SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:28 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Here's a picture of it on the table at the field yesterday with my Jug and F4U1A.

Where's your snow?!@!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:32 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
Where's your snow?!@!
We get snow here once every 6 or 7 years. Yesterday, it was around 65 degrees with no wind at all. It was perhaps one of the nicest flying days I've had in months.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:59 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
1,110 Posts
Edge- are you using the (manual) recommended high/low rates? If not what are you using?
Loukhan is offline Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Bargin?

Hi Chuck T,

I drove four hours round trip to a Local Hobby Shop and purchased a BNF and PNP Hurricane for $119 each. These were the last two that the hobby shop had and there will be no more. I think I have a real bargin her. I am still flying my first one that I paided $279 for last year it has 50++ flights and still looks good don't you think?

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:22 PM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Fly Guy View Post
Hi Chuck T,

I drove four hours round trip to a Local Hobby Shop and purchased a BNF and PNP Hurricane for $119 each. These were the last two that the hobby shop had and there will be no more. I think I have a real bargin her. I am still flying my first one that I paided $279 for last year it has 50++ flights and still looks good don't you think?

NFG
Still looks great!
GhostStone is offline Find More Posts by GhostStone
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:24 PM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
1,009 Posts
^ I like

for the price you got, I would have done the same thing. I bet the drive home was a happy one with two humungous boxes in the back.

...I was looking forward to flying tomorrow morning...alas work. I guess the flight delay will help me get my retracts.
Helldiver is offline Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Horizon Hobby Faze!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:30 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
great buy for sure, wish we could get them that cheap here, i'd buy a spare! Your original is still looking good too. I am still wondering if we are going to get another bird in this size, as i really like the 25e sized war planes

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:32 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
1,031 Posts
It works...

Dry-fit tested the radiator venturi concept...ran a tube through fuselage and wing into scoop. Blew out a match, held it about an inch above the tube and ran air through the scoop...sucked the smoke right out.

Also, added the Dubro Diamond Lite 2.5" wheels (retracts are still on a boat somewhere) and tried my hand at air brushing wear on the underside of the wings. Looking at some of the skill out there, I was very timid on my first attempt at airbrushing. What paint are you guys using? What ratio are you thinning it and with what? I watched some YouTube videos and mixed Testor's model paint ~ 4:1 with Windex. The exhaust stream on the fuselage came out nice and the underside looks okay but it could use more.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined May 2011
621 Posts
Edge767 - you fly @ SPARKS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Here's a picture of it on the table at the field yesterday with my Jug and F4U1A.

Reef_rc is offline Find More Posts by Reef_rc
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:44 PM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
great buy for sure, wish we could get them that cheap here, i'd buy a spare! Your original is still looking good too. I am still wondering if we are going to get another bird in this size, as i really like the 25e sized war planes

cheers chuck
Chuck, I have watched your videos a number of times. They have proven to be very helpful to me, Thank you. A question I have, are you still using DuBro Diamond lite 2.75 wheels on you Hurricane? Any problems or anything you would do different?
GhostStone is offline Find More Posts by GhostStone
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:55 PM
Huntington Beach CA
Joined Jan 2008
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
Dry-fit tested the radiator venturi concept...ran a tube through fuselage and wing into scoop. Blew out a match, held it about an inch above the tube and ran air through the scoop...sucked the smoke right out.

Also, added the Dubro Diamond Lite 2.5" wheels (retracts are still on a boat somewhere) and tried my hand at air brushing wear on the underside of the wings. Looking at some of the skill out there, I was very timid on my first attempt at airbrushing. What paint are you guys using? What ratio are you thinning it and with what? I watched some YouTube videos and mixed Testor's model paint ~ 4:1 with Windex. The exhaust stream on the fuselage came out nice and the underside looks okay but it could use more.
Looks good and sounds like it is functional. So did you cut the radiator piece in half and put it back together to get the internal design correct?
socalsteve is offline Find More Posts by socalsteve
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:00 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStone View Post
Chuck, I have watched your videos a number of times. They have proven to be very helpful to me, Thank you. A question I have, are you still using DuBro Diamond lite 2.75 wheels on you Hurricane? Any problems or anything you would do different?
thanks GS! and to your question yes mine is still as i built it. I have had to wire the wheel doors to the struts as well as silicon, as on the rougher strips i have to land on they kept coming off, no problems since though i lost my aerial too so made a balsa one and put wire from it to the tail. Apart from that still as it was from the first build. I will add my E-flite retracts have a lot of play around the top plastic part where the strut goes into the main box, again from the rough fields.

it does fly so nice for a war bird and on 3s so i am happy just flying it stock, if i want to go faster i have other planes to do that

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:05 AM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
1,031 Posts
Thanks, SoCal. No, I used a Dremel to create the forward and aft funnels, then a drill bit to connect the two. There are some photos of the Dremel work earlier in this thread. The shape and size are a wild @$$ guess. Bottom line, I'll have airflow without having to add holes to the fuselage.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:22 AM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukhan View Post
Edge- are you using the (manual) recommended high/low rates? If not what are you using?
I am using the high rates. I added some expo for the elevator and ailerons to tame things a bit while landing and now that I'm used to it, it works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef_rc View Post
Edge767 - you fly @ SPARKS?
Sure do! You may know me as the Club Secretary, Chief Instructor, and Historian.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:33 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post

I added vents on mine too.
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member