HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:50 AM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino5 View Post
Nice choices Bro! I think you should do the 71 Squadron bird. It would be cool to do one from your USAF squadron heritage.
Second that! excellent reason to pick that one. and a black and white underside will really stand out from the ground
TLMARK is offline Find More Posts by TLMARK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:00 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Moonbeam I like your thoughts about painting the hurricane. Im gonna paint all the brown parts on mine blue as well. Hopefully it turns out well and I can post pics of the results!

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:05 AM
Aerobatic Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Sep 2007
2,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_MACHINE View Post
Just doing the build right now and am getting the binding issue where the wheels touch.

Just wondering what the recommended way of dealing with this is?

Options I have come up with at this point are:

1) Bottom out the pre-bent struts in the retracts and modify the retract covers so they don't hang up on the coil in the struts.

2) Replace the stock wheels with a 2.5 inch wheel.

3) Replace the stock wheels with Parkzone P-47 wheels. Like the stock wheels they are 2.75", but they seem to be just slightly smaller than the Stock Hurricane wheels. However they are not as wide and I wonder if they will handle the weight of the Hurricane.

Any advice or guidance is welcome.

Thanks!
I'm still building it but I've haven't spent alot of time messing with the retracts yet, but when using the stock wheels with pre-bent struts I noticed the wheels will touch each other once I glue the wings together. One strut cover goes down and is flush but the other sticks up a little.
HugoCraft is offline Find More Posts by HugoCraft
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:47 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2012
991 Posts
I got the PNP at LHS for $175, retracs-$78, and prebents-$12. The very next day- HH drops the price to $120 for PNP. €#%^ !!!! Got another PNP for that price, so now I have 2. Thinking of selling for $140( gotta make back some loss)! Return first one, or keep second for spares.
What to do to switch to 4s batts?

Had to get the Hurri as my Stuka was lonely in the air!
Loukhan is offline Find More Posts by Loukhan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fleet
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:23 AM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
831 Posts
Just picked up BNF at Atlanta Hobbies!!! $139 + tax...the quest is over...it is in my hands. Canceling back order with online vendor for PNP. What an amazing deal!
IfIHadWings is offline Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:15 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
Just picked up BNF at Atlanta Hobbies!!! $139 + tax...the quest is over...it is in my hands. Canceling back order with online vendor for PNP. What an amazing deal!
thats where i got mine, tough to beat that...
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:06 PM
Joined Sep 2008
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft View Post
I'm still building it but I've haven't spent alot of time messing with the retracts yet, but when using the stock wheels with pre-bent struts I noticed the wheels will touch each other once I glue the wings together. One strut cover goes down and is flush but the other sticks up a little.
I really liked the video that ChuckTSeeker put together on installing the retracts. Made my installation go better.

I asked a similar question earlier in this thread and was told that most people sanded down the tires so they would fit.
aurorae is offline Find More Posts by aurorae
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:16 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,100 Posts
Same. Did you actually go to the store? If not you should!! It's pretty darn impressive. Almost need an hour to see everything, if you go at my pace that is.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:21 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurorae View Post
I really liked the video that ChuckTSeeker put together on installing the retracts. Made my installation go better.

I asked a similar question earlier in this thread and was told that most people sanded down the tires so they would fit.
Can't folks just grind a bit off the insert end of the pre-bent? I'm planning t jus use the struts tha come with the retracts like I did on the P-47. The pre-bents fo that one gave me fits. But 159 flights on the EF struts with NO issues.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Can't folks just grind a bit off the insert end of the pre-bent? I'm planning t jus use the struts tha come with the retracts like I did on the P-47. The pre-bents fo that one gave me fits. But 159 flights on the EF struts with NO issues.
Yes you can; I did a fraction,
.... but don't over-do it, or the coils will foul the structure of the retract housing.

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:43 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Same. Did you actually go to the store? If not you should!! It's pretty darn impressive. Almost need an hour to see everything, if you go at my pace that is.
AH is seven miles from office. I've been there a couple of times to pick up parts, accessories, etc. You're right...you have to take some time and look around!
Im still stoked about the BNF!
IfIHadWings is offline Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,202 Posts
This was the view at Atlanta Hobby after the shipment came in. Pallets took up the entire isle from one end of the store to the other
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:17 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
694 Posts
Bent/Warped Right Elevator

Do you guys notice bent/warped elevator on your Hurricanes?

The tip of my right elevator tip droops down 5mm from the trailing edge of stab (see pic). Went back to LHS to pickup another BNF for spare, opened several boxes to try find one without warp elevator. All had warped elevator to a verying degree. Do you guys not see this with yours or am I too picky? I reported the problem to Horizon Hobby waiting to see if they will replace it. LHS don't want to deal with it.
turbinefancy is offline Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:24 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,202 Posts
Mine was fine.
IMO it does not look droopy, it looks more like the last hinge was not installed in line with the others.

Do you think rehinging the elevator would solve your issue? If so, it is a very simple and quick fix...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:39 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,380 Posts
Picked up a BNF for $129 today!!! Been meaning to get another warbird since retiring my Seafury. Going to set it up for 2x 2200mah batteries and sell the stock one.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel