SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by SoloProFan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 08, 2011, 03:57 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Looking at pics, the solo Pro:

And the SX:

They looked quite different. Unless am missing something
RCHeli11 is offline Find More Posts by RCHeli11
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2011, 04:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Found the Solo Pro for about $85 shipped from Miracle Mart, is that about how much these go for?
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:19 AM
Joined Mar 2011
19 Posts
Any ideas on a problem I'm having. Sounds like a loose/broken wire but I'm not seeing it. Been flying my new bravo iii around. Had a few crashes, but this time after a kind of minor crash the rotors don't turn. The green led goes on when the throttle is applied but no movement. Then it started working so I put the body back on. Flew it for a bit and on landing it had a small jolt and stopped again... took it apart but can't find the issue. Any ideas? Pulled the motor plugs and plugged back in..no go
rrwantr is offline Find More Posts by rrwantr
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:26 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCHeli11 View Post
Found the Solo Pro for about $85 shipped from Miracle Mart, is that about how much these go for?
That is a nice deal, but you could also look for the Revell Proto Max, which is the same heli, same parts, same manufacturer, but with a differently colored canopy and tailfin. These seem to go for lower prices.

Quote:
Looking at pics, the solo Pro:

And the SX:

They looked quite different. Unless am missing something
The canopy is much different, but underneath is still a similarly style frame, with a CF tail boom. On the SX the tail section of the fuselage hides the tail boom, but it's certainly there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrwantr View Post
Any ideas on a problem I'm having. Sounds like a loose/broken wire but I'm not seeing it. Been flying my new bravo iii around. Had a few crashes, but this time after a kind of minor crash the rotors don't turn. The green led goes on when the throttle is applied but no movement. Then it started working so I put the body back on. Flew it for a bit and on landing it had a small jolt and stopped again... took it apart but can't find the issue. Any ideas? Pulled the motor plugs and plugged back in..no go
You didn't accidentally move the throttle trim? That might cause being unable to start the motors. Or one motor is shorting out intermittently, you could try a new motor set, these aren't too expensive, and you will need it sooner or later anyway since the motors do wear out after a while.
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:32 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
SoloPro: thanks for the info. I will check the Revell Proto Max, since the Solo Pro with deluxe edition comes up to more than $110 with shipping to Canada. I dont think the Revell comes with a deluxe version though, so am back to the Solo Pro deluxe..
Old Apr 09, 2011, 06:01 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,513 Posts
Quote:
SoloPro: thanks for the info. I will check the Revell Proto Max, since the Solo Pro with deluxe edition comes up to more than $110 with shipping to Canada. I dont think the Revell comes with a deluxe version though, so am back to the Solo Pro deluxe..
Perhaps a Proto Max and then a seperate case and charger might be cheaper in the end. The extra battery you get with the deluxe set is not worth it, the stock Solo Pro batteries are much worse than the Hobby king OEMs and these are about 1 dollar each.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,452 Posts
deleted
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Last edited by jtravel; Apr 10, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Perhaps a Proto Max and then a seperate case and charger might be cheaper in the end. The extra battery you get with the deluxe set is not worth it, the stock Solo Pro batteries are much worse than the Hobby king OEMs and these are about 1 dollar each.
I dont really need the case for either ones.

I would need that wall charger which charges 2 batteries at once, 1 stock battery, and I will get the Hobby king 150 mah batteries, say 2 of them. So whichever Helli I dont mind.. Should I still go for the Proto Max?
I could maybe get a Solo Pro and that battery charger (which charges 2 batteries through the wall) and then grab 2 150mah batteries separately, might end up being cheaper.

EDIT: so the battery from Hobby King will fit on the Proto Max just fine am assuming?
Last edited by RCHeli11; Apr 09, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
btw, how come the Solo Pro uses only one set of blades? No counter rotation needed? Am surprised one motor can make it move Left/Right/up/down/sideways.. rear motor is for forward/reverse, but still one motor is doing all the other stuff at once?? I dont get it.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 03:56 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,513 Posts
Quote:
I dont really need the case for either ones.

I would need that wall charger which charges 2 batteries at once, 1 stock battery, and I will get the Hobby king 150 mah batteries, say 2 of them. So whichever Helli I dont mind.. Should I still go for the Proto Max?
I could maybe get a Solo Pro and that battery charger (which charges 2 batteries through the wall) and then grab 2 150mah batteries separately, might end up being cheaper.

EDIT: so the battery from Hobby King will fit on the Proto Max just fine am assuming?
Yes, it will. The Proto Max is a Solo Pro, so all spare parts, including the batteries, will fit.

Quote:
btw, how come the Solo Pro uses only one set of blades? No counter rotation needed? Am surprised one motor can make it move Left/Right/up/down/sideways.. rear motor is for forward/reverse, but still one motor is doing all the other stuff at once?? I dont get it.
A single rotor heli uses one main rotor, and a small horizontally placed tail rotor. It doesn't use a vertically mounted tail rotor like the 3 channel coaxials that lack a swash plate and servos. The swash plate and servos on a 4 channel heli alter the direction of the lift of the bottom main rotor on most coaxials, and this makes the heli being able to move forward and sideways.

The main motor would cause the heli to spin wildly in the opposite direction as the main rotor's rotation, due to the torque of the rotor, so the tail rotor is mounted such that it counters that torque, and keep the nose in one heading. By increasing and decreasing the tail rotor's rpm, you can make the tail turn left or right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
SoloPro:
Thanks again. Good to know all that stuff.

So this is the battery: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14890

Wall charger, $9 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Solo-Pro-260A-RC-...item2a0ed9b175

the Solo Pro, about $75 shipped from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Nine-Eagles-SOLO-...item3a640f4f2d

so all in all about $90 or so.

The Revell Proto max is a lot more expensive on ebay for some reason. Have not checked elsewhere yet.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:40 AM
Joined Mar 2011
277 Posts
Anyone has a video of the Solo Pro hovering still?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:34 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,513 Posts
Hmm, we're talking mostly about the Solo Pro now, and since this is actually the Solo (coaxial) and related coaxials FAQ thread, I think you are better off posting these questions in the regular Solo Pro thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115641
or in the Solo Pro FAQ thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337008
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2011, 08:26 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Quote:
Anyone has a video of the Solo Pro hovering still?
Just sneaking this in before the discussion is moved to a more appropriate thread... Don't expect a single rotor to hover like a coaxial. A coaxial will more or less hover on the spot, with little to no input required from the user. A single rotor will want to drift around a bit more, and will require more stick input to keep still.
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Just sneaking this in before the discussion is moved to a more appropriate thread... Don't expect a single rotor to hover like a coaxial. A coaxial will more or less hover on the spot, with little to no input required from the user. A single rotor will want to drift around a bit more, and will require more stick input to keep still.
Yes, and no. My Bravo SX hovers better on the spot than my Solo coaxial does. If well trimmed, a 45 degree setup single rotor will offer similar stability, and requires no stick input to stay in place. Usually a coax will seem more stable because it is slower, so any slight misadjustment in trimming will only cause a slow drift. On the single rotor, the drift will be faster, so more easily noticed. Only thing is that when battery voltage drops, like it does during flight, the tail of the single rotor will usually require some trimming, and the tail drifting will cause the Solo Pro to move forward or backward, because there is interaction between tail and movement along the axis from nose to tail.

A 3 channel coax will be more stable than a single rotor, since it has no moving parts in the head, like a swash and control rods. With the right weight balance, this type of heli can stay in place almost indefinitely. A heli like the Syma S107 for instance, shows this. Everything beyond that, will usually be less stable.
RCG Plus Member