HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:29 PM
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
It doesn't take a lot of thought to figure it out.

Why would a company discontinue something?
Interesting... I would assume poor sales, but how are we to know with such a vague response?
dacula is offline Find More Posts by dacula
Last edited by dacula; Jan 25, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:30 PM
Biloxi Ms.
Joined Jan 2006
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimbeaver View Post
Checked their site a bit ago and though it shows as in-stock it errors as out of stock if you add it to your cart so pretty sure they are out. Since they drop shop with HH sometimes their stock systems are somewhat linked and can on rare occasions show things as in-stock which are not.
I may have got the last one, that was 2 hours ago.

Rich
schweig1959 is online now Find More Posts by schweig1959
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:37 PM
Biloxi Ms.
Joined Jan 2006
136 Posts
Your right Grimbeaver, just checked HZ site and it now shows out of stock.

Rich
schweig1959 is online now Find More Posts by schweig1959
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:09 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,443 Posts
Quote:

Simple indeed. When stuff does not sell very well you don't continue them.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:35 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtech View Post
Yes, pilots have complained about it being incorrect from almost day one. HH elected not to make a change until it was very obvious it was wrong. Reading this thread from the beginning is the clue. I suspect this is one of the major reasons for its downfall. People were crashing their $350 plane because the stated CG made it tail-heavy.
RT
One contributing factor to this kind of problem is that many of the buyers of this model aren't really modelers. Modelers who've learned some basic aerodynamics would have said "whoa" when they saw the recommended CG measurement. That's because they know that the CG on a symmetrical wing should be about 25% - 30% of MAC. This translates to between 25% - 30% back from the LE of the wing at the root. It was a knowledgeable modeler who first called this error out early on in this thread.

I just received my Hurri today. I opened the box and removed the battery, charger and receiver from the box. Looked at the documentation too. I haven't found a CG addendum yet. Makes me wonder how old this model is....

Beautiful model, though.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
[Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:59 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,493 Posts
Well, if you go from a PZ plane to this plane, it's quite a jump. PZ planes will almost always fly without paying any attention to CG as long as you're flying stock equipment. It just works.

This Hurricane requires some actual balancing, and a lot of the casual, novice, or uneducated RC pilots who had great success with the PZ warbirds mistakenly think the Hurricane was much the same. I'm sure a lot of these people are who got bit by the CG issues. There were, I'm sure, also some of the more seasoned folks who trusted the CG printed in the manual, but most who've been around the airfield a few times knew to question it.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:09 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
771 Posts
Quote:

Grabbed one of the last few from the Hobby Zone today. (Not the first model from your company that I've purchased.) Looking forward to comparing this Hurri to the Windrider version.

Thanks for putting out a good product, Dave. I hope you all find success in some niche of this business. Your company has done much to bring this hobby to the best state it's ever been. Thanks.

Cheers,
Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
212 Posts
[Removed by User
Retiredtech is offline Find More Posts by Retiredtech
Last edited by Retiredtech; May 29, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:18 PM
Mineral, VA
United States, VA, Mineral
Joined Jan 2012
36 Posts
Wow what a surprise!...all of this traffic. I jumped on a PNP from HZ around noon today when I saw the email from them...wish I could have gotten the BNF for 10 bucks more. My fix; I have a spare AR600 in the box and 4 3300 4S batteries.

The power combo (motor/ESC) in the Hurricane is the same as the the Carbon Z Yak 54. Although the Yak weighs 3.8lbs (13.6 oz. less) and uses a 12x5.25 prop on 4S. I agree with the earlier post stating that an 11x7 would be a good place to start on 4 cells.

I can't wait to see the plane...I hope mine is as nice as you all say.
mrutter1 is offline Find More Posts by mrutter1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:46 PM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
I bought two PNPs today after lunch...felt pretty good about that purchase.

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:56 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,060 Posts
Well, they're selling now. I'd be all over a b model p40 in this range. My hurricane is going strong and it's been through two midairs, crazy. I'd hate to see this be the end of this size class, however they seem to be settling into the beginner arena more and more.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:25 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coot83 View Post
Moonbeam, they dont by chance carry other airplane manufacturers besides horizon hobby do they?

Coot
Atlanta Hobby? Yes! Horizon, Electrifly, Top Flite, Align, Multiplex, Flyzone.... basically everything from Horizon & Tower plus a few others especially if you get into quadcopters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Simple indeed. When stuff does not sell very well you don't continue them.

Mike
I think price point was the killer. I have to totally agree with most here, that if this size warbird from E-Flite came with retracts installed and was about $80-$100 less, it'd sell like hotcakes. I'd definitely rather spend a bit more on an E-Flite, fully supported plane that I can get parts for at the LHS, rather than less on the same type bird from a non-supportive overseas company.

Got mine all finished and ready to maiden. I have not yet checked the CG, but will tomorrow. Plane went together very nicely and was easy to set up, not to mention it just looks awesome! They did a fantastic job on it, especially the waterslide decals instead of shiney vinyl, really made a difference in the appearance! Retracts to be installed after the maiden.

Maybe we should all consider a petition to have them continue this series? Just rethink a few aspects and give it another go? Thoughts? I really hate to see them drop this series (or "would have been series").
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:34 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
3,957 Posts
Edit to above: I'm not even tired yet, so I went ahead and CG'd it with a 3300 3S, balanced PERFECTLY right on the square panel. That sound right (according to what I've read)?

Also, I dialed down the full flap amount to 35mm instead of the recommended 41mm. 41mm seemed too much. Any suggestions, or is that good enough?
Moonbeam is online now Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:31 AM
Guntalingen, Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos View Post
Very sad indeed to hear that the Hurri is to be discontinued
Unfortunately, not aware of any similar aggressive level of discount initiatives over here in the U.K.
Schweighofer in Austria has the PnP for 119 euros - they even shipped free to Germany, don't know about the U.K. though
Lorenz
flyyyer is offline Find More Posts by flyyyer