SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Fish99, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 14, 2011, 11:32 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Flying ... and CRASHING, on the block

Quick flight on the street with the Beastie. Lot of fun, bit windy, and if you watch the out-takes at the end, a little "stress testing" against a parked truck. LOL

Marlin

Eflite Beast On The Street - With Crash Out-take (5 min 43 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:51 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,787 Posts
Hi Marlin,

Just thought I'd drop in to say 'hi' and tell you what a great blog page you have! Looks like your fleet has expanded a bit, too!

Still loving the Beast. After nearly a year of flying her, I still get a big grin on my face every time I take her up! As good as the V1 Beast is, I can hardly wait for the Beast 3D! They say that it's tuned to fly like the 100cc version. I am stoked!!

BTW - great Beast videos!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:49 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Thanks Joel! I sure appreciate the feedback and compliment coming from you! Yep, the hanger has expanded quite a bit, and if my wife keeps on treating me nice I hope to expand it a bit more over the winter!

I sure do continue to like flying my V1 Beast, it's just awesome. Hard to have imagined a more fun UM until the Beast 3D with the stabilization in it was announced, now I am VERY pumped to get my hands on one! 3D flying in front of my house, does it get any better than that! Can't wait.

We sure are lucky to be involved in the hobby at this time, the things they are doing with miniaturization of the tech boggle the mind, when you stop to think about it. 10 years ago foamies were beer cooler specials and one step above a TOY, now we have a 14 inch wing span UMX that will 3D in you Driveway and flys like a 100cc counterpart, IN WIND!

Way too cool!

Take care and looking forward to seeing more from you as well,

Marlin
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:58 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
LIGHT 3D Flying with the V1 Beast

Well, the AS3X equipped Beast 3D is out and our old Version 1 Beasties are now "old tech" only a year or two after we got them! That's ok, as I STILL love flying this plane. I have been inspired by Joel (turboparker), RCBabbel and RealGambler's flight videos to start trying a little light 3D attempts with the V1 Beast. Here is video I shot of my latest (3rd session) effort trying this. For a guy who does NOT fly 3D I was pretty happy with the harriers, and even a couple, very short, hovers and spinning pull outs.

The Beast is a truly remarkable plane. That said, I might have to look at the new 3D Beast, or at least see about getting the 3D board for my old bird.

Marlin

Eflite Beast UMX - Mild 3D Flying - Version 1 in HD (6 min 57 sec)
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:57 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Harriers with the Beast 3D!

Well, a short while ago my wife was kind enough to buy me the NEW Beast 3D as a surprise gift! (Too nice, I know.) I had crashed and banged up my old beastie so much it was in need of a whole new body so it was great to get this new plane.

Since flying it I realized, I can't go back. This thing is AMAZINGLY stable, in wind, or high alpha. Makes true HOVERS possible, and it overall just a blast to fly.

Here is a video of my Beast doing high alpha maneuvers in front of my house. As you can see, the wings rock, but it self corrects VERY well so I was able to do some nice Harrier landings / touch and gos.

Amazing tech, fantastic little plane.

Marlin

UMX Beast 3D High Alpha Flying (5 min 43 sec)
Old Mar 24, 2012, 02:10 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Knife Edge and few minor Hovers!

Practice at the park doing some KNIFE EDGE flying! It was pretty windy but this thing handles it like it's not there. You can knife edge all day long.

Marlin

Beast 3D Knife Edge Flying (4 min 46 sec)
Old May 18, 2012, 10:40 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Awesome tutorial!
This going to be my first battery build. Got everything on order, including beast 3D
One question, could somebody recommend charger that would work with those batteries.

Thank you.
leftie712 is offline Find More Posts by leftie712
Old May 18, 2012, 11:14 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftie712 View Post
Awesome tutorial!
This going to be my first battery build. Got everything on order, including beast 3D
One question, could somebody recommend charger that would work with those batteries.

Thank you.
I am using the charger that came with my Version 1 BEAST and Mini Stryker. Here is a link to it.

Celectra from Eflite

You will need an aligator clip power cord for using a 12 volt power supply or the converter that also came with the V1 Beast / Sbach / Mini Stryker. It can be bought separately as well, here is that link.

12 V Power Supply from Eflite

Good luck with the maiden, she is an awesome flyer but does not self correct, so needs to be flown all the time. If this is your FIRST EVER plane you might want to hold off and get the CHAMP from Hobby Zone to learn on, otherwise you are almost surely going to wreck the Beast your first flight. She is a great plane, but most DEFINATELY NOT a trainer.

Take care,

Marlin
Old May 19, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Thank you Marlin.
I bought used UMX Beast 3D (that is how I found your tutorial when I was looking for info on batteries).
I have been flying Vapor and ultra micro J-3 Cub on my street.

Thank you again
leftie712 is offline Find More Posts by leftie712
Old May 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftie712 View Post
Thank you Marlin.
I bought used UMX Beast 3D (that is how I found your tutorial when I was looking for info on batteries).
I have been flying Vapor and ultra micro J-3 Cub on my street.

Thank you again
You're built, you'll love this plane! If you want to build your own batteries I have a video on that of course. (You likely saw that.) RCBabble sells ones he builds for a very reasonable price and by all accounts are excellent quality. You really do notice the difference when you go to a Hyperion battery vs the stock Eflite ones. That said, have also read good things about the Turnigy Nanotechs from Hobby King, and they are very inexpensive.

Drop back and let me know what you think of the Beast 3D!

Marlin
Old May 23, 2012, 11:35 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,787 Posts
Hi Marlin,

Great vids & nice flying! Love the smooth maneuvers! You make her look like a full-scale ship!

I was at the club field with the B3D on Monday. One of my flying buddies is an accomplished pattern/3D pilot. He also flies the A320 Airbus & other heavies for a living. I let him fly the Beast. He loved it! I could hear him laughing as he carved up the sky. He was still grinning as he handed the tx back to me after the flight. The first thing he said was that it felt like flying a large-scale plane. The second thing he said was that he's ordering one!

Looking forward to your next video!

Happy flying!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 12:12 PM
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Marlin,

Great vids & nice flying! Love the smooth maneuvers! You make her look like a full-scale ship!

I was at the club field with the B3D on Monday. One of my flying buddies is an accomplished pattern/3D pilot. He also flies the A320 Airbus & other heavies for a living. I let him fly the Beast. He loved it! I could hear him laughing as he carved up the sky. He was still grinning as he handed the tx back to me after the flight. The first thing he said was that it felt like flying a large-scale plane. The second thing he said was that he's ordering one!

Looking forward to your next video!

Happy flying!

Joel
Wow, thanks for that Joel, high praise from an accomplished flyer like yourself! You are SOO correct, many people just don't realize what these little micros are capable of now until they see them fly, or better yet try them out themselves! Got a big reaction at our field last fall when I pulled my V1 beast out. The wind was really blowing and I am sure the figured this little thing was going to end up 100 miles away. Blasted it around the patter, did some spins and knife edges, etc., and landed it right in front of me, no issues. Loads of comments on how surprised folks were with the plane.

Spending a lot of time with my Corsair and PA 260 right now, but still get the Beastie out in front of the house when I get a moment, just for the pure fun. LOVE doing very high alpha harriers with it, it's just amazingly stable.

Talk to you soon my friend,

Marlin