HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:08 AM
Captain Coolite
Rob Knox's Avatar
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
Paint Tint info

I was a bit of a goose and damaged the cockpit, I won't explain how (it wasn't flying), anyway, I went to my local BMS Mitre 10 hardware store with the cockpit and the guy has PERFECTLY matched the colours.
See if you can pick it from the previous picks the places where I've painted.
Also, On the attached pic I've painted over the Roundel (wouldn't rub off) because it was in the wrong position for Clive's aeroplane.
Just check how well it matches.
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Foam Model Stand
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:46 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Grazer's Avatar
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,454 Posts
Hey Guys.....thanks for all the encouragement. The wind did not co-operate today.

Oh and yep got the CG on the little black squares for when I do get the maiden done.

Thanks again
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 08:59 PM
Registered User
ChuckTseeker's Avatar
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
Part 3 of The Hurricane Build

here we go with the last part in the build of the E-flite Hawker Hurricane, in this part we glue the Wings together, fit the Horizontal, fit the last few items to finish the plane plane off and then bind it all for the final time. For the credits there is a look at both the Hurricanes i have here, the Pre Production model and the brand new released Hurricane
This plane is a beauty to fly and i'll try to get out soon and video another flight using the brand new Hurricane

cheers chuck

E-Flite Hawker Hurricane Retract + build Pt 3 (12 min 17 sec)
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2012, 11:09 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Canada, ON, Midland
Joined Jan 2012
176 Posts
This may be beating a dead horse... But.... I cant help myself! Lol

Has anyone used the manual's recommended CG at all? I'm just curious if anyone has actually attempted it, just to see how it handles... I'm sure we have all speculated, and after going back and reading through the pages many people have made really good cases for keeping the CG forward at 2.75 or close to it.. (in particular PC ) I have obviously seen first hand that she flys great at the 2.75 along with many others.

But I can't help but wonder.... I might be wrong on this but I would speculate that a good majority of people would have just put the battery where it seemed it should fit and go fly... Which is that 2.75 CG range... I'm just curious if anyone has measure thier CG accurately in the manuals suggested CG range and brought the hurri flying.

If anyone has, if they would comment or better yet post a video of thier flight experience on this model in particular?

I would attempt it myself but I don't believe my skill level is strong enough yet to get out of a bad situation quickly... I'm still thinking a lot as a fly... It still isn't totally natural for me quite yet..

But like I said I would love to hear from someone who has actually done it. And what the hurri's flight characteristics were like..
Ayeager is offline Find More Posts by Ayeager
Last edited by Ayeager; Mar 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 04:52 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayeager View Post
This may be beating a dead horse... But.... I cant help myself! Lol

Has anyone used the manual's recommended CG at all? I'm just curious if anyone has actually attempted it, just to see how it handles... I'm sure we have all speculated, and after going back and reading through the pages many people have made really good cases for keeping the CG forward at 2.75 or close to it.. (in particular PC ) I have obviously seen first hand that she flys great at the 2.75 along with many others.

But I can't help but wonder.... I might be wrong on this but I would speculate that a good majority of people would have just put the battery where it seemed it should fit and go fly... Which is that 2.75 CG range... I'm just curious if anyone has measure thier CG accurately in the manuals suggested CG range and brought the hurri flying.

If anyone has, if they would comment or better yet post a video of thier flight experience on this model in particular?

I would attempt it myself but I don't believe my skill level is strong enough yet to get out of a bad situation quickly... I'm still thinking a lot as a fly... It still isn't totally natural for me quite yet..

But like I said I would love to hear from someone who has actually done it. And what the hurri's flight characteristics were like..
+1

I too woud be most interested in any reports to understand how far back C-of-G can be operated
.... (fully recognising that it will depend on pilot experience and handling preferences).

I can attest that she flies beautifully at 2.75" to 2.9" for an intermediate.
.... but her slight nose-over tendancy might be further improved if we could safely go back a ltttle.

I am now operating O.K. at the rear extreme of the "Two little Squares".

There was a comment a few days back (sorry, no time to do a search right now)
... to the effect that someone found her getting a bit hairy just beyond 3"
... and had moved back onto the squares.

I confess to being a prime mover in encouraging the "two-squares" C-of-G (at around ~2.75")
... based mainly simply on doing some sums on where I generally plan on maidening a warbird new to me.

If I turn out to have been overly cautious, and that an intermediate pilot can safely handle her if genueinely balanced at the manual-recommended 3.75"
... then I aplogise humbly in advance
... with my only excuse being: better safe than sorry starting with a very conservative forward C-of-G

In fact; I personally would be delighted if she can be operated at 3.75" ..... ought to help avoid nose-overs a lot

Edit: added additional comment:-
I would imagine that there must surely be guys out there who don't visit this site
.... and thus proceed to set up with the manual recommended C-of-G between 3.5" and 3.75"
.... and go try to fly her?
Are any of you RC discussion groupies, in local clubs, hearing anything from 'not-on-line' Hurri owners ?

Ironically, folk who don't read the manual, but simply pop the stock pack into the apparently obviosu place (i.e. slid forward into the tunnel apparently provided for the purpose) ..... will automatically arrive at our conservative 2.75" pretty much on the "two squares".

It's the folk who diligently read the manual, and proceed to slide the pack all the way back, and maybe even add tail weight to achieve 3.5" to 3.75" .... who (may?) be in danger. Get those reports in guys.
Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Last edited by Plane Chaos; Mar 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:31 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Knox View Post
..... On the attached pic I've painted over the Roundel (wouldn't rub off) because it was in the wrong position for Clive's aeroplane .....
Splendid weathering Rob,
... I especially like the abrasion along the leading edges of the wings.
Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:34 AM
Captain Coolite
Rob Knox's Avatar
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos View Post
Splendid weathering Rob,
... I especially like the abrasion along the leading edges of the wings.
Thanks PC, it's very easy to do....the hardest thing is to avoid over doing it.

If anyone would be interested in tips, and I get requests here, I'd be happy to post a short "How To..." vid for how I weather my models.

I flew her, as is, this afternoon...man I love flying this model, and the flaps are brilliant, enables a very nice controlled approach for very nice scale landings.

Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Foam Model Stand
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:05 PM
Registered User
Kaikokid's Avatar
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
2,118 Posts
You are good at making videos Rob,so I think you should, I'd be interested.Everyone will have their own ideas as to how to do this but the more people share their ideas the more we can all learn.
Kaikokid is online now Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:14 PM
Captain Coolite
Rob Knox's Avatar
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaikokid View Post
You are good at making videos Rob,so I think you should, I'd be interested.Everyone will have their own ideas as to how to do this but the more people share their ideas the more we can all learn.
OK, I'll give it a go tonight after work.
Thanks KKK
Rob
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Rob Knox; Mar 19, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2005
1,762 Posts
If Horizon promises to replace my plane, I will try their recommended CG. But otherwise, NO WAY! I ran the numbers and know what will happen.
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:32 PM
Fly R/C writer
Redlands, Ca
Joined Dec 2004
1,867 Posts
Planekaos,

I have my CG set just a hair behind the squares...like about 3mm back. It does fine, but I will warn you that should you stall her, it will try to snap roll. I cut back on the rudder movement to make the yaw axis gentler and that will help prevent a snap roll if you try to steer out of the upcoming stall.

As for helping out on the nosing over, the further back you balance, the easier it is to nose over...the elevator is more sensitive making it easy to push over too easily and there is more weight on the nose relative to the landing gear. So, for the most part, I truly recommend that the average pilot balance on the squares. It is the best overall position for balance.

If you trim the plane for level, hands off flight, the Hurricane will reward you with the most scale looking take off of any warbirds. I throttle up gently, making sure I hold the nose straight until there is enough speed for the rudder to hold the tail in line. Then I start adding more power until I'm about 2/3rds power and start adding just a bit of elevator. She will unstick so gracefully, it's just awesome! Love this plane!

Mike Lee
mlee8249 is offline Find More Posts by mlee8249
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 03:50 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee8249 View Post
Planekaos,

I have my CG set just a hair behind the squares...like about 3mm back. It does fine, but I will warn you that should you stall her, it will try to snap roll. I cut back on the rudder movement to make the yaw axis gentler and that will help prevent a snap roll if you try to steer out of the upcoming stall.

As for helping out on the nosing over, the further back you balance, the easier it is to nose over...the elevator is more sensitive making it easy to push over too easily and there is more weight on the nose relative to the landing gear. So, for the most part, I truly recommend that the average pilot balance on the squares. It is the best overall position for balance.

If you trim the plane for level, hands off flight, the Hurricane will reward you with the most scale looking take off of any warbirds. I throttle up gently, making sure I hold the nose straight until there is enough speed for the rudder to hold the tail in line. Then I start adding more power until I'm about 2/3rds power and start adding just a bit of elevator. She will unstick so gracefully, it's just awesome! Love this plane!

Mike Lee
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for that report .... you are the 2nd pilot to report things starting to feel hairy just behind the two squares.

I'm now operating at the rear-most extent of the squares
... (with my fingers postioned in the indent-groove defining the rear edge the two sqaures, and she behaves well).

Re: nose overs: mine are due to trying to operate on less-than-smooth-enough grass .. where the grass / moss grab at the wheels ... thus rearward C-of-G would help, but I understand your point if operating on hard-top (... no such thing available here unfortunately)
Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:16 AM
Registered User
Australia, NSW, Bathurst
Joined Mar 2009
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Knox View Post
I was a bit of a goose and damaged the cockpit, I won't explain how (it wasn't flying), anyway, I went to my local BMS Mitre 10 hardware store with the cockpit and the guy has PERFECTLY matched the colours.
See if you can pick it from the previous picks the places where I've painted.
Also, On the attached pic I've painted over the Roundel (wouldn't rub off) because it was in the wrong position for Clive's aeroplane.
Just check how well it matches.
Hey Rob is that an acrylic paint?
bigfella65 is offline Find More Posts by bigfella65
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:12 AM
Captain Coolite
Rob Knox's Avatar
Meringandan, QLD , Australia
Joined Jan 2011
2,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfella65 View Post
Hey Rob is that an acrylic paint?
Yes mate
Rob Knox is offline Find More Posts by Rob Knox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Foam Model Stand
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:51 AM
Registered User
Navy Fly Guy's Avatar
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
461 Posts
Conversion to Bob Tuck's Hurricane

Good morning All,


Well I took the plunge this morning before leaving for the university to start the painting of my Hurricane. I am using the old Profile Hurricane MK 1 pub center fold as my guide for the Standford Tuck 1940 Hurricane. I painted the port wing flat black this morning. No problems I found at Hobby Lobby home supplies a roll of artist chart tape that did not pull up paint when removed!
I used Testor's plastic spray flat black and will seal it all when the new graphics gets here from Callie with Dulcote.
In one of the pictures you can get a good look at my "cooling ducting"

Love this model!

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion NEW!!!! E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 BNF/PNP!!! DFflyer 3D Foamies 3822 Yesterday 10:52 PM
Discussion E-flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 shoeler Sport Planes 4 Aug 13, 2013 04:47 PM
Cool New E-flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 miksta115 Electric Plane Talk 39 Oct 11, 2011 10:05 AM
New Product E-Flite Carbon-Z Yak 54 (48'' Wingspan 940 Watts!) Get Real 3D Foamies 1066 Feb 22, 2011 10:21 PM
Idea Parkzone's Next Z-Foam Warbird.... and thoughts,feelings, etc. SmoothCruizer Electric Warbirds 3836 Feb 03, 2011 11:17 AM