600 sq"

And the last reason to spend $300.00 is its a BIPLANE

Just my 2c

Dennis

Agree.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Have you flown the Reactor? I do not agree with #2.