SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:57 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,081 Posts
I don't think anyone has had problems with them.
copperbricks is online now Find More Posts by copperbricks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:03 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loukhan View Post
Someone told me that there is a issue w/the type of servo used in this. Has that gotten sorted or is it rubbish?
Hope not, The guy that told you that may have experienced some problems, (electronics)-It happens.
I now have 53 flights on my hurricane with the stock eflite 13g digital Sub Micro Servo's and not a hickup,never a problem.
JM66 is offline Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: German Luftwaffe pilots
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:06 PM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lilja View Post
Moonbeam, were you able to pick it up?
Ken
Cliff told me they'd be in the shop on Thursday, so hopefully that happens. I had to call Monday to let them know we'd pick em up, and that we wanted to add a third one to the order. The guy I talked to (Greg?), said he made a note and our order for the initial 2 was in the system and secured. Cliff told me today that they sold out (400+ ordered!!), so hopefully they got that 3rd one on our order!

If all goes well, we'll have a Hurricane build party at the house Saturday, maybe Friday evening. After some flights we'll repaint them all. Our friend Jon (who will hopefully get that 3rd plane), already picked out his paint scheme. My brother & I are still on the fence deciding. There's about 4 that I like, so I'm staying up a bit tonight to try and make a final decision. Below is what Jon's will look like:
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:00 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,253 Posts
Here's a few interesting ones. The "XR-J" of the 71 Eagle Squadron is one of personal meaning since the last Fighter Squadron I was assigned to in the Air Force was the 334th. The 334th are direct descendants who's lineage goes all the way back to the 71 Eagle Squadron. So that might be my pick, though there are some other really cool looking paint schemes.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:34 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,253 Posts
Research Headaches

Here's an example of conflicting info. This sort of thing happens a lot when researching a historically correct paint scheme. I'm NOT doing this one, but it's interesting to see the differences in the info. It's possible this squadron went to a "night fighter" scheme after a while, I'll have to dig into the 87 Squadron history a bit more. I never looked into it, just noticed the differences while Google Imaging Hawker Hurricanes:
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:40 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,404 Posts
Quote:
Someone told me that there is a issue w/the type of servo used in this. Has that gotten sorted or is it rubbish?
Rubbish
ryramZ is online now Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:06 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
USA, TX, El Paso
Joined Dec 2003
6,261 Posts
Quote:
There's a "someone" in every crowd. It's been my experience they normally don't own what their complaining about. My airframe along with the others I know off had had no issues.

Mike
mike2663 is offline Find More Posts by mike2663
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 AM
The faster the better!
Southern England
Joined Jan 2009
1,773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Here's an example of conflicting info. This sort of thing happens a lot when researching a historically correct paint scheme. I'm NOT doing this one, but it's interesting to see the differences in the info. It's possible this squadron went to a "night fighter" scheme after a while, I'll have to dig into the 87 Squadron history a bit more. I never looked into it, just noticed the differences while Google Imaging Hawker Hurricanes:
Yes 87sqd did spend time as a night fighter unit. LK A was wing commander Ian Gleeds plane

TLMARK is offline Find More Posts by TLMARK
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:08 AM
Joined Jan 2008
76 Posts
I had originally planned to do my second Hurricane on floats but decided to put into Soviet markings. I have finished the artwork for this and will be printing this on decal sheets. I will send a photo when its done. I love the E-flite Hurricanes and mine shows little wear with over 30 flights except for the re gluing of the antenae. I was at a recent swap meet and purchased a built Brian Taylor 70inch Hurricane which I want to put in electric as well
21onen is offline Find More Posts by 21onen
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:18 PM
Guntalingen, Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam View Post
Well, keep in mind that LK-A is just a squadron code and not an identifier of a particular plane. Your photos show different planes at different times in the development of the Hurri - one with a two blade Watts prop, some machine gun armed, some with cannon which makes them different marks. Also photos of models can be misleading.
Lorenz
flyyyer is offline Find More Posts by flyyyer
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,733 Posts
Quote:
I don't recall any reported issues with Hurri servos, certainly not in my case.

If fact I've never experineced any problems with HH servos in any of my many PZ / E-flite birds .... (other that when I've managed to strip the occasinal gear when I've severely wacked a servo-arm .... e.g. fouling an aileron servo linkage, on rough ground, during an emergency belly-landing.)

Altogether, impressivley robust and reliable.

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:47 PM
Fly Every Day
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined Apr 2001
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos View Post
I don't recall any reported issues with Hurri servos, certainly not in my case.

If fact I've never experineced any problems with HH servos in any of my many PZ / E-flite birds .... (other that when I've managed to strip the occasinal gear when I've severely wacked a servo-arm .... e.g. fouling an aileron servo linkage, on rough ground, during an emergency belly-landing.)

Altogether, impressivley robust and reliable.

That has certainly been my experience as well.
pmmartin is offline Find More Posts by pmmartin
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:59 PM
352nd FG Association
Joined Mar 2004
4,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMARK View Post
Yes 87sqd did spend time as a night fighter unit. LK A was wing commander Ian Gleeds plane

Thanks! Yeah I knew it was Gleeds plane, (at least the one that gets all the attention) but could never find a good definative pic of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyyyer View Post
Well, keep in mind that LK-A is just a squadron code and not an identifier of a particular plane. Your photos show different planes at different times in the development of the Hurri - one with a two blade Watts prop, some machine gun armed, some with cannon which makes them different marks. Also photos of models can be misleading.
Lorenz
Yes indeed. I actually knew those weren't all Gleeds plane, but there were at least 3 that claimed to be and were all different. Not a big deal though. I just need to decide which paint scheme I'm doing. Probably 71 Squadron (Eagle Squadron), but there are so many, who knows?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:11 PM
I'm slow but I'm expensive
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2003
582 Posts
OK! My Hurricane arrived today. The kit included EFL297518 retract covers. I also have a set on order with the struts.
One glaring problem is the configuration of the flap horns. They are perpendicular to the flap surface and the clevis holes are in line with the hinge pins. This causes the pushrod to have less and less leverage as it deploys the flap. I think someone mentioned "spongy" to describe the flap at the full down position. How it should be done is to off set the clevis hole aft so it is straight above the hing line at 1/2 of flap deflection. Do the same with the servo arm. Straight up (or perpendicular to the pushrod) at 1/2 flap travel. This will give the best leverage over the range of motion. If you want the flaps to be super rigid in the full down position, set the clevis hole so it is straight up at full flaps. This will have less force to keep the flaps closed but that shouldn't be a problem.
I deal with this a lot with my sailplanes which have a flaperon throw of +20 to -45. Flutter can destroy a 9oz. DLG if the linkages are not solid. They can hit 70+ mph at launch followed by a 12g pullup.
Ken
Ken Lilja is offline Find More Posts by Ken Lilja
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:11 PM
Old Registered User
Gaffney, SC
Joined May 2004
73 Posts
UPS brought my Hurricane today.....still can't believe I got it for just $139....sold the receiver to a club member for $40 (I fly Airtronics and FrSky) that gets the price down to $100 + shipping, great deal.

Wayne
wb4gok is offline Find More Posts by wb4gok