HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2003, 01:53 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Using Video studio 7 file size adjust...

I am trying to figure out how to render the video out put to a web managable file size. Can anyone tell me the secret using Video Studio 7?

Thanks
Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2003, 02:06 AM
Chemically Corrected
San Diego, Ca
Joined Apr 2001
682 Posts
It all depends on how big you want to make the file. Click on "Make Movie" then click on "settings" and you will have a choice of make Mpeg, or Windows media file, as well as others. Try a few options, until you get the balance of file size and resolution you can live with. It all depends on the user bandwidth you are shooting for to make them happy with the DL.
Grapeape is offline Find More Posts by Grapeape
Last edited by Grapeape; Jul 30, 2003 at 02:10 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 09:10 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Grapeape
It all depends on how big you want to make the file. Click on "Make Movie" then click on "settings" and you will have a choice of make Mpeg, or Windows media file, as well as others. Try a few options, until you get the balance of file size and resolution you can live with. It all depends on the user bandwidth you are shooting for to make them happy with the DL.
I just got VS 7 and find the manual confusing because of the lack of detail on all the parameters and what they mean. Kirby and I would like to make videos.

Our target audience are Ezone users. I think alot of them have broadband access so putting up a file up to 20megs in size is reasonable. Others have dialup so we would like to be able to accomodate them also.

Last night was my first attempt. I have a 5min clip. I used the DV capture option of DV-2 and I ended up with a 495meg avi file.

So I tried rendering this file using Mpeg 1 and 2, WMV, and Quicktime.

The smallest I could get a Mpeg 1 or 2 down to was 45m and it was so severly compressed that it wasn't worth it.

WMV settings where confusing. I couldn't figure out which WMV rendering option to choose.

I had the best success with Quicktime. I was able to render it to 16megs at a screen size of something like 200x190, 70% compression, 24fps. It seemed a good compromise between quality and size. Even when you double the screen size in the QT Player it looked good.

So far this has been trial and error for me which is OK but there must be someone who can give us the parameters that will meet our needs for a broadband user and dialup user. No need for me to invent the wheel when I know there are a lot of people putting video on the web. The videos at www.rccraze.com are examples of what I would like to work to at least in file size and quality.

There are so many parameters in this program that are not discussed by the manual. Options in dialog boxes are ghosted out that look like they would be something I could use, wierd framerates in Mpeg; what is the difference between 24 fps and 23.98 fps for example.

I realize that VS7 is not the end all of video editing but I'm trying to do this on the cheap until I can afford and figure out what new computer to do this stuff on.

Thanks

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 30, 2003, 09:37 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,901 Posts
For MPG only - I've used TMPGEnc in the past, free and very configurable (frame size, bitrate, FPS, etc). If you want to do MPG2 (for DVD) then you'll have to register and pay for it.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:29 AM
Involuntary Beta Tester
Joined Jan 2002
8,288 Posts
So I just use VS 7 to capture in the raw avi format. Edit it if I want then use TMPGENc to render it?

What settings whould you recommend?

Thanks

Kelvin
kelvin is offline Find More Posts by kelvin
Old Jul 31, 2003, 02:32 AM
I'm Ginger & called Adam
Hereford, UK
Joined Oct 2002
2,901 Posts
TMPEnc has too many settings to cover here, but if you reduce the FPS, frame size and bitrate then you will get an acceptable video in a small file.

You need to make sure that the TMPEnc output video settings are for system MPG and not VCD, otherwise you'll always get the VCD rate (something like 1.1Kbps) resulting in large files.

As an example, see http://adam.buckers.users.btopenworld.com/TwinStar.mpg

This was cut down from a 15Mb AVI file.

Any more questions, probably best to PM me.

Adam
Ginger Adam is offline Find More Posts by Ginger Adam