SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 24, 2012, 04:31 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Tuck's Hurricane

Hi PC,

I was able to remaiden my Stock Hurri this morning. What a pleasure to fly. Zero wind, rock solid and landing flaps were very effective. When I returned to base (RTB) the mailman was there with my Tuck graphics from Callie. The above picture of the Pima Hurricane (Tuck's) is what mine will look like.
The underside port wing painted flat balck really a contrasting difference when doing overhead manuvers. It really standsout!
I will remove the JX B codes tonight and add the DT A. Once all the tactmarkings are in place I will start the weathering process. I plan to use artist chalks sealed with Dulcote. I can control the amount on weathering with the chalk better than the airbrush it is just me not the equipment!

I will use the dry brush for the wear and tear of the leading edges and wing walks. Oil drips and smears will be done using drops on toothpicks and a "Dry" airbrush air only for flow patterns on the cowling/airframe.

Chaos I wil post pictures for you as I go along. I love this plane.

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:14 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
Please make sure you glue the wing halves together!
i will Dave. just doing a dry fit for the car. Manual says epoxy. What about the gws style contact glue?
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Fly Guy View Post
Hi PC,
I was able to remaiden my Stock Hurri this morning. What a pleasure to fly.
NFG
Spendid news NFG.

That 'half-black' & 'half-blue' under-wing scheme sure is a classic Hawker Hurricane icon .....

I'm watching with interest the various ideas on weathering
.... by coincidence, only last weekend I asked if I could borrow my duaghters artists set of coloured chalks, with just that same in mind; hopefully she will remember to bring them next time she visits.

Don't know if youy have the PZ Spit MkIX ?
... anyhow, I have just posted some video footage of my PZ Spit, using that same lashed-up hat-camera I did for my Hurri a short while back (Hurri post #1803).

Link to new PZ Spit footage here:-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=5025

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:31 PM
Mobyal
United States, VA, Lexington
Joined Apr 2007
269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ View Post
i will Dave. just doing a dry fit for the car. Manual says epoxy. What about the gws style contact glue?
Use epoxy is my advice. Gives you working time to get everything lined up and it's stronger -- or at least as strong -- as anyhting else you'll find....
Just my $.02 worth....
Mobyal is offline Find More Posts by Mobyal
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:38 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Very Nice Spitfire

Chaos,

Very nice Spit and great flying. I will keep you posted on my conversion.

NFG
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:28 AM
Cohen the Barbarian
Australia, NSW, Leeton
Joined Jul 2011
169 Posts
Ok - so having been the first to post that I had received my Hurricane, I am finally (about 6 weeks later) got to maiden it - floods, general chaos in life etc.

I like this plane very much - looks great, flies sweet as a nut, great "presence" in the air - attracted admiring looks from the others at the field today. Will drop a wing if provoked, lands fine without flaps (had full aux 2 deployed - flaps was on aux 1, this is my first bird with flaps)

Just a great plane
GenghizCohen is offline Find More Posts by GenghizCohen
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:23 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Canada, ON, Midland
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
I was wondering, I have a couple 3s 3200 mah lipo's that are only 20c.. Which is rated for a max of 64amp discharge.. Would these be ok in the hurri? Or do you think it would make them puff??
Ayeager is offline Find More Posts by Ayeager
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:25 AM
United States, CT, Southbury
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Gents...any comments on ground nose over issues on grass fields (like the PZ spit)?

Thanks,

Wes
RCflyerCT is offline Find More Posts by RCflyerCT
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:26 AM
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Gents...any comments on ground nose over issues on grass fields (like the PZ spit)?

Thanks,

Wes
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Aug 2011
335 Posts
Grass field performance

Gents..any feedback relative to the grass field handling on this bird. Specifically is it prone to nose overs like the PZ spit?

Thanks,

Wes
Old Mar 25, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,893 Posts
Battery C Rating

I have been flying electrics for a long time, and I use to purchase and use batteries where the C rating matched the max amp draw. So if the Hurricane pulled a max of 60 amps, I would get a 3S 3200 20C battery (20C x 3200 = 64 max amp).

I don't do this anymore, because I observed that the voltage and power does not hold over the flight time. Using Castle logging, I noticed that the voltage drops and power is 10%-30% less by the end of the flight.

So I started using double the C rating required with good results. I no longer observe a reduction in power during the flight. So I recommend using a 40C-45C when a 20C would normally be required. It just gives you noticeable better performance and is worth the little extra weight and cost IMO.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 25, 2012, 08:07 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,893 Posts
Ground Handling in Grass

The Hurricane does very well in mowed grass in the stock configuration. I moved my CG to the back of the squares on the wings, and it helps to avoid nose overs on rough field landings. I have not racked the gear forward like I have on other warbirds yet, but it will nose over if I don't land it right.

Keeping throttle at about 1/4 and flying it to the ground seems to be the key. Depending on the field, you can even keep a little throttle going after touch down (and pull the stick back) to blow air over the elevator. Even wheel landings are a challenge (but fun) because if the field is too rough or the grass is too tall, the friction will pull the nose into the dirt.

For take offs, I started to use 1/2 flap, and advance the throttle briskly with the stick back to avoid a nose over as she starts to move forward. A gradual throttle advance like a normal TO will just put the nose in the dirt. Then as the speed picks up, release that stick back pressure and let it fly off. The Hurricane comes off the ground smartly, so don't pull back too much and stall. Let it fly out.

So it just takes practice to get it right. The shorter the grass, the easier it is. I do not bother to taxi on grass either. The good news is that I have had plenty of nose overs and one cart wheel with no damage to the plane. (One firm landing did break a retract trunion, but that was not a grass issue.)
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:25 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,925 Posts
Just a couple of shots of my Hurricane for entertainment.

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is online now Find More Posts by mlee8249
Old Mar 25, 2012, 04:55 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Code Removal

Question:

In a previous post the pictures showed how easy it was to "Rub" the JB X codes off of the Hurricane. I must be doing something wrong.....I tried using my finger/thumb ...NoJoy. I tried using a pencil eraser to just get it started...again NoJoy. ANY ideas?

I experinmented on the Pcode numbers since the sky fuse band will cover most of the new pnumbers according to the photos of Tuck's bird. The results looks like a patch due to combat damage/field repairs. While this may be "OK" under the stab I am worried what it might look like og the large areas of the fuse where the new codes will be placed.

I figure that my weathering "Wash" that I will airbrush over whe whole model MAY tone down the non-exact green and brown paint match.

NFG
Old Mar 25, 2012, 06:58 PM
Holly Hill, Fl.
Joined Mar 2005
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Just a couple of shots of my Hurricane for entertainment.

Mike Lee
Real nice looking job on the weathering. Just enough for my taste. Thanks for sharing. I like to use a mix of airbrushing and artist chalk ground into powder. I too when finished seal with dulcoat.

Regards
Mike
flmlm is offline Find More Posts by flmlm