HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SoloProFan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:42 PM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
@rcstringfellow: Nice mods especially your solution for switching to the longer swash hub arms.
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
rcstringfellow - Looks like you are having maybe too much fun?

I was going to suggest that you might be flying the batteries too long (ie internal damage from low voltage), but if you have 50 flights on them, they are doing very well.

My Solo 210a sits on the shelf these days as I am mostly flying my single rotors. Once you go single rotor it is hard to go back to coaxial flight characteristics. But I still enjoy occasional relaxing indoor flights with the Solo.

I have dozens of flights on my 210a and the only thing needed was to replace the brittle flybar (3 times). If you are having similar problems, check out my blog for a summary of how to update it with Bravo III parts.

I find that on high rates my Solo already goes faster than its flight characteristics allow, and quickly loses stability on fast turns. I am curious why you wanted more servo throw; more straight ahead fff?

You can get some really good, inexpensive replacement 120mah batteries here. You just need to file the plastic part carefully until it fits.

I changed my Solo to yellow and recently put on a Draco body just for kicks.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:09 AM
NE solo free spirit V2
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Considerations

Gordonzo and Brosol,
Thanks for your reply's.
As soon as I need more than 60% throttle or the heli becomes less responsive I set it down. Must be a good set of batteries judging by your reactions.

I started out with the beginner setting on the TX. After plenty of happy going-to-ground-quickly's I started getting the hang of it and switched to advanced mode on the TX. Much more fun and a little less forgiving. In essence: to much aileron or forward or backward stick and you will go to ground.
After feeling comfortable with that setting I used the longer swash arms to see how they felt. My T piece was just long enough to stay in the swash connecting rods. They routinely slipped out during flight causing the gree chilli to go into an uncontrollable rear right roll. And of course to ground. I did the mod because the added unforgivingness (not sure if it's a proper word, it get's the message across though) made it more of a challenge to fly. You're very right about exceeding flight capability. Sharp turns are not tolerated well at all. Rarely, full throttle and gentle stick control provides a save from going to ground. Again.

Current challenges: a nice controlled precise landing. The chili is so light that the ground effect makes such landings truly a challenge. Any thoughts?
Keeping the chili in the air at a steady altitude is, how shall I put it, &&#%* hard. Does the added weight of 150mAh help in this regard?

Regarding the Bravo shaft mod. I suspect that preventing the flybar from popping of could result in more strain on gears and inner shaft. Mine is popping of regularly and I just click it back into place, no harm done. As yet I have had no fractured flybar. Also I am curious as to how the flying characteristics will improve?

Another question: recently my chili is suffering from epileptic tail shakes the first 20 seconds after I put a fresh battery in. It resolves spontaneously. Any cure?
Lastly, before buying while still in the orientation fase I read almost all of the info on rchelicopterfun.com. Especially found the pieces on TBE very helpfull. By the way, as you might have expected: the cross bar on the landinggear has already come of. Not a good mod.
rcstringfellow is offline Find More Posts by rcstringfellow
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:43 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,020 Posts
When pushing flights that long, the motors will get very hot. I think your tail twitch is a signal the motors are "going down south" sooner or later. Or, considering you only have it in the beginning of the flight, something is binding, that gets "looser" as everything heats up a little. Might be the lube in a bearing that is getting thicker, or perhaps has some dust in it.

Nice solution for being able to use the long swash balls, btw.

Precision landings with the Solo/Free Spirit is quite a challenge, it's so light. I find the SP 270 much easier to land on a spot than the coaxials. Considering you are looking into the MIA mod, the 270 would be a better choice than the Bravo SX, btw. The 270 frame doesn't need any mods to mount the MIA kit, in the SX it needs some more work and a spare frame to cut up.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:40 AM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
nice one

Thanks for the advice solopro!

I checked my heli again. Noticed some 1,5-2mm play in vertical translation of the main shaft. I lowered the locking collar after reading the forum. Fixed the tail wagging problem instantly.

The 270 looks like a much better heli. Did not know of it's existence. Excellent tip!

I was leaning toward the SX because Donaldsneffe's comment about the motor being a fraction better than the SP's. I would expect the 270's motor to be as good as the SX's. Would you agree?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 07:09 AM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
I got the needed parts to repair my heli. figuring out the the right direction to trim was fun.finally found out I was trimming the wrong direction.
and for the batteries .the ones in the transmitter are the ones that dont last long.I am tring to find the multi charger for the solution. ordered a couple more flight batteries .so I can goof off even more as my girlfriend would say.LOL .
one more thing should I adjust the the contol linkages to the throw where the heli flies hands off with tx trim settings at neutral?
I will say this little coax is a blast to fly.
crtaylor is online now Find More Posts by crtaylor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:01 PM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Heli fanatics,

Again the tail twitch. The bottom predrilled holes on the outer shaft are a fraction to high. That or my central frame shaft is a fraction to short. It means my outer shaft has to much translational play and I have to slide the locking collar down a bit and press fit the screw against the outer shaft. After refixing the locking collar for the umteenth time I came up with the following solution. I had one broken collar still in the, growing, spare parts section. I cut it to about 1mm thickness and used it as a "washer". Works like a charm.
Realized later that the better and lighter mod would have been drilling a new lower hole perpendicular to the existing ones. Alas. No dremel in my house.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:03 PM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Heli fanatics,

Again the tail twitch. The bottom predrilled holes on the outer shaft are a fraction to high. That or my central frame shaft is a fraction to short. It means my outer shaft has to much translational play and I have to slide the locking collar down a bit and press fit the screw against the outer shaft. After refixing the locking collar for the umteenth time I came up with the following solution. I had one broken collar still in the, growing, spare parts section. I cut it to about 1mm thickness and used it as a "washer". Works like a charm.
Realized later that the better and lighter mod would have been drilling a new lower hole perpendicular to the existing ones. Alas. No dremel in my house.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 07:42 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1 Posts
Hi,

I've got NE Solo 210A and it's really cool. As it was my first helicopter I bought it with a stock transmitter as a RTF package.

Now my friends are so amazed with this helicopter that they also want to by it (also with stock transmitters) so that we can arrange some simultaneous flying.

I've seen some info that it is possible to fly several RTF 210A in the same room at once, which means they can be binded to different channels using stock transmitters, but I found absolutely no info about that in the documentation.

Is it possible? How to do it? How many channels can be used (how many helicopters can fly simultaneously)?
Vusfnuv is offline Find More Posts by Vusfnuv
Old Mar 23, 2012, 03:16 PM
NE solo free spirit V2
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
Finally a truly beautiful totally windstill evening. I tried my sturdy solo outside. Very very cool!!!! Even the slightest hint of a breeze will take hold of it though. Good for the reflexes
Really dig the LED lights in the dark!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:40 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vusfnuv View Post
Hi,

I've got NE Solo 210A and it's really cool. As it was my first helicopter I bought it with a stock transmitter as a RTF package.

Now my friends are so amazed with this helicopter that they also want to by it (also with stock transmitters) so that we can arrange some simultaneous flying.

I've seen some info that it is possible to fly several RTF 210A in the same room at once, which means they can be binded to different channels using stock transmitters, but I found absolutely no info about that in the documentation.

Is it possible? How to do it? How many channels can be used (how many helicopters can fly simultaneously)?
Just turn on tx first, then heli. Others can do the same. Can have many 2.4Ghz helis flying in same area. We fly 2 V911's and 1 Solo Pro together quite often. No interferance issues at all.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:56 AM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
would someone please make some stonger skids for these little buggers. my only complant with this awsome heli.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:09 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtaylor View Post
would someone please make some stonger skids for these little buggers. my only complant with this awsome heli.
How about using the Xtreme skids, and then turning the battery holder backwards? Or perhaps even the SP 270's skids will fit, they should.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:18 PM
AMA 685483
Beaver Falls ,Pa
Joined Oct 2006
581 Posts
cool where can I get them? could I put a MD 500 body on it ?thanks alot .
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:48 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crtaylor View Post
cool where can I get them? could I put a MD 500 body on it ?thanks alot .
Which parts? The Xtreme skids are available at ClubHeli and Miracle Mart, the 270 skids are sold by Hobby King, MyRcMart and other dealers that stock the 270.
RCG Plus Member