HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:40 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
753 Posts
The outer most part is not hinged (aerodynamic counter balance). Elevator is warped. Re-hinging along the foam hinge line would not bend the elevator back.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:45 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Picked up a BNF for $129 today!!! Been meaning to get another warbird since retiring my Seafury. Going to set it up for 2x 2200mah batteries and sell the stock one.
I may try that too
Might be difficult to find the CG, but that can be sorted out
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Boom Smoke!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:45 PM
mondo1948
Rocky Hill, Connecticut
Joined Dec 2007
1,017 Posts
Hi Guys,
I wondred if anybody has sprayed their Hurricane with Testor's "Dullcote". I've seen the E-Flite P-51B painted with Dullcote and it made the plastic skin on that plane look like real metal with a dull finish.

Thanks,
Mondo
mondo1948 is offline Find More Posts by mondo1948
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:47 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
The outer most part is not hinged (aerodynamic counter balance). Elevator is warped. Re-hinging along the foam hinge line would not bend the elevator back.
My Dynam Sbach had warped elevators (upwards). Saw another with a downward warp. Neither plane had any bad flying characteristics. You can always hair dryer it or hot water it.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:49 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbauman View Post
I may try that too
Might be difficult to find the CG, but that can be sorted out
I'll make it work! I have 16 2200mah lipos doing nothing. Besides, warbirds are supposed to be heavily loaded
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:43 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,091 Posts
Bsbauman and voxel, when you guys have your birds flying with 2x2200lipos could you post a pic of your layouts so that I can decide if I want to go that route as well? Thanks in advance! I'll be waiting!
nom is offline Find More Posts by nom
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:51 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,741 Posts
I will be on it this weekend likely... busy week ahead I will be sure to take a few pics though. I had considered 2650mAh as well, since I have a good number of them, but I like the 2x2200 approach.

For those looking for a great deal on another HH plane; Atlanta Hobby has a pallet of Scimitar PnP models marked down to $119!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:30 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
Are those also being discontinued? i can kind of see why, they're like a really intimidating, and expensive stryker.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:53 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,741 Posts
An expensive stryker with wheels, optional retracts, a Power 32 motor, 60amp switch ESC and thrust vectoring.

Nicer hardware than any foamie I have ever put together; head and shoulders above the rest. All quality, socket head screws. Fully bolt together assembly (no epoxy), this plane had a lot going for it.

They are being discontinued as well... cool plane too.
I was told there are no new thrust vectoring on HH's horizon

I think it was $279-299 for PnP when first released... this price is too good to miss IMO
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
Quote:
I will be on it this weekend likely... busy week ahead I will be sure to take a few pics though. I had considered 2650mAh as well, since I have a good number of them, but I like the 2x2200 approach.

For those looking for a great deal on another HH plane; Atlanta Hobby has a pallet of Scimitar PnP models marked down to $119!!
LOL - we buying the same discounted planes. You didn't happen to buy a Millenium Master, Cosmic Wind, or Mini Contender, did you?

I will also try a 4s 2200mah, 4s 2650mah, and maybe 4s 3300mah IF I can get the CG correct (NOT the manual's version - the corrected one).

I'm still on the fence regarding the retracts. I still have Eflite 15-25 retracts lying around looking for a home.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:45 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
As I see it we as consumers are hooked on price, bells and whistles rather than quality. Most are happy with crap as long as it has folding wings and so on even if it doesn't work and more than willing to spend money on fixing issues on them. Horizon does get feedback thru their dealers and consumers.

Mike
IMO its looks. We're superficial. I bought this plane even though I think it's butt ugly and seems to be underpowered (3s and 60A ESC?). I love the FMS 1700mm P51. It's beautiful in photos and real life. Too bad about the crappy retracts and brittle props (never owned one but a friend did) and now that the price is $450+ it's not an impulse purchase
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:35 PM
Joined Jan 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
IMO its looks. We're superficial. I bought this plane even though I think it's butt ugly and seems to be underpowered (3s and 60A ESC?).
Butt ugly? The most effective plane in the Battle of Britain? Nah!

As far as power is concerned, the Hurri has a 1000kv motor vs the 500kv motor on similar sized FMS products, so you have more rpms at a lower voltage.
Either way it's plenty powerful for scale flight.
Blizny is offline Find More Posts by Blizny
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:44 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I did find it a tad under powered, but I'm not exactly a guy who likes cruising around at 65% throttle, at a scale speed! :P
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:58 PM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
2,091 Posts
Wish I was closer to Atlanta Hobby!

Quote:

nom is offline Find More Posts by nom
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:22 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
I did find it a tad under powered, but I'm not exactly a guy who likes cruising around at 65% throttle, at a scale speed! :P
I thought it was powered just fine. A nice scale flying airplane right out of the box.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663