HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:22 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,184 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
Dick, wildpalm, satinet, I wonder how it is possible that you are discussing how to set up so-called four servo wing? With the latest transmitter on the market? I thought it belonged to yesterday's problems? ……
There are simple 4 servo wing setups and there are complex 4 servo wing setups.
Some modern Tx struggle to do even the simple 4 servo wing setups easily (or maybe it is the people using them?), so I want to make sure a Tx can do the more complex mixing before I buy it and not find out it can’t later (not at this price anyway!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku View Post
It is not my intention to sound like a "besser wisser", but I think that this feature is so widely used by many, that it should be a well described in the manual. …………
Unfortunately it is not well described in the manual. It is only listed in very basic terms – a bit like the manual for the Mpx 4000 which left people having to work out for themselves how to do the complex stuff.

Actually that could be a good sign – the more powerful and flexible the programming capabilities are, the harder it is to explain them all in a manual.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:10 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Switch Off a Servo?

I use a Free Mix plus Retract switch for my jets.

I create a Free Mix, RUDDER => NWS (nose wheel steering function -> servo) with the retract switch as the "Control".

I have a few refinements because (1) I would like the nosewheel steering sensitivity to decrease as the throttle is advanced and (2) I would like independent NWS trim (separate from rudder trim.)

FUNCTION/SERVO: add: NWS, leave Control "...", TRIM=P5 (right side lever), 30% value.
FREE MIX1: RUDDER => NWS, Control = "Gear Down", Slave+ Enabled, Slave Dual Rate+ Enabled
FREE MIX2: NWS => NWS, -65%, P4 (Prop), Master+ Enabled.

Similar arrangement for a Brake Servo.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
How do I switch off a servo? For example in my jets the brake servo and nosewheel steering servos are switched on/off by the position of the retract switch, in my Mpx4000 each servo has a switch parameter. How do I do it with the Jeti?
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:24 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
In general terms you can dispense with the rudder to nws mix by having the nws function controlled by the rudder stick.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:30 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
In fact the very simple example of disabling a servo is:

Create an NWS to NWS mix, everything left as defaults with master value of -100%. Mix then simply activated with the retract switch.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:37 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Eliminate Free Mix?

Thanks,
I think I tried that, initially, but had difficulty introducing adjustable maximum NWS steering sensitivity that also was proportionally reduced by THROTTLE stick position. The separate mix allowed the Master/Slave feature to be enabled and that, in turn, allowed the proportional control that I desired to flow through.

I will revisit your suggestion as I am always seeking simpler/better ways to accomplish what I try to do. I have learned much from your previous posts as well as some of the other Jeti Masters (sorry, bad pun, but ...) NWS was one of the very first things I was trying in the first month as part of my decision to keep/return the DC-16. I had been frustrated by other brands' inability to be flexible and customizable. Once that was working, then I tried other mixes and function curves 'till I was comfortable that this was the system, for me.

Thank you for the suggestion. Back to try it, again. I will post if successful or not.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpalms View Post
In general terms you can dispense with the rudder to nws mix by having the nws function controlled by the rudder stick.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:50 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
I stuck 'in general' in there because it may not suit your setup as you do your daisy chain of mix activations. First guess is that a logic switch with linear output would sort that.

Not sure there is such a thing as a better way and certainly not the right way. Your not short on mixes to use up and it isn't over complicated the way you've done it.

At the end of the day your trying to move some servos. If they move the way you want when you want then it is right
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:29 PM
Loves to fly....
Norway
Joined Jul 2007
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaizon View Post
Somewhere I seem to remember the folks who make the G-trim saying to use 2 dots per button, which is what I did and the G-trim works fine. It might have been in their video. I just can't remember. And they do give you more than enough dots to do it that way. Just a bit more cushion and clearance I suppose.

Preston
I used just one dot per button, and they are working tops. I followed the user manual on the grumania site. http://www.grumania.com. I guess 2 dots also work fine as you say...It is a good product anyways...
taxi2400 is offline Find More Posts by taxi2400
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:56 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Quick Try: No Go

I loved the subsequent remark about just moving servos and, if it works, ... :-)

My problem is that I am always looking for better, more efficient, etc., ways of doing things - plagued me throughout my career in software architecture and development. :-)

When I created the function "NWS" and used the RUDDER as the control, it worked with one additional mix (NWS => NWS with P4 as control...), but with the gear retracted, the nosewheel continued to move along with rudder; as expected.

When I created a Logical Switch of GEAR_DOWN / AND / RUDDER (Lin), and used that for the function NWS control, then I had a bias of -100 on the NWS output when the gear were retracted. That would mean that the nosewheel was fully deflected while retracted.

When I tried to correct that, I would up with another Free Mix - back to where I was.

Still, an interesting exercise, but I will stick with my original mechanism as it enabled me to learn about cascading mixes, linear logical switches, etc.

Thanks, and please keep those suggestions coming.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Thanks,
I think I tried that, initially, but had difficulty introducing adjustable maximum NWS steering sensitivity that also was proportionally reduced by THROTTLE stick position. The separate mix allowed the Master/Slave feature to be enabled and that, in turn, allowed the proportional control that I desired to flow through.

I will revisit your suggestion as I am always seeking simpler/better ways to accomplish what I try to do. I have learned much from your previous posts as well as some of the other Jeti Masters (sorry, bad pun, but ...) NWS was one of the very first things I was trying in the first month as part of my decision to keep/return the DC-16. I had been frustrated by other brands' inability to be flexible and customizable. Once that was working, then I tried other mixes and function curves 'till I was comfortable that this was the system, for me.

Thank you for the suggestion. Back to try it, again. I will post if successful or not.

Michael
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:01 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,520 Posts
sorry guys I didn't get chance to grab the TX to test the curve thing. But if you guys say it works I'm sure it will. I will double check the servo assignments and such.

Yes when you fly multiplex, as a glider pilot, you feel that the TX software was designed by someone who actually flies gliders. The cockpit SX was excellent - offering all the things you need like non linear servo travel on the flaps, aileron to flap mix, snap flap mix, flight modes, aileron -> rudder etc etc. The p4000 could do all sorts of things, of course.

That being said, aside from the cockpit sx manual - which was for a fairly simple tx, the manuals were sh*t; excuse my french. The p4000 manual was a joke, it didn't explain how servo mixes worked (i.e the whole point of the tx). The original evo manual was something to use if you ran out of toilet paper as well. Hence the user generated programming guide that came in to being.

The jeti manual doesn't seem that useful for learning how to really programme the tx, but I would hope in this day and age the answer would be online user guides rather than trying to offer multiple language translations of a TX that the software is likely to change on over time.
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:34 AM
Joined Oct 2010
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
IIRC, Mac will have two files, the "name" and ".name". You want the one without the "." if I read previous posts correctly.

For my models, I use a Mac, but I also run Parallels with Windoz as most of my model equipment is only supported by Windoz. When I get a chance, I will try my MacBook in native OS mode and see if I can replicate...

Michael
Got to the bottom of this with a utility called "BlueHarvest" - it adds a contextual menu to the right click allowing you to 'clean a folder using blueharvest' - ditching the ".whatever" files.

Did this, uploaded to the files to the DC-16 and they now play correctly.

One question - managed to set voice prompts to the middle and down positions of my three position switches, but don't seem to be able to set one for a return to the up position.

Any thoughts?
plingboot is offline Find More Posts by plingboot
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined May 2010
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plingboot View Post
One question - managed to set voice prompts to the middle and down positions of my three position switches, but don't seem to be able to set one for a return to the up position.

Any thoughts?
When asked to assign switch just flip it from mid to UP position.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:27 AM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
I am totally jones-ing for one of these. A few of questions.

Can the DC-16 be used in your hands like a standard transmitter? Or do you really have to use a tray? How far are the sticks from the edge of the case? Can someone measure?

It looks like the case is a lot thinner than a Spektrum or Futaba. If so, that would be a big plus in my book.

Can you inactivate or turn down a lot of the sounds, like when you turn it on, or when you hit one of the programming switches? I prefer things not to beep at me so much.

I like to make my sticks very stiff. I assume you can adjust the tension, and if so will it go as high or higher than the more popular radios?

Thanks,

David
Neko is offline Find More Posts by Neko
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:50 AM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,011 Posts
Hi David,

The DC-16 is not a hand-held radio, it is a lot thinner than the others (so is the DS-16 which IS designed to be hand held) but its wider and heavier and the sticks are meant to be pinched with your hands resting on the tray or the radio itself. Spring tension can be adjusted though I would like more tension. Fortunately the gimbal assemblies are very accessible so it's easy to add heavy duty springs.

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:01 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Some Answers...

Comments embedded, below.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
I am totally jones-ing for one of these. A few of questions.

Can the DC-16 be used in your hands like a standard transmitter?
It is a bit of a handful. If you have big hands, it might work. There isn't an attachment point for a neckstrap, but there are brackets available along with a neckstrap and/or harness.
Or do you really have to use a tray? How far are the sticks from the edge of the case? Can someone measure?
Mine measures 1 7/8" from the rectangular sides. Note that there aren't any handgrips on the case side or back.

It looks like the case is a lot thinner than a Spektrum or Futaba. If so, that would be a big plus in my book.
I measure about 3/4" difference between a Spektrum single transmitter case and my Jeti case; 6 1/2 vs. 5 3/4".

Can you inactivate or turn down a lot of the sounds, like when you turn it on, or when you hit one of the programming switches? I prefer things not to beep at me so much.
Volume can be adjusted up/down (e.g., 3D knob, button presses within menus, etc.) Sounds can be enabled/disabled, etc.

I like to make my sticks very stiff. I assume you can adjust the tension, and if so will it go as high or higher than the more popular radios?
I set my tensions higher than when delivered as I also like stiffer sticks. I did notice that tightening the throttle stick without involving the ratchet (I also fly helis) was limiting. I may just have to play with both throttle tension adjustments instead of just one.

Thanks,

David
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:06 AM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
David,

I did get rid of the ratchet effect on the throttle stick (I fly sailplanes and only use that stick for flaps) and was able to get the tension I wanted without getting any ratchet. Very smooth.

Preston
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon