HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:10 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
566 Posts
The plane is right at 9:1 scale. If the pilot was 5'9' and you used a 10:1 scale pilot he would have been 5'2". With an 8:1 he would have been 6'5" or so. Of course this might be academic as the cockpit might not be exactly as it should be.
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradjanin View Post

does someone know max dimmension of pilots?
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,265 Posts
Two flights this afternoon and no nose brakes

I didn't use flaps this time and the crosswind was pretty mild. Amazing Orlando weather
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Last edited by voxel; Mar 17, 2013 at 01:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:40 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,963 Posts
EASY Weathering trick!!

Like the method I used on mine, charcoal stick and a finger, my brother suggested an even better way. For those of you like me who are too lazy to use an airbrush and deal with cleaning it just for some light weathering, use the charcoal stick and a rag or Q-tip.

Make your line, then smear it with either a rag, or for thinner lines a Q-tip makes it look much better than using your finger.

Important Note: Make sure to hit it with some clear coat flat matte acrylic spray after you're done. This will prevent the charcoal from coming off on your fingers when handling the plane.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:24 AM
Just throw it up!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2011
1,181 Posts
Thanks a lot for the positive reinforcement guys. Seems karma for dissing on the Hurricane and the retracts has bitten as I just ruptured a disc in my back and am flat on my back. I have fixed the wheels touching each other while retracted with the good advice of some of you. I will pull the retract apart and see if I can fix it once my back is better as I am determined to get this wonderful looking warbird in the air. Cheers MP.
Merlin Power is online now Find More Posts by Merlin Power
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
893 Posts
Merlin-sorry about ur back. I know how that is.
5 flights yesterday. 1st and 5th flights were not that great. I believe it's because my mother-in-law and wife were there watching. 2,3,&4 were great. Only problem in all of them was the left landing gear not retracting all the way.
Loukhan is offline Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:22 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittSpecial View Post
Which HK Retracts did you use?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=22068

@ $19.99 a pair they are worth a try. They mate perfectly in the mounting bay and a pair of Great Planes axles finished it off. Like everyone has mentioned with their chosen retract, they needed some tweaking but otherwise I believe they'll be okay. Weakest link will likely be the metal set screws threaded into plastic to the hold the wire leg in place.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hanger...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 12:44 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin Power View Post
Thanks a lot for the positive reinforcement guys. Seems karma for dissing on the Hurricane and the retracts has bitten as I just ruptured a disc in my back and am flat on my back. I have fixed the wheels touching each other while retracted with the good advice of some of you. I will pull the retract apart and see if I can fix it once my back is better as I am determined to get this wonderful looking warbird in the air. Cheers MP.
Another of us pilots with back issues! Recovering from back surgery myself. Laminotomy performed on 2/27. My sympathies to you. I fully understand back issues. Been suffering for over 18 years with this. Finally couldnt take the pain anymore. If you havent guessed im kinda chicken of Dr's. but when it got to the point that I needed help to tie my shoes that was it for me. Heres hope for a speedy recovery
Rangie5169 is offline Find More Posts by Rangie5169
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:15 PM
Going Supersonic!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
726 Posts
Some sweet flying weather this weekend. I got 8 batteries through my Hurricane. I can not land with the flaps with out nosing over. When I don't use flaps she lands hot but no nose overs.

merlin and rangie, hope you guys get well soon
Helldiver is offline Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 03:43 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldiver View Post
Some sweet flying weather this weekend. I got 8 batteries through my Hurricane. I can not land with the flaps with out nosing over. When I don't use flaps she lands hot but no nose overs.

merlin and rangie, hope you guys get well soon
Hi Hd,

Might I suggest flipping your flaps back up as soon as you can after your wheels are stuck to the ground
.... works a treat for me.

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Mar 17, 2013, 05:01 PM
Going Supersonic!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
726 Posts
thanks Chaos I will try that next weekend
Helldiver is offline Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:53 PM
ARMY ATC (93C)
United States, TX, Grapevine
Joined Jan 2005
1,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=22068

@ $19.99 a pair they are worth a try. They mate perfectly in the mounting bay and a pair of Great Planes axles finished it off. Like everyone has mentioned with their chosen retract, they needed some tweaking but otherwise I believe they'll be okay. Weakest link will likely be the metal set screws threaded into plastic to the hold the wire leg in place.
I've been looking for an alternate to Eflites EFLG200, but these HK ones got really bad reviews, and one commenter noted HK yanked some bad reviews.
mjbennett9 is online now Find More Posts by mjbennett9
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbennett9 View Post
I've been looking for an alternate to Eflites EFLG200, but these HK ones got really bad reviews, and one commenter noted HK yanked some bad reviews.
Seems like everything on HK has some bad reviews but my experience has been pretty good. $160 vs $20 seemed like it was worth a try.
Wind stayed crazy around here this weekend...maybe the maiden later this week.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hanger...
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:24 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,075 Posts
160? Eflites are 90 bucks for the pair.
15/25 size not 25/46.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:55 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,963 Posts
My LHS dealer sold us ours at $75 a pair. And when you consider my P-47 has over 160 flights on it, not to mention all the times I've flipped the gear in the shop or doing touch and goes, without a single problem, I couldn't imagine trying a different brand retract.

Especially when the most common phrase I hear about HK retracts are "you have to buy 3 pair to get one that works!", you've already paid for E-Flite retracts at that point, so no money saved there.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:20 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
893 Posts
Forgot to add- I'm having trouble w/my rear wheel binding to one side. Anyone experience this. It's really strange, just started doing it this weekend.
Loukhan is offline Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet