SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:42 AM
planepainter
Mt. Juliet, TN
Joined Sep 2008
2,004 Posts
Paul, mine flew better when I added sheeting to the tips and twisted in a bit of washout. I used straight sticks like pieces of balsa or long wood dowels taped to the underside of the wings to gauge that the washout was the same on both wings. I think there might be an explanation of how that works on this forum somewhere.

PP
planepainter is offline Find More Posts by planepainter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:53 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
......Just curious, Does anyone think that the Spirit can be made to turn a little nicer, smoother, with less tip stall, etc by reducing the uplift angle of the the outboard sections of the wing(in addition to sheeting the forward sections of the tops of the wing LE-to-Spar in the outboard sections, and in addition to making the Vertstab/rudder larger)?

Inquiring minds want to know, Thanks - Paul
The Spirit can be made into quite the performer with a little work Here's the build on mine and a couple of vids. After a couple of seasons it is still my favorite sailplane.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877892

Spirit 2M Upstart Launch (0 min 38 sec)

Spirit 2M Upstart Launch 2 (0 min 39 sec)
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:08 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
932 Posts
The Proof is in the Pudding......

Jwhitacre-Thanks for the videos, I don't know what the thermal (or lack thereof) situation was that day launching with a not-too-powerful GP Upstart(I have one), but that plane of yours looks like it handles just fine to me. I like the wingtip mods, I've seen that before somewhere here on RCgroups, likely your plane(?).

Thanks - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Jan 29, 2011, 07:43 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauliwog View Post
Jwhitacre-Thanks for the videos, I don't know what the thermal (or lack thereof) situation was that day launching with a not-too-powerful GP Upstart(I have one), but that plane of yours looks like it handles just fine to me. I like the wingtip mods, I've seen that before somewhere here on RCgroups, likely your plane(?).

Thanks - Paul
Yeah that upstart used in the vids was very anemic. On a good day I could get about 100' launch on it Needless to say it was replaced with a heavy duty hi start I've come across a few other sailplanes on here with winglets also. I'm not convinced that they benefit in any way but they sure look cool
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:45 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,451 Posts
I built a Riser 2M a few years ago and it is still going strong. I built mine per the plans, but I did add spoilers and added a little carbon to the center wing joint. I think it flys nicely, and with an all up weight of 25 oz, it should. I learned to fly on this plane and it has withstood cartwheel landings and the zoom learning curve without incident. As to ugly, you be the judge but remember we're talking about the plane not the guy holding it .

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Feb 02, 2011, 09:24 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
932 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and info...

Wayne - Thanks for the pictures! That's a pretty cool plane for sure, I don't get the "ugly" part at all, I always thought that plane looked really cool and classic and unique with it's Mustang P-51-ish looking Rudder/elevator that goes well with the wing shape. If I get one, I'll probably do some fusalage modifications to keep the Horiz stab out of the grass on landings.

Thanks - Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog