HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by SoloProFan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:21 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
What a great post SoloPro, thanks for all your hard work. I got my Bravo III earlier in the week and I already broke a piece on one of my landing skids, I haven't crashed yet but had a rough landing. Does anyone sell upgraded skids or replacement skids?
You're welcome, glad to help.

Do you have the blue skids? The black skids are reported to be much stronger.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2011, 01:49 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
631 Posts
Yes I did have the blue skids, I'll search around to see if I can find the black skids.
malden86 is online now Find More Posts by malden86
Old Jan 29, 2011, 02:17 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,132 Posts
Double Post, didn't realize we were on page 2 already...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 29, 2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 04:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
25 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Glad you find this thread useful.

What color skids do you have? I am getting the impression the blue ones are more brittle than the black ones.
From my brief encounter with my new Bravo III (prior to returning it for a replacement..), the blue skids seem to be styrene plastic (i.e. model airplane type of plastic) which is very brittle. Back in my engineering days, we used abs plastic on the products that required any type of plastic material. It has considerably most flex and is not brittle. Adding color (outside of the default black color) to the material affected the strength also.

I'm sure technology has changed in the last 20 years and this may not be an issue with the color/strength today. Perhaps the black skids are now abs or the addition of color (white and blue) to the material is affecting the strength...
laarj is offline Find More Posts by laarj
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:53 PM
Boothwyn, PA
Joined Dec 2010
105 Posts
I have a quick question. Are the RX boards in this heli and the pro solo the same? If I had a working CX and took the board out of it and put it into a pro solo would it work? Does this board have the correct setup to drive the tail rotor and so on? Thanks.
zeros is offline Find More Posts by zeros
Old Jan 30, 2011, 02:30 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeros View Post
I have a quick question. Are the RX boards in this heli and the pro solo the same? If I had a working CX and took the board out of it and put it into a pro solo would it work? Does this board have the correct setup to drive the tail rotor and so on? Thanks.
As of revision RX-01 all micros use the same receiver board, but it is programmed differently for the coaxials, since rudder and gyro has to affect both main motors, where in a single rotor one, it should only affect the tail motor. So it won't work, unless there is a way to re-program the board. But I didn't see any jumpers on it or so...

Added a question about receiver compatibility to this FAQ, as well as to the one for the single rotor NE birds, since it also applies there.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SoloProFan; Jan 30, 2011 at 03:18 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:25 AM
USA, VA, Rustburg
Joined Jan 2011
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
Yes I did have the blue skids, I'll search around to see if I can find the black skids.
Good luck seems all US shops that stock them are OUT OF Stock and have been for weeks... I heard that www.clubheli.com was gonna have them back in stock in a week or so, but that was 2 weeks ago.
kablegod is offline Find More Posts by kablegod
Old Jan 31, 2011, 07:04 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
631 Posts
Thanks for the heads up kablegod, I repaired my broken skid by glueing a very thin piece of carbon fiber to it and I reinforced the other skid in the same way. The carbon fiber was an old pushrod from one of my old RC airplanes, seems to be holding up very well.
malden86 is online now Find More Posts by malden86
Last edited by malden86; Feb 03, 2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 02:33 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,132 Posts
Updated the part about the problem that one servo or throttle is not responding, explaining about using the easy mode 2 to mode 1 switching to diagnose these issues.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:17 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
I received a N.E. 210A Free Spirit which I purchased from Ebay using my B.O.B. HQ 852 fiasco refund.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've been previously flying 3Ch 6010. The NE 210A is my first 4Ch heli. Its a real challenge trying to in learn Mode 2 keeping a steady height & hover. Also the standard battery doesn't seem to last very long. I'm still learning hovering and trimming. I'm happy as a 4Ch noobie choosing the NE 210A.

After a couple crashes things that broke & damaged:

- cowling starting to crack & split down the middle seam

I fixed the cracks using duct tape on the inside surface of the cowling.

- the fragile carbon flybar flew off & snapped after hitting a wall

I replaced it with a HM-LM2Q1-Z Walkera Flybar. The replacement flybar is 16cm vs the stock 13cm length with adjustable length connect buckle. Snaps right in without modding. I reused the stock connect buckle as shown in the pics.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Walkera metal Flybar Set - HM-LM2Q1-Z 16cm length

Stock & Walkera adjustable length connect buckle

To keep the flybar more secure I might sand down & drill a hole to use a metal pin.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...RK:MESINDXX:IT

- Front right skid leg just broke after a vertical drop on a hardwood floor

Will replace the fragile landing skids with EFLITE MCX skid set

Other mods I did:

- used foil tape to fold out some motor heatsinks.

Heatsink, PKZ3052 Battery Connector, Turnigy 3.7V 160Mah Lipo

Pics don't show a smaller foil heatsink between the motors on the other side.

- Soldered a PKZ3052 Battery Connector to the receiver PCB so I can also use Turnigy 160Mah Lipo batteries & charge via Turnigy MAX80W charger. I can still use stock battery types.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11341

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10980

Pic shows a thermoelectric (peltier) wine cooler sitting on top of the bench powersupply, I use to cool down helis & batteries after flying.

I also ordered extra parts off Ebay: motors set, rotor blades set, inner shaft, gear set
Brosol is offline Find More Posts by Brosol
Last edited by Brosol; Mar 30, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 03:36 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,132 Posts
Is the flybar a direct fit that requires no modding?

Do you have a picture of the heatsinks installed? That way I can replace the current picture, that shows a Solo Pro tail motor, instead of this mod installed in a Solo coax.

The stock lipos don't last long, but the Hobby King "replacement" batteries do. So battery-wise there is no need any more to attach the parkzone wire and just add extra weight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2011, 08:07 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Is the flybar a direct fit that requires no modding?

Do you have a picture of the heatsinks installed? That way I can replace the current picture, that shows a Solo Pro tail motor, instead of this mod installed in a Solo coax.
I updated my post with pics.

Quote:
The stock lipos don't last long, but the Hobby King "replacement" batteries do. So battery-wise there is no need any more to attach the parkzone wire and just add extra weight.
I like the option to use stock or parkzone type batteries. Also I hope the extra weight will help me maintain a steady height as I learn 4Ch mode 2 flying.
Last edited by Brosol; Feb 01, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 12:54 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,132 Posts
Thanks for the pics. Some are a littly blurry though. Do you have a "macro" setting on the camera you used? That way it will get a better focus on objects very close to the lens.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2011, 01:41 AM
Brosol
Canada
Joined Dec 2010
1,111 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the pics. Some are a littly blurry though. Do you have a "macro" setting on the camera you used? That way it will get a better focus on objects very close to the lens.
No my cell phone camera sucks for macro.
Old Feb 03, 2011, 04:10 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosol View Post
No my cell phone camera sucks for macro.
Can't you borrow someone's camera? Some pictures are usable, but others are almost too blurry to really help.

Possibility of using mCX parts for repairs has been added.
RCG Plus Member