United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,886 Posts
I was later and those were better
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:02 PM
Joined May 2009
338 Posts
I picked one of these up on the closeout sale and really like it. The model looks beautiful. I maidened mine today and it was a little hair raising. My model had a bit of a warp in the foam wing and it kicked left a little harder than I was expecting. Once trimmed out it flew exceptionally well. Very stable, flies great at 60% throttle, and the landing approach with half flaps was very easy. The flaps really slow this bird down to a walk and so even on short approaches it's easy to keep 25%-30% throttle active and gently bring her in. On my first attempt I messed up and stalled just above the runway because I'm used to my other planes needing a lot more room to slow down. No harm done and I'm looking forward to getting her in the air again.

Between the looks, the easy flight characteristics, the very effective flaps, the electric retracts, and the size which is big enough to be stable and visible but small enough to just toss in my hatchback without detaching the wing, this is a winner.
philipm785 is offline Find More Posts by philipm785
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:50 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,140 Posts
Finished plane and great day of flying!

Today was great! At least for me anyway. My decals showed up just before heading out to the field, so I was able to fly her as a completed historical looking warbird, (although it already comes that way). Callie did a superb job once again!

My brother did not get to maiden his as we hoped. He had a rough start to his day, then got caught in bad traffic on the way. So he just hung out at my house til I got back. My friend Jon got to test the repair job on his, which went well. A week ago he was flying on a cheap Power Edge lipo from Hobbytown and it crapped out after only 3 minutes. The plane went down in some woods, but the only damamge was the right main wing had 2 bad breaks which we easily repaired. His test flight went great, and he did 2 more after that. We checked that lipo and it had 2 bad cells, so he'll have to take that up with the Power Edge manufacturer.

Mine flew great and I got in 4 flights, plus some flights on a couple other birds I brought. There were at least 3 other Hurricanes besides our 2, but two of them had already packed up by the time we got there. So we flew with the one remaining who was using a 3000 4S lipo with a 70amp ESC (he'll be upping to a 80amp ESC soon). His was much faster on 4S and an 11x7 APC. He was also using Dynam retracts ($20 for the pair), which worked great.

I'm absolutely loving this Hurricane!!
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:56 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
Canada, ON
Joined Oct 2010
1,105 Posts
Beamer, she's a Beauty !!!
��
RF
Red Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Red Flyer
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:09 AM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Moonbeam- that bird is beautiful!

Half tempted to do a Lance Wade tribute on my Spare Hurri (or windrider Mk II)
Blizny is offline Find More Posts by Blizny
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:15 AM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostStone View Post
Thanks Moonbeam. Have you guys started Rhino 5's repaint yet? Yours is looking really good. Can't wait to see them finished.
Not yet. Rhino5 still needs to maiden his. But I think he's going to love flying this plane more than his PZ P-47. So I'm hoping he can get at least 3 flights in before we paint it. He chose a really cool scheme (see pics below).

A couple of things from what I'm reading: (not trying to sound like an expert with only 8 flights on this thing, but all of my flights have gone very well).

Wheel collisions in the gear wells- Try using the stock E-Flite struts that come with the retracts. I do on my PZ P-47 and it's so much less of a headache, plus you can adjust the toe-in/toe-out very easily.

For nose overs- I noticed this from my friend Jon's experience today. You HAVE to do "bump-throttling" when taxing or taking off on grass. You can't jam the throttle or ease it up. You have to treat it like you're "revving" an engine. It'll start rolling, then just work up the throttle a bit more. On landings I noticed Jon was coming in too hot. You HAVE to get the plane level right before touch down, and have full flaps to slow it. In fact I recommend you don't flare. Just get her level at 2ft. alt and let her sink on down with barely any throttle, if any at all once you're that low. She'll settle right on the mains, and let the tail come down naturally, don't force it or you'll balloon. She's a heavy bird compared to the average Parkzone style (smaller), warbird, and with the thick wingcord she's very docile and slows beautifully.

I'll try to get some video next time and specifically demonstrate what I'm talking about. The best way I can describe the handling of this bird is, if you've flown the Parkzone P-47, this thing is much easier.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:17 AM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Flyer View Post
Beamer, she's a Beauty !!!
��
RF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizny View Post
Moonbeam- that bird is beautiful!

Half tempted to do a Lance Wade tribute on my Spare Hurri (or windrider Mk II)
THANKS!!! Blizny, DO IT!! That'll be cool!! You need any help researching the paint scheme or anything? I LOVE doing that part of the repaint work. So much history to sponge!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:57 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
THANKS!!! Blizny, DO IT!! That'll be cool!! You need any help researching the paint scheme or anything? I LOVE doing that part of the repaint work. So much history to sponge!
Checked around. Shops who have Hurrie mods are marking them up.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:22 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
1,068 Posts
Rooster- cooper brick has it right, you just need to trim out the cover a bit. I hope you love it as much as most of us (hope I'm not offending by speaking for everyone).
Hell diver- that pic breaks my heart! Good to know you got her back in the air- that's where they want to be!
Turbines- the chatter from the servos is because they are digital-so I'm told.

Been sick for the last couple days but hope to get her up Sunday.gonna have a buddy follow in my dynam spitfire. Should be cool seeing the sisters up.
I don't know for sure how I did it but my last 2 landings were the best I've ever had on any plane, scale wise. I nosed over on my first 2 but then got the hang of her. When I figure out how, I'll pass on info. All I remember is cutting throttle on my approach and then just pulsing it till she was about 2-3' off the deck, then slowly dropped the throt till she settled onto the Tarmac w/a roll out of about 40'-50', I just didn't want to stop her. Tail settled down at about 20' and she just kept rolling. Absolutely beautiful! I probably came in hotter than nessasary but I figured it'd be better coming in too hot then stalling on final.
Loukhan is online now Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Loukhan; Feb 10, 2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:23 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
Hi Guys,
I am completing the "build" of my BNF Hurricane and just finished installing the retracts, using the Pre-Bent struts. With the stock wheels, I noticed that in the "UP" position, the wheels tend to touch each other and could cause them to bind. The only thing I can think of, rather than replacing the wheels like some guys have done, is to remove the struts from the retracts and file off just a little bit from the end....just so they are slightly shorter. It looks like I'd only have to take off a real small amount from each strut to prevent the wheels from touching.

I should mention that I put small washers on the back 2 screws of each retract which some guys mentioned to do, in order to "rake" the gear a little further forward. I tried removing the washers and the wheels bound up even more than before....so, that's not the problem.

Has anybody tried doing this and did the result cause any other problems?

Thanks,
Mondo
I did what someone else did here, I put a long bolt and securing nut through the wheels, put the end of the bolt in the electric drill and turned the diameter of the foam tyres down a bit with coarse sandpaper on a sanding block - worked a treat, now the wheels don't bind in the middle.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:30 AM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,933 Posts
Maidened mine this morning--3 great flights, off pavement. It made me wish I'd gotten one sooner! Quite a sight coming in slow to land, flaps and gear down, against the rising sun. Also, all the good reports of its flying characteristics were true.
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:45 AM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
I did what someone else did here, I put a long bolt and securing nut through the wheels, put the end of the bolt in the electric drill and turned the diameter of the foam tyres down a bit with coarse sandpaper on a sanding block - worked a treat, now the wheels don't bind in the middle.

Mike
Hi Mike,
I'm going to do what you suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:59 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
Hi Mike,
I'm going to do what you suggested.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

Mondo
No problem, I think if you grind some off the pre-bent legs, you will find the springs bind on the retract covers and then you have to work on the covers. Reducing the tyre size seemed the easiest option.
Like you, my gear doors bind in the wheel wells, so I am going to trim the doors and copy another good idea on here - cover them with litho plate that laps over the wheel wells slightly (just like the full size).

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:32 AM
Soli Deo Gloria
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2012
182 Posts
Moonbeam. Once again you have done a great job! She looks awesome. I'm really looking forward to your brothers repaint.
GhostStone is online now Find More Posts by GhostStone