SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:52 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
Thanks for the compliments!
Green- has no effect that I could tell. The dash, seat, and amour behind the seat are just thin foam. The dials are from a magazine on the hurri. Just cut and superglued.
Hotplate- sorry about your bird, but glad to know she can take the abuse. I think Sammy has the ticket.
Helldiver- I get twitchy too but not as much as before. My Stuka really had me on edge till I got the spitfire- then it seemed like a fat hog.
Spyro- sorry to hear about getting juiced on the $. I fear we'll see more of the same as they become scarcer. I'm really debating about keeping my second (still in unopened box). The store said they'd take it back at the price I payed ($175- day before close out notice)-would make my retracts free then)),
Cost analysis- replacement fuse-$60, wings-$60, not to mention all the rest- I added it up once and it would be around $600 for every part if bought direct from HH. it doesn't add up to take it back but 1)I have limited space, 2)wife not happy w/planes everywhere..........the dilemma! If she kicks me out, I can fly ALL the time! Lol
PS- I'm thinking of putting the identification lights on the bottom. I'm just waiting to hear back from RAF museum for right colors.
Loukhan is offline Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:23 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
Ment to ask- anyone have clear pics of all the little nomenclature on the plane ie: no step, coolant, etc?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:25 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro37 View Post
Hi Guys, my first post here... (CG check pls.)
I just got one of the BNF from RPP.
They (RPP) bought a whole bunch of them and were selling them for $149.99 rather than $129 closed-out price. I waited to find other vendors selling them for $129, but no luck. So I have to go back to RPP 3 days later, but they jacked up the price to $169 this time I really like this bird, So I ended up paying $210 incldg. tax n S/H. They are the only ones that I know that still has them. The store may still have 2-3 left at this time, then, THERE WILL BE NO MORE HURRICANE this exact one one. http://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hawker

TWO QUESTIONS:
- I just want to make sure about the CG. I believe the manual is wrong.
There was an ammendment regarding the correct CG on HH's Hawker's main page, but that is now gone too.
Is the correct CG at the "square" marks on the main wings? I pushed the stock lipo, & it's dead on those spots/squares.

- Full flaps down should be OK?, quite a lot just like the full scale. I just want to make sure that it's OK.

Maiden in 2 days...
Thanks,
Spyo
Hey Spyro!
I've CG'd 5 of these Hurricanes (and built 4 of them), all on the square panels. Three of them have actually flown so far (perfectly with only about 2 clicks of down trim), the other two are still awaiting maidens. Full flaps is sweet on this bird!! Does not balloon like the PZ P-47, of course I usually drop full flaps while I'm in a 20-30 degree nose down pitch, so ballooning has no effect.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:27 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,212 Posts
Loukhan,
What did you use to paint the exhaust stacks? Your bird looks Super Awesome!!!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
Moon- thanks! I used modelmasters burnt umber, exhaust, a little silver, and a touch of rust.
I'm thinking of flattening the tips (as in some pictures) but have to do more research on ones used in the Battle of Britain. Gotta keep it somewhat accurate for going against my Stuka.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:15 AM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukhan View Post
Here's my open cockpit.
Super awesome and inspiring!
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:16 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Hey Spyro!
I've CG'd 5 of these Hurricanes (and built 4 of them), all on the square panels. Three of them have actually flown so far (perfectly with only about 2 clicks of down trim), the other two are still awaiting maidens. Full flaps is sweet on this bird!! Does not balloon like the PZ P-47, of course I usually drop full flaps while I'm in a 20-30 degree nose down pitch, so ballooning has no effect.
Many thanks for confirming.

- spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:35 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
Spyro-moons right (not that there was a doubt! No offense Moon!), she won't balloon on you, she will slow down on you though. be ready with the throttle. I've gotten her a bit TOO slow, watch for a wing drop=stall or wings rock side to side=she's about to stall. You'll notice the warning! She'll come out easy w/a little juice.
I've been dropping to 1/2 throt on my down wind (gear down at 45* to runway). 1/4 throt after turn to base leg and add 1/2 flaps. On final, I kick in full flaps and drop the throt a couple notches (DX8 w/ratchet tension bar). If I'm too far out or dropping too quick, I pulse the throt a bit, just a couple clicks Seems to do the trick for me.
If I'm off on my technique, someone please advise me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:52 AM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Spyro-moons right (not that there was a doubt! No offense Moon!), she won't balloon on you, she will slow down on you though. be ready with the throttle. I've gotten her a bit TOO slow, watch for a wing drop=stall or wings rock side to side=she's about to stall. You'll notice the warning! She'll come out easy w/a little juice.
I've been dropping to 1/2 throt on my down wind (gear down at 45* to runway). 1/4 throt after turn to base leg and add 1/2 flaps. On final, I kick in full flaps and drop the throt a couple notches (DX8 w/ratchet tension bar). If I'm too far out or dropping too quick, I pulse the throt a bit, just a couple clicks Seems to do the trick for me.
If I'm off on my technique, someone please advise me.
Thanks for the advise.
I'll keep that in mind...
- Spyro
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Aug 2012
435 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the compliments!
Green- has no effect that I could tell. The dash, seat, and amour behind the seat are just thin foam. The dials are from a magazine on the hurri. Just cut and superglued.
Hotplate- sorry about your bird, but glad to know she can take the abuse. I think Sammy has the ticket.
Helldiver- I get twitchy too but not as much as before. My Stuka really had me on edge till I got the spitfire- then it seemed like a fat hog.
Spyro- sorry to hear about getting juiced on the $. I fear we'll see more of the same as they become scarcer. I'm really debating about keeping my second (still in unopened box). The store said they'd take it back at the price I payed ($175- day before close out notice)-would make my retracts free then)),
Cost analysis- replacement fuse-$60, wings-$60, not to mention all the rest- I added it up once and it would be around $600 for every part if bought direct from HH. it doesn't add up to take it back but 1)I have limited space, 2)wife not happy w/planes everywhere..........the dilemma! If she kicks me out, I can fly ALL the time! Lol
PS- I'm thinking of putting the identification lights on the bottom. I'm just waiting to hear back from RAF museum for right colors.
I notice in your picture you are using 2.5" dubro diamond lites - do you notice any issues using the smaller tire on grass?

Also as a heads up, I spoke to Horizon last week and asked specifically about parts supply. The customer service rep told me they plan to have a supply of parts for customers for 12-18 months beyond end of product life. So any LHS that orders from Horizon should be able to get any part you require as needed, so no need to stockpile spares.

I'm also in the same dilemma with a second BNF still in the box, however my rationale is to learn to fly the beast on the first plane, fly it as long as possible and either use it for parts once I've destroyed it, or put it into active reserve with my son
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:36 AM
Tennessee
Joined Apr 2009
5,592 Posts
Loukhan that looks fantastic! I have to ask though, where is the 3 blader to finish it off?

Alan
GiusedtoBe is offline Find More Posts by GiusedtoBe
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Apr 2012
1,107 Posts
Giusedtobe-I'm looking into that as well. I think the 2 blade was what was on them in the summer of 1940 (BOB). What was on them at that time is what I'm going for. I've seen some good reports about the BF109 prop working.
Green- I haven't tried them on grass. I'm flying off of dirt runways. Thanks for the parts info, adds a bit of peace of mind.
I just wanted to note how cool I think it is that HH made the motor mount a whole insert in the nose. All the planes I've had had a plastic motor mount plate sandwiched in the fuse. On any kind of impact they get loose due to foam flex/distortion. Even w/out any thing hitting the nose, I had a mount get loose just from the pull/torque of the motor. Doing it this was should hold up much longer. Great idea HH!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:14 AM
Oklahoma City
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Oct 2012
82 Posts
Well......just now bought the next to last BNF Hurricane from RPP Hobby. They have ONE left. Said they never stocked the PNP version. Will be here in about a week .HURAAY ! ! Many thanks for the tip SPYRO. Presently building up my PNP version..........but this will give me a..........SPARE ! !
Nervouswreck is offline Find More Posts by Nervouswreck
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:42 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,448 Posts
Quote:
Giusedtobe-I'm looking into that as well. I think the 2 blade was what was on them in the summer of 1940 (BOB). What was on them at that time is what I'm going for. I've seen some good reports about the BF109 prop working.
Green- I haven't tried them on grass. I'm flying off of dirt runways. Thanks for the parts info, adds a bit of peace of mind.
I just wanted to note how cool I think it is that HH made the motor mount a whole insert in the nose. All the planes I've had had a plastic motor mount plate sandwiched in the fuse. On any kind of impact they get loose due to foam flex/distortion. Even w/out any thing hitting the nose, I had a mount get loose just from the pull/torque of the motor. Doing it this was should hold up much longer. Great idea HH!
Actually the 2 blade prop was pretty much extinct before the "phoney war" started in the spring of 1940. This particular aircraft JX-B actually sported a spitfire prop and spinner (spinner was slightly oversize for a hurricane) as the 2 speed Dehavilland 3 blade prop that was more common on BoB aircraft was not available.

Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:59 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_MACHINE View Post
Also as a heads up, I spoke to Horizon last week and asked specifically about parts supply. The customer service rep told me they plan to have a supply of parts for customers for 12-18 months beyond end of product life. So any LHS that orders from Horizon should be able to get any part you require as needed, so no need to stockpile spares.
I would read that more like they expect their current supply to last 12-18 months. But if they run out of anything then tough luck.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver