Old Jun 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
E-Paper
I think this is the technology that the latest Kindle uses...or at least it's very similar?

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2011, 03:23 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Agreed to all.
I should have specified the 20 year old greenish hued background-mono display and not necessarily the technology of the display.
Still, there's that little decoration missing on the back that may prevent my ever seeing one
Skies
Jay.
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Jun 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
E-paper is great in many ways (high resolution, high contrast, readable in direct light, low power) but is probably not a good choice for a Tx display because:

a) Very slow refresh rate and have to repaint the entire screen to change any pixel so dreadful for any dynamic display (eg trim changes, channel monitor, telemetry etc.)

b) No backlight option (so useless without good ambient light)

I agree that there is little value in colour displays on Tx, although as telemetry gets more sophisticated, the use of red for alarms would make it easier to spot a problem without having to read the details. So in time, a well chosen colour display could be useful.
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:56 AM
Scratch Builder
Braunschweig, Germany
Joined Sep 2006
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coro View Post
As for colour displays - just try flying outside in a sunny day. Use colour mobile phone screen to compare.
(Edit: yes the colour one needs strong backlight to be somehow readable. And any backlight would waste battery)
Actually I saw the very expensive 2000EUR Futabe hand held TX with color display. It is barely readable in direct sunlight, i.e. when your at the field at a sunny day. So I would prefer a display that works excellent under sunny conditions.

Cheers Alexander
AlexanderB is offline Find More Posts by AlexanderB
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:19 AM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
The Problem is, we use our TX outdoor. Most of the colour displays are useless in bright sunshine - even the AMOLED display of my Omnia 7 is not better than the LCD of an old Palm I use for F3K.
The second issue is the current consumption of the colour displays. One of the known problems of the Futaba 14 is the very short battery life. My Multiplex Royal can work over 24h (!!) on a 2200mAh LiIon pack. The new Futaba 18 has a 3500mAh battery!!! It might solve the problem, but you have to carry it.

A solution in near future might be an e-paper display or the mirasol display made by Qualcom. Currently LCD is for our purpose the best choice.
Viktor is offline Find More Posts by Viktor
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:11 AM
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
The Problem is, we use our TX outdoor. Most of the colour displays are useless in bright sunshine - even the AMOLED display of my Omnia 7 is not better than the LCD of an old Palm I use for F3K.
The second issue is the current consumption of the colour displays. One of the known problems of the Futaba 14 is the very short battery life. My Multiplex Royal can work over 24h (!!) on a 2200mAh LiIon pack. The new Futaba 18 has a 3500mAh battery!!! It might solve the problem, but you have to carry it.

A solution in near future might be an e-paper display or the mirasol display made by Qualcom. Currently LCD is for our purpose the best choice.
This not perfectly true.

It is absolute possible to use color lcd's outside in bright light. The real problem is that if you use a backlight lcd you have to have, because of losses, more than 300% of the brightness of the sun and surface has to be non glare. This is a absolute no go power wise.
But there is a solution. Use reflective, or better for darker environments, transflective displays. Also eInk or ePaper displays are reflective and can be enlightened.
A very good example for really good working displays are the transflective monochrome lcd displays from Palm devices like Palm M500 often used for tools like F3KTimer or maybe colored transflective lcd displays used in iPaq PPC 3870/3970.
If we are talking about eInk/ePaper displays, they are surprisingly good readable even in really dark environment. Seeing is believing.

lg
maikoflyer is offline Find More Posts by maikoflyer
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:58 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Yes, but eInk/ePaper are still not well suited to dynamic displays. I did not know about the Qualcomm MiraSol which is an intriguing new technology, one to keep an eye on...so to speak
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joined Sep 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgfly View Post
Yes, but eInk/ePaper are still not well suited to dynamic displays. I did not know about the Qualcomm MiraSol which is an intriguing new technology, one to keep an eye on...so to speak
Yes and no. There are no really fast changing contents in a transmitter display i nead and really slow are this displays only then when they do a full page flip for high contrast and low ghosting.

lg
maikoflyer is offline Find More Posts by maikoflyer
Old Jun 19, 2011, 02:44 PM
Berlin, Germany
Joined Mar 2002
316 Posts
The Qualcom Display can be used for movies - but only pre production samples have been shown

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/

E-Books: Mirasol Display Attempts to Trump E Ink (1 min 0 sec)
Viktor is offline Find More Posts by Viktor
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:11 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
Pfff whats all the fuzz'n buzz about?
I need at least 3D transmitter display to replace good old trusty TX:

Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:20 PM
Europe - Belgium
Joined Mar 2005
1,521 Posts
BTW pic is:
Description: Japanese Navy Type 96-1 Modification-1 Radio Transmitter
Manufacturer: Toyo Communication Company
Date of Manufacture: October 1941 (Showa Year 16 - Month 10)
Serial Number: 784
Installation: Single seat Japanese Navy fighter planes such as A6M Zero (Rei-Sen "Zero Fighter")
Purpose: Use voice and CW bands with ground stations and other aircraft in flight.
Frequency: Frequency range was 4.2 to 5.5 MHz crystal controlled
Power: 15W to 30W

more pics on:
http://www.kaijuzoo.com/radio/

So that was 70 years ago, or 1 generation.
Jurgen is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:14 PM
touching cloudbase not cloth!
UK
Joined Dec 2009
358 Posts
any new developements on this tx?
psychosaffa is offline Find More Posts by psychosaffa
Old Aug 27, 2011, 06:37 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Frequency: Frequency range was 4.2 to 5.5 MHz crystal controlled
Power: 15W to 30W
That'll fry your joystick!

It just occurred to me how useful a non-mono (4 color or full color...whatever) screen can be.
With all the telemetry systems coming around and...
all the data that is now available to the pilot, It could be very useful to have some color coded information (provided of course that it could be visually rendered in daylight conditions) for say a low fuel/battery condition flash yellow.Or red.
Either different parameters in different colors and/or different colors for various 'out of range' values.Temps,speed,distance,RSSI etc.
I would anticipate this against an all white background myself.
So you see,there's more to color than bling.IMO of course.
Skies.
Jay.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 05:40 AM
f5b-uk
United Kingdom, Dorset
Joined May 2002
3,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
It could be very useful to have some color coded information
If the model is flying slowly/high enough (but not too high) for you to safely look at a colour screen to see a colour coded warning it is also flying slowly and high enough for you to look at a mono screen and read the data.

Put another way, no screen is good enough to allow you to read it while flying the majority of models. Voice warnings are the way forward.

Mike
Mike Seale is online now Find More Posts by Mike Seale
Old Sep 03, 2011, 12:47 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Seale View Post
If the model is flying slowly/high enough (but not too high) for you to safely look at a colour screen to see a colour coded warning it is also flying slowly and high enough for you to look at a mono screen and read the data.

Put another way, no screen is good enough to allow you to read it while flying the majority of models. Voice warnings are the way forward.

Mike
Who said anything about reading?
A simple,flashing color can be easily perceived by peripheral vision.True,the flashing color may consist of alpha-numeric characters displayed on a screen but the fact that the displayed color is flashing is enough to get the message.
Nothing wrong with voice warnings/notifications either.Until your surrounded by talking radios or by chance a 'slimer' ( ) is flying by or warming up.
Skies.
Jay.