SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:14 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
I thought it felt underpowered on 3s and the stock prop also. Now that my plane is built like a tank and sitting fat I'm going to need to prop up to make up the difference. Gonna stick with 3s simply because I have the batteries for it. Ubec and my cooling mods should hopefully lighten the load on the esc. :thumbup:
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:41 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I'd try a 12x10, or even a 12x12 if you can find one. I found a 12x8 to be pretty much about the same as the stock prop. Really at this size it should be 4s, I think HH just went the 3s route to make the batteries more affordable.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
I'd try a 12x10, or even a 12x12 if you can find one. I found a 12x8 to be pretty much about the same as the stock prop. Really at this size it should be 4s, I think HH just went the 3s route to make the batteries more affordable.
Yea I agree on the 4s.

I have a 12x8 and a 12x10 coming. Disappointing the 12x8 is same as stock. Ill stick the watt meter on it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:13 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,485 Posts
My name is Bradley Bauman, and I have a problem.

Recently, a close friend called me the "Cat Lady" of RC airplanes...
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:14 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post

Dont feel bad, my mom referenced me as that a month ago...its jealousy!

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:15 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,424 Posts
Quote:

Now THAT'S funny right there!
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:33 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:

:beer:
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:39 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,343 Posts
Quote:

Hilarious!
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:42 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,485 Posts
Yeah yeah... well if any of you all run into WebDr, tell him he is an assho

(I admit I did snarff pasta when I first read his post)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:10 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,064 Posts
Can the stock set-up of motor & ESC take a 4S battery?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:16 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,187 Posts
My cat calls me that because she can barely get to her litter box with all the planes in the shop!!

I will FINALLY get to maiden mine Tuesday morning at SMRCF, around 9:30am or 10am!!! Wooo Hooooo!!

All the flight controls are working and have recommended throws or 2mm less. The CG is spot on the panels with the battery full forward, and a WATTmeter check showed 50amps at 540watts WOT static. A high speed taxi test in the street seemed to show this bird has even better ground handling and take off roll than the Parkzone P-47. Will do a range check at the field and hopefully go for it!! Got 3 batts for the Hurricane (3300 40C 3S), and 5 2200 40C 3S to divide up between my Stryker Q and Slow Stick between Hurri flights. Two hours to kill should get everything accomplished.

Any tips or things I should know? Just to note, I do have 159 flights on the PZ P-47, so I'm used to take off/landing and ground handling a tail dragger warbird. I think all of the geared planes I've ever owned were tail draggers except one.

Oh yeah! How many of you are bringing your Hurricane to SEFF this year?
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:51 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Any tips or things I should know? Just to note, I do have 159 flights on the PZ P-47, so I'm used to take off/landing and ground handling a tail dragger warbird. I think all of the geared planes I've ever owned were tail draggers except one.
Hey buddy, I've got about the same number of flights on my P-47 and I've recently started flying this plane. Here are my impressions.

First things first; taxi. You've noticed it taxis nice. It does better on grass than the P-47 does. Takeoff is nice, although you still have to give it right rudder to counter the P-Factor. Once off the deck, clean up the plane (retract the gear) and you're going to love how solid this plane feels. It has very little dihedral and doesn't self-correct. Turns are pretty solid, and a bit of rudder will raise the tail through the turns. Rolls are nice, loops are solid, and the plane's 4.5 lbs weight really helps keep the speed up. Since it's a heavier plane, it does take a little longer to gain speed, but it definitely can get going fast!

Landing is the biggest difference. You can dirty up the P-47 with gear down and full flaps, idle the motor, and dead-stick it quite well. You'll find this much more difficult to do with the Hurricane, and I don't recommend it. This plane needs to be flown down to the ground. If you have CG set right and plane trimmed properly, it'll fly down just by pulling throttle back. Keep nose up to slow the plane and reduce throttle (or add as necessary) to maintain a nice, gentle glideslope. Once about 2-3" off the deck, throttle back but be very careful how much you pull back for flare (if any). Hopefully, you kept the speed slow and when it touches down, it'll allow you to pull back to pull the tail on the ground. Also, retract the flaps the moment the plane touches down. The plane should begin decelerating. Now, here's the crazy part; as with all foam planes in grass, add some throttle to allow for a taxi back to the ramp/pilot stations. This will keep the plane from nosing over. Now, I've not had any nose-over problems with mine, but I don't know how tall the grass is you're flying from.

I recommend doing lots and lots of touch and go's the first few batteries. The plane flies like a much heavier and more solid P-47. It's the landings that really are different, and require the most work to get a good, solid handle on.

I hope this helps. The preceding was based on my personal experiences with my Hurricane. It's a very nice flying plane but it requires more throttle management on landing than any other plane I currently fly.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Sep 2008
675 Posts
I've had a problem with nose over on landing on a grass field. Do flaps make that worse, then?
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:37 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,187 Posts
Whooo Hooo!!!!

Hey Edge,
Thank for the tips, although I'm just now reading them and already did 2 flights this morning. Only had a small window of time due to schedule and increasing winds that were gusting off & on. So just two, but I'm SUPER pleased!!!! Ground handling, take off, rolls & loops, and landing....... ALL are A+ with this bird! The ONLY thing it needs is some better cooling for the ESC. Which I can do running two small drinking straws (flex style), from the little inlet scoop up to the ESC. I did the same thing on another plane & it helped greatly.

So, flight review:
Ground handling- Nice turn radius, hardly any tail bounce.
Take off- I barely had to do any rudder input!! It was straight, smooth, and as soon as the tail came up she just floated right on up VERY scale like.
Power & Performance- VERY scale. Had enough power on take off to do a barrel roll on departure before turning crosswind in the pattern. Loops and rolls were smooth, clean, and again- SCALE looking. This ain't a vertical-pattern-3D ship. It's a WARBIRD, and it looks and flys exactly how a WARBIRD should. Sure maybe a little more power would be nice, but I have NO complaints what-so-ever.
Landing- I actually think it's very similar to the PZ P-47 for the most part. I usually have to come in a bit high at our club when I turn from base leg to final, because of a few small pinetrees. So I go 1/2 flaps in the base leg while dropping in the turn, then full flaps as I level the wings for final. All the while keeping the nose 10 degrees down. This keeps the speed but makes it easier to bleed off at the moment of flare so you don't "balloon". She settles down REAL nice and rolls to a fairly short stop.

In conclusion: I flew it just like my P-47, and found it handles smoother, more stable, and the take offs and landings were much easier. $140? Hell, I'd gladly pay $250 for one when you consider the comapny that backs it!! If HH were to simply drop the price to $250 BnF, they'd sell like hotcakes. In fact I DARE them to prove me wrong. WTG HH!!! A superb (yet discontinued), work of art!!!

One HAPPY customer!!

Now..... a paint job! Hehehehe
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Last edited by Moonbeam; Jan 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:47 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,485 Posts
Great Report

Well, I just left Atlanta Hobby and the numbers are in...
I was told all in, they sold 300 Hurricanes! HH might just have to rethink this decision.
RCG Plus Member