HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:59 PM
I Fly!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jan 2011
1,310 Posts
Maiden flight went sort of well. It took off nice and needed almost no trim adjustment to fly straight and level. I was enjoying her but we had very little wind and a couple of times she twitched on her roll axis. Seemed strange so I keep the flight short at about 5 minutes and brought her in with little drama. I checked the battery and charged it back up.

We had a lot to fly at the club so it was about an hour till I started getting her ready. There was something weird with the power up. I turned on the TX and then plugged in the battery, got the beeps but the RX would not turn on. The switch had no effect in either position so I had our resident electric expert trouble shoot it. He initial thought the switch was bad so we removed it but it was still inconsistent to power up the RX. He noticed with some thumping of the ESP that it would cut in and out. So I was lucky to have the one flight and will be calling HH for a replacement on Monday.
jrtubb is online now Find More Posts by jrtubb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Eflite Carbon Cub!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,749 Posts
Beautiful job Derik glad you had a good maiden too
TLMARK is offline Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:28 PM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,016 Posts
Hi Guys,
Earlier I mentioned that I was having problems with my retracts. I called my RcGroup friend, PPMartin, who often posts on here and he mentioned that there might be a glop or two of white rubber glue in the bottom of the retract pockets in the wing that could be preventing the retracts from setting down properly. Well, duh, why didn't I notice that? After removing the large glops of glue, my retracts settled in nicely and believe it or not, they work properly and my stock wheels barely touch. The mounds of glue happened to be in the back of the pockets, so they were causing my gear to angle forwards, causing the wheels to bind on the front of the wheel wells.

So, before you drop your retracts into their respective pockets, check for excess glue.

Thanks Paul,
Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Last edited by mondo1948; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:15 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
Hi Guys,
Earlier I mentioned that I was having problems with my retracts. I called my RcGroup friend, PPMartin, who often posts on here and he mentioned that there might be a glop or two of white rubber glue in the bottom of the retract pockets in the wing that could be preventing the retracts from setting down properly. Well, duh, why didn't I notice that? After removing the large glops of glue, my retracts settled in nicely and believe it or not, they work properly and my stock wheels barely touch. The mounds of glue happened to be in the back of the pockets, so they were causing my gear to angle forwards, causing the wheels to bind on the front of the wheel wells.

So, before you drop your retracts into their respective pockets, check for excess glue.

Thanks Paul,
Mondo
Glad it is all working. You will enjoy flying it when you get rid of a couple of feet of your snow. I will be flying mine in he morning and expect it to be in the upper 60's when I arrive at the field a little after 7 AM. The weather here on the Treasure Coast has been great since the first of the year. I have missed flying very few days. My newest project is the Parkzone VisionAire which is totally awesome. Haven't had more fun in an age!
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin View Post
Glad it is all working. You will enjoy flying it when you get rid of a couple of feet of your snow. I will be flying mine in he morning and expect it to be in the upper 60's when I arrive at the field a little after 7 AM. The weather here on the Treasure Coast has been great since the first of the year. I have missed flying very few days. My newest project is the Parkzone VisionAire which is totally awesome. Haven't had more fun in an age!
You're a lucky man. The wind in VA has been over 10mph for almost a month. I haven't flown in a long time.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:20 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
1,088 Posts
Well I got in 3 batts today. Didn't chance a 4th.
Weather was in the 50s(F), overcast, winds:4-8mph changing S then SE then E (worst cross winds I've delt with yet (our runway is E-W). I had a real hard time crabbing her in. Roughed up a wing tip on my second to last landing.
Checked my ESC after each flight-89F was the hottest (8.5 min and heavy handed on the throt). I guess the vent mods-exhaust stack, under batt, and plugged up back side of radiator scoop worked. I just need to test in warmer/less windy weather. Fortunately most of the weather here in San Diego, CA, is pretty nice. (Sorry, not trying to rub it in)
Loukhan is online now Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
1,088 Posts
Here's my open cockpit.
Loukhan is online now Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
It's watts for dinner
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Oct 2011
954 Posts
Looks great, Loukhan. I wish I had the time to spend more time detailing and customizing... usually I'm just in a rush to get a new plane flying.
sjw985 is offline Find More Posts by sjw985
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:12 PM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukhan View Post
Here's my open cockpit.
Wow! That is awesome.
GhostStone is online now Find More Posts by GhostStone
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:26 PM
Joined Aug 2012
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukhan View Post
Here's my open cockpit.
Looks Awesome, I was going to do this but was wondering if it would have any adverse effects in flight. What has been your experience with that?
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:28 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
Maidened mine today. I set the plane up thanks to the advice of many here. I choose to let a more experienced pilot dial it in. Winds were pretty stiff 8 to 9 with some pretty strong gusts. Watching him landing it ina varible stiff wind. Made me cringe a bit. Rolled out nice though.
Second flight, he took it off, turned the radio over to me. This plane really presents nice in the air. I flew it almost 5 mins (seems to be the most I can fly on a stock battery). Gave the radio back for him to land. Just too much wind for me.
Third flight, he took it off. Flew it for a few. Handed it to me. I flew it for a few laps around the airfield. Step father came up to the line and asked to give it a shot. We both mentioned looking out for the strong wind at the end of the field. When banked with a strong gust hitting the underside. The Hurricane would turn sharp and dip a bit.
It dipped on him and he flew it straight into a tree top and wedged it (TIGHT) between three branches at 3/4 throttle. 30 feet high. "stuff" happens! Fortunately one of the local flyers climbed the tree and lowered it down with some string.
This is one tough bird. It ripped the two front screws loose which retains the wing. Other than a few small twig punches and light dents/scrapes. I'll have it up and running next weekend. Except this time I won't have to worry about scratching it up. Hopefully the wind won't be so nasty.
Any suggestions for filling holes?
Hotplate2 is offline Find More Posts by Hotplate2
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:34 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotplate2 View Post
Any suggestions for filling holes?

White Gorilla glue or Light Weight Spackle...
Sammy70 is online now Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:48 PM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
999 Posts
wow hot happy you got her down. I got 2 batteries in today, I didn't have the nerves for the third. I had the case of the shakes again today, just like the maiden which really messed up my flying. I don't know what I am scared of. She flies great, fast and bada$$!

I can't wait for next weekend! Hopefully the Rosebowl and the weather cooperates.
Helldiver is offline Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Jan 2013
27 Posts
I was landing my new PZ Mustang. About a foot off of the ground I cut the throttle, gave a it little up elevator to set it down nicely. The wind gust caught it, stood it straight up and over. No damage. At least I did get the Apprentice down twice without incident.
Does anyone believe parts will be available for these Hurricanes in the near future?
Hotplate2 is offline Find More Posts by Hotplate2
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:09 PM
WIFE HAND LAUNCHED MY PLANES!
Joined Jun 2009
2,201 Posts
Hi Guys, my first post here... (CG check pls.)
I just got one of the BNF from RPP.
They (RPP) bought a whole bunch of them and were selling them for $149.99 rather than $129 closed-out price. I waited to find other vendors selling them for $129, but no luck. So I have to go back to RPP 3 days later, but they jacked up the price to $169 this time I really like this bird, So I ended up paying $210 incldg. tax n S/H. They are the only ones that I know that still has them. The store may still have 2-3 left at this time, then, THERE WILL BE NO MORE HURRICANE this exact one one. http://www.rpphobby.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=hawker

TWO QUESTIONS:
- I just want to make sure about the CG. I believe the manual is wrong.
There was an ammendment regarding the correct CG on HH's Hawker's main page, but that is now gone too.
Is the correct CG at the "square" marks on the main wings? I pushed the stock lipo, & it's dead on those spots/squares.

- Full flaps down should be OK?, quite a lot just like the full scale. I just want to make sure that it's OK.

Maiden in 2 days...
Thanks,
Spyo
Spyro37 is offline Find More Posts by Spyro37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 130X Build