HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:25 AM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
These are very different planes. The original Parkzone Corsair is very floaty and light in comparison to the E-Flite Hurricane. The weight difference makes for quite a different landing experience.

Practice power-on landings, flying the plane all the way to the ground with shallow approaches. Once you get to the Hurricane, you'll find that you need to carry power all the way until touchdown. While it's easy to deadstick the Corsair, the Hurricane is less forgiving.

Keep doing touch and go's with the Corsair. You want to get as much experience as you can before jumping into the Hurricane. It's a great flying plane, but the plane drops quickly without power.
Thanks! I am much more used to slow park flyers, micros and 3d planes so this is a little different.
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:41 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaridge View Post
I took thermal readings on the ESC this summer in VA with temps close to 90F ambient and I didn't get much more the 130-150F on the ESC. This will feel hot to the touch, but This is well within safe performance range, and I think thermal out is above 200F. I am always careful with ESC cooling as I run EDFs, and those things get hot ESCs! So I saw no reason to change the stock cooling.
This is exactly what I found with my Hurricane with the telemetry installed to read the temperature of my ESC. The highest recorded temperature was 135F with me running it hard.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:34 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
390 Posts
OK, ESC temperature comments noted! I will take an ir thermometer to the field and see what I get instead of using fingers to determine the temperature. I may look for some way to open the slot on both sides of the ESC.
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,523 Posts
Visited my LHS today - they told me they were taking a bath on the Hurricane. HH used to provide some kickbacks but now (at least this one) it's depends on what the dealer paid for it.

EDIT: At least they are making some money off parts. They ran out of props in a few days.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:17 PM
Just Plane Nuts
USA, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Dec 2008
390 Posts
My LHS said they were making $20 on each one, but they sold 100s so they made a few $..
Louierc is offline Find More Posts by Louierc
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:20 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,383 Posts
don't believe everything your LHS tells you
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:40 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,412 Posts
WOW! so many now flying this great war bird from E-flite it is still my favorite War Bird by far and personally i am still waiting for them to release the next in this size.

So Mr Horizon Hobby WHAT'S NEXT in this size war bird?

we have waited long enough

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:41 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
don't believe everything your LHS tells you
They weren't trying to sell me one... I was eavesdropping on their pricing discussion then asked about HH policies afterwards.

$20 per plane is kinda a joke. That's peanuts. That only works if you area volume dealer. No surprise hobby stores are often in cheap low-income areas where rent/land is nothing.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:52 PM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,015 Posts
Hi Guys,
As you know, when you slide the battery onto the plastic "tray" that's in the Hurricane's cockpit and try to tie it down with the velcro strap, the battery slides around.

Now, I know many guys attach velcro to their batteries and then put velcro in the battery tray, and that's fine. If it works for you, great. Please don't jump in here and once again tell everyone how the velcro works fine. We all know it works.

The main reason I stopped using the velcro method to secure batteries is because I use the same batteries in many, many different planes and the positioning of the velcro didn't work sometimes from plane to plane. In some planes, it was difficult to get the batteries out with the velcro method.

Instead, I cut a piece of this Non-Skid material that I have been using for 6 years in all my planes...the piece for the Hurricane is 3 1/2" long by 1 3/4" wide. I put a few drops of "Gorilla Glue" on the plastic tray here and there and then positioned this non-skid piece in place. Once the glue dried, I slid my battery in and tightened down the velcro strap....the battery will not move...it mushes down into the non-skid material and stays put. Make sure you position the non-skid material so that the "ridges" are facing up....they grab the battery.

Here's a link where to buy it. I have used my $5.00 piece of this stuff in over 15 planes and still have a lot left for the future.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...d-20-x-70.html

I hope this helps,
Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:54 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
WOW! so many now flying this great war bird from E-flite it is still my favorite War Bird by far and personally i am still waiting for them to release the next in this size.

So Mr Horizon Hobby WHAT'S NEXT in this size war bird?

we have waited long enough

cheers chuck
Chuck! This is my first time seeing an active post from ya in a thread I visit...you sir are my idol.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,386 Posts
In response to all the comments of LHS's profitability selling this plane~

I agree most all will make money, however there are circumstances where the LHS might take a loss on selling this plane.

For example, many of us hobbyists belong to loyalty clubs with different retailers. If you are part of a membership program, often times the retailer swallows the cost of shipping for its members. If retailers are having to pay for shipping, I can see how there might not be any profit in some of the sales.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:41 PM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
Hi Guys,
As you know, when you slide the battery onto the plastic "tray" that's in the Hurricane's cockpit and try to tie it down with the velcro strap, the battery slides around.

Now, I know many guys attach velcro to their batteries and then put velcro in the battery tray, and that's fine. If it works for you, great. Please don't jump in here and once again tell everyone how the velcro works fine. We all know it works.

The main reason I stopped using the velcro method to secure batteries is because I use the same batteries in many, many different planes and the positioning of the velcro didn't work sometimes from plane to plane. In some planes, it was difficult to get the batteries out with the velcro method.

Instead, I cut a piece of this Non-Skid material that I have been using for 6 years in all my planes...the piece for the Hurricane is 3 1/2" long by 1 3/4" wide. I put a few drops of "Gorilla Glue" on the plastic tray here and there and then positioned this non-skid piece in place. Once the glue dried, I slid my battery in and tightened down the velcro strap....the battery will not move...it mushes down into the non-skid material and stays put. Make sure you position the non-skid material so that the "ridges" are facing up....they grab the battery.

Here's a link where to buy it. I have used my $5.00 piece of this stuff in over 15 planes and still have a lot left for the future.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...d-20-x-70.html

I hope this helps,
Mondo
I read this tip elsewhere, and tried it for myself. Works great!
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:44 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
Chuck! This is my first time seeing an active post from ya in a thread I visit...you sir are my idol.

Coot
Thanks for the kind words and i do post in here just not regularly i think i started this thread a longggg time ago haha and hope my videos have helped a few get started on the build of this plane?

i know this plane is a real challenge to land and i give it 100% concentration when i fly. I have stopped flying the Hurricane out at my club because our runway is just too darn rough and has made my retracts a little lose around the part that holds them, but apart from that mine still flys great stock all i have ever broke is a prop again on one of "Those!" landing so it's good runways only for my Hurricane these days

Here is a couple of shots of my Hurricane taken a few minutes ago

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:08 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,386 Posts
looks sweet!

does anyone run shock absorbing struts with the e-flite retracts?
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bush Pilots- AK
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:10 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Went by a HobbyTown out of my normal area after a doctors appointment where they still had a BnF Hurricane in stock at the old $379 price. Talked to the manager, he called Horizon and I walked out with the BnF Hurricane for 129.....life is good!

That almost makes me a HobbyTown fan....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 05, 2013 at 07:37 PM.