SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:33 PM
Ontario
Joined Sep 2004
223 Posts
Discussion
Large scale electric build (~1/6 scale)

Well, figured I'd start a thread here as well about my 1/6 build using RC8T parts. Been having a bit of a build thread over at microtforums.

Specs:
20'' wheelbase
19'' width using losi Claw MT tires. Could narrow it down a bit if I used HPI Terrapins
Castle 1717, 1580kv motor
Hobbyking 150A car ESC...we'll see how it holds up to the 1717
Turnigy HV300 servo
Going to run two 4S lipo packs in parallel. The 1717 DOES run okay on 4S but will draw some amps. Later on I may try 8S with a different ESC. Apparently the 1717 runs okay on 8S.
Weight so far comes in at ~14lb on my bathroom scale (that's including two 4S 4500mah batteries, but missing a topdeck and esc)

The chassis right now is just lengthened with a spliced in piece of alum between the two ends. I've got it held together with screws+nuts. We'll see how well that holds up. If I like this and the parts hold okay, I'll see if I can get a welded or machined chassis.

Stock RC8T CVDs are awful thin and I was worried about snapping them as I'm running ~6.8'' tires. So I took the stub axle from a Losi LST2 and mated it to the bone from a MGT 8.0 (the MGT 4.6 bone will NOT work for this, it's a hair too small). But the MGT 4.6 bones work great as center CVDs.

Motor mount is a team grid cam style mount meant for 1/8 vehicles. I'm not sure how well it's going to keep a heavy 1717 in place, but we'll see what happens.

The rollcage is a baja 5B cage. I've mounted the center support/brace backwards to clear the motor. The body will also be a baja body...just need to figure out the mounts. I should have some new pics up in a few days with the mounted body.

Since this large scale build seems to be relatively light (compared to other large scales), I'm hoping the RC8T parts will hold, though it's possible they won't due to the size/weight of the wheels/tires and torque of the motor.

Anyways, enjoy!
stona is offline Find More Posts by stona
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:06 PM
Ontario
Joined Sep 2004
223 Posts
Alright...got the flu last week and was a bit out of it...but here's where I am now. Figured out the bodymounts and have all the parts on. All that's left is the topdeck, mounting the ESC, and wiring it all up. You guys think the RC8T wing is too small? I've got a 5B wing I can throw on if need be...
stona is offline Find More Posts by stona