HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Discussion
Bottom blades not spinning TY901 / S107

I have a TY901 (similar it seems to an S107).

It has flown week for a week or so but now the bottom blades do not spin up so of course the whole body just spins on the ground.

The top blade is connected to the bottom gear (which is about the size of a quarter) and the bottom blade is connected to the top gear.

The top gear is spun by the forward motor and when I manually spin the blades, the big gear turns fine and spins the tiny gear on the drive shaft. So it all looks ok, but when I power it up from the remote, only the top blades spin.

If I shake it a bit, the bottom blades will spin, but not at any significant speed and it quickly falls back to nothing.

It did not crash prior to this happening - the battery went down, I charged it back up and now the bottom does not spin.

Ideas?
DesertNomad is offline Find More Posts by DesertNomad
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Just as a follow-up. I am guessing it is a problem with a motor. Is this common? I've only flown it for a week or so. When I hold the bottom blades, there is no torque on them when I push the throttle up, and the top blades spin normally.

It does not appear to be a broken shaft as if I hold the top big gear, I can't spin the blade, and when I push the throttle up, the small gear on the drive shaft (which is meshed with the top big gear) does not try to spin.

How hard is it to replace the motor?

Rather disappointed this didn't last very long.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:31 AM
Joined Feb 2010
187 Posts
Remove canopy to check whether the wires are still connected to PCB or not??If the wires are slipped off you may resolder..
Otherwise,the lower motor need to be replaced,it would not quite hard replacing motor,however you need to disassemble some related parts before pull out motor from it's hole .
ndp62 is offline Find More Posts by ndp62
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:44 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndp62 View Post
Remove canopy to check whether the wires are still connected to PCB or not??If the wires are slipped off you may resolder..
Otherwise,the lower motor need to be replaced,it would not quite hard replacing motor,however you need to disassemble some related parts before pull out motor from it's hole .
Where is a good place to buy a motor? Although mine is a TY901 (bought in China), it looks 99% like a S107.

TY901:
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=8078
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:50 AM
Joined Feb 2010
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertNomad View Post
Where is a good place to buy a motor? Although mine is a TY901 (bought in China), it looks 99% like a S107.

TY901:
Both motors 7mm are used for mini helicopter are compatible so you can buy herehttp://www.focalprice.com/goods_540_1_c.html
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Thanks. I hope it is just a loose wire - it seems unlikely that a motor would burn out after less than 2 hrs of total flight.
Last edited by DesertNomad; Jan 27, 2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 10:15 AM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
Quote:

TY901:
that has a totally different gear configuration (tail fins and flybar set-up too) from an S107, I'd say it looks like it's more 6010 than S107. I think they both take the same main motors though, tail motors may be different...
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Well it seems it is fried. The motor doesn't spin at all and it looks difficult to replace because of the way everything is routed. At the low price point of these it is easier to just salvage the blades and replace it.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 02:40 AM
Joined Feb 2010
187 Posts
Quote:
Well it seems it is fried. The motor doesn't spin at all and it looks difficult to replace because of the way everything is routed. At the low price point of these it is easier to just salvage the blades and replace it.
What is fried ??motor or receiver board??
As I said earlier,you need to disassemble some parts &components before pull the motor out.
Last edited by ndp62; Jan 28, 2011 at 02:49 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:19 AM
Joined Jan 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndp62 View Post
What is fried ??motor or receiver board??
As I said earlier,you need to disassemble some parts &components before pull the motor out.
Seems the motor, but with this one I had to disassemble nearly everything to get to it. Based on how this board is set up, I doubt I could solder it and reassemble it to flying condition. It was bought in China for about $15 and is easier to just replace (since I know people that to go to China frequently).
Old Jan 28, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joined Feb 2010
187 Posts
Quote:
Seems the motor, but with this one I had to disassemble nearly everything to get to it. Based on how this board is set up, I doubt I could solder it and reassemble it to flying condition. It was bought in China for about $15 and is easier to just replace (since I know people that to go to China frequently).
That 's right,I have replaced easily both two main motors for my helicopter,of course I had to disassemble both inner,outer shafts and blades,landing skid ,aluminium places screwed to the main frame to secure the motor.. etc.
So If yours case happens to me I can fix it easily
If you can draw the wiring scheme of PCB (+/-Bat,+/- leds,two main motors and tail motor)so you can resolder it in right order easily,because you only need to replace lower motor.
Good luck