HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:46 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo1948 View Post
By the way, I'm a fan of Horizon Hobby....I have several Parkzone and E-Flite planes and love them and certainly, your customer service is second to none.

Mondo
I totally agree with you Mondo... I was subscribed to the PZ Corsair thread, but I unsubscribed because of the very issue you stated above. Horizon sponsors this site and one would have to assume they have people who at least keep an eye on the threads about their products... one would hope

My theory is that Horizon does not want to state anything for the record on the forums for monetary/legal reasons. Yes, they will take care of you if you call them... but if they put anything in writing on the forum everyone will expect the exact same treatment... as they should

It allows them to minimize the damage on a per call basis... whereas, if they stated anyone who got a GeeBee with the bad board gets a new one... then even more people will call to get theirs replaced because it is in writing and it is a sure thing. By staying ambiguous to the obvious issues, they save a ton of money by not having to replace every defective product they ship out. When a noob or occasional flier crashes because the GeeBee hits OCP and kills the throttle causing a crash... those guys will assume it was pilot error and just go home with a pile of foam and HH is off the hook. Not to mention legal issues... if someone gets hurt by their product and they have admitted it is defective
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:48 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,043 Posts
Quote:
Hey Dave,
Sarcasm isn't going to help your company. You know what will make you guys more successful? After intial release of a plane, jump right on this forum and watch and LISTEN to what guys are saying. And, react immediately. If somebody is a fool and is complaining about issues that aren't there, say so and make us feel comfortable that there really isn't an issue.

I'm sure you folks realize that complaints on this forum can really destroy your sales or at least put a big dent in them. I remember when a guy complained so much about the E-Flite P51B....(the color of the cowl and canopy didn't match the color of the plane), that someone at Horizon Hobby actually sent him a whole new plane, pretty much to shut him up. I guess that "somebody" knew what this forum could do to sales of that plane.

And, look at the Parkzone Corsair.....many of us couldn't wait for its release because of the retracts and flaps and then came the "retract problem", where guys were complaining that the plastic trunions were breaking. Nobody jumped on this problem. Instead, your "help desk" employees just acted like there was nothing wrong and spent lots of your money sending out replacement retracts. Now, guess what...Horizon finally "studied" the problem and determined that the molding of the trunion was a problem, causing it to break. And, while the problem is supposedly "fixed", we can't tell if we can safely order the retracts with the "new" trunions installed...many of us are still wondering if the older retracts are still in the pipeline. So, me, like a lot of guys, are still holding off ordering this plane. You should have found a way to recall the poorly formed retracts and issued the new ones. Or, just make the newly formed trunions available.

By the way, I'm a fan of Horizon Hobby....I have several Parkzone and E-Flite planes and love them and certainly, your customer service is second to none.

Mondo
If you let the forums run your company it would be broke in a week. This is simple the plane was a slow mover. They cut their losses, we got a great deal end of story.

Mike
mike2663 is online now Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Hey Dave,
Sarcasm isn't going to help your company. You know what will make you guys more successful? After intial release of a plane, jump right on this forum and watch and LISTEN to what guys are saying. And, react immediately. If somebody is a fool and is complaining about issues that aren't there, say so and make us feel comfortable that there really isn't an issue.

I'm sure you folks realize that complaints on this forum can really destroy your sales or at least put a big dent in them. I remember when a guy complained so much about the E-Flite P51B....(the color of the cowl and canopy didn't match the color of the plane), that someone at Horizon Hobby actually sent him a whole new plane, pretty much to shut him up. I guess that "somebody" knew what this forum could do to sales of that plane.

And, look at the Parkzone Corsair.....many of us couldn't wait for its release because of the retracts and flaps and then came the "retract problem", where guys were complaining that the plastic trunions were breaking. Nobody jumped on this problem. Instead, your "help desk" employees just acted like there was nothing wrong and spent lots of your money sending out replacement retracts. Now, guess what...Horizon finally "studied" the problem and determined that the molding of the trunion was a problem, causing it to break. And, while the problem is supposedly "fixed", we can't tell if we can safely order the retracts with the "new" trunions installed...many of us are still wondering if the older retracts are still in the pipeline. So, me, like a lot of guys, are still holding off ordering this plane. You should have found a way to recall the poorly formed retracts and issued the new ones. Or, just make the newly formed trunions available.

Mondo
I was going to convey something very much like this but decided to remove it because I'm to "new" here. But, I'll patiently wait and hope for a more thoughtful response.
dacula is offline Find More Posts by dacula
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:13 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
And folks wonder why vendors don't participate in threads.

I think Horizon is doing a spectacular job, releasing products that we want, are of MUCH higher quality than the vast majority of the crap from China and they have service that is second to none.

I can understand why so many vendors just don't think it is worth it with so many "experts" on the forums. Keep it up - maybe we can get rid of all the vendors.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Mike
They are. Check out the thread on the Guardian, you'll find that 'Eagle Tree' is asking for help in writing an instruction manual so 'they can get it right'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
If you let the forums run your company it would be broke in a week.
Mike
Is Eagle Tree broke? I don't think so. They realize the vast knowledge available right here in River City!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663 View Post
This is simple the plane was a slow mover. They cut their losses, we got a great deal end of story.
Mike
Did you stop to think why "the plane was a slow mover"? I'm afraid it's not "end of story". Hopefully HH will learn from Eagle Tree.
canon1 is offline Find More Posts by canon1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:38 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by canon1 View Post
They are. Check out the thread on the Guardian, you'll find that 'Eagle Tree' is asking for help in writing an instruction manual so 'they can get it right'.
A tiny minority participate.....because they are expected to be help desk, repair service, personal support and refund cashier.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:40 PM
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post

I think Horizon is doing a spectacular job, releasing products that we want, are of MUCH higher quality than the vast majority of the crap from China and they have service that is second to none.

I can understand why so many vendors just don't think it is worth it with so many "experts" on the forums. Keep it up - maybe we can get rid of all the vendors.

Mike
I couldn't agree more. My Carbon Cub has been awesome and the SBACH UMX is my new favorite plane. Recently I had an issue with a servo sticking and they sent a new one without any hesitation. I'm very please with the products... What I'm hearing is we want communication... positive or negative... we want to know we've been heard, and our opinions count.

Ultimately, we want to be believe and trust that HH is listening to our wants and desires, and when they mess up... admit it. JMHO
dacula is offline Find More Posts by dacula
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacula View Post
Ultimately, we want to be believe and trust that HH is listening to our wants and desires, and when they mess up... admit it. JMHO
Right on! HH is the best, no argument there; but they dropped the ball on this one.

Case in Point:
Here are some dates from this thread:
Feb. 2, 2012 … Hurricane became available in the US.
Feb 19, 2012 … First mention by user of incorrect CG in manual, should be 2.75”
April 9, 2012 … HH admitted on this thread that manual’s CG was incorrect and should be 2.75”.
June 2012 … Date of printed correction memo sheet.
Later still … Memo apparently included with all shipped Hurricanes.
Today … Manual’s CG still is not corrected.
HappyFlier is offline Find More Posts by HappyFlier
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:24 PM
ChuckTseeker Super Fan
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2012
585 Posts
DAG NABBIT!!! I finally caved... I was doing so well too... Oh well, Gotta Catch'em ALL

I didn't do as well as you guys were doing, but I managed to get a BNF for $189.99 shipped. I'm hoping it will turn out to be one those "Special" aircraft. Like my PZ Wildcat and my UMX Beast 3D, there is just something beyond words that makes them more than just another plane
Aphro is offline Find More Posts by Aphro
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:25 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,975 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphro View Post
DAG NABBIT!!! I finally caved... I was doing so well too... Oh well, Gotta Catch'em ALL

I didn't do as well as you guys were doing, but I managed to get a BNF for $189.99 shipped. I'm hoping it will turn out to be one those "Special" aircraft. Like my PZ Wildcat and my UMX Beast 3D, there is just something beyond words that makes them more than just another plane
Addict ...

Welcome to the cool kids club LOL
:beer:
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
709 Posts
Hi everyone,
I just got a BNF from Rob's Hobbies in soCal for $149. This Hurricane is a Beauty. I don't see any air exit hole for ventilation. Are we suppose to cut one ourselves? I wonder why HH over looked it on this plane when all other planes have air exits.
turbinefancy is online now Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:27 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
I think a guy cut out a big cooling outtake in the rear of the belly scoop. Cooling is definitely a problem with this bird.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:41 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
709 Posts
Interesting, so also have to cut a channel through the wing to exit at the rear of belly scoop. Searched earlier posts, Navy Fly Guys Venturi scoop seems cool, too; easier to do before gluing the wing and scoop together. Thanks.
turbinefancy is online now Find More Posts by turbinefancy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone Millennium Master
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:51 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,277 Posts
Flew mine all summer without scoop mod. I did however take the stacks off and open them up for breathing. You also have to make holes in the foam underneath where they go as well. 5 on each side. 3 in the motor cavity 2 next to esc cavity. I fly with 4000mah 3 cell packs, and stock battery.
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:49 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,122 Posts
I think if they rerelease the Hurricane in the "Tropical" config (with the chin scoop) which would provide better cooling, leave it retract ready with flaps installed (like the BnF), and sell it for $200 or even $250, folks would jump all over it. I know I would!! Sure it would be more after retracts, than say an FMS 1400m warbird, but I would be able to go to the LHS and get parts and actually have knowledgable tech support at a mere phone call.

I totally understand HH's reason for discontinuing this particular bird the way it is, I don't fault them for anything as noobs shouldn't be starting off on a plane like this. Their target market for E-Flite is primarily folks who know a thing or two about setting up a plane or heli.

I would however be disappointed if HH threw in the towel on making this series. Right now the 1400mm warbirds are big sellers for other companies, and I'm seeing a LOT more of them at the field these days. I don't have any (besides the Hurricane), because I don't trust the manufacturers or distributors of them to be reliable when it comes to parts and support. HH has the BEST support hands down, therefore if they made more of these, I'd be broke and living in a box under a bridge!!

All that out of the way, two of the three we purchased are ready to maiden, and the third is awaiting the owner to bring his Tx up so we can program his flap settings.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam