HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack320 View Post
Spot on Matt, thanks for your comment, the Esprint performance here was not very impressive in my opinion either...
Jeti staff have PM'd me in the meantine, I have a beta Rx software version to test out, replacement gimballs are on the way, I will report findings shortly. Hope servo judder will be sorted...

These guys are ok over the phone, genuinely working on sorting the issues out. There is no way you would get to speak to research tech from Futaba or Graupner over he phone. Well, I did get a chance to discuss some fo the issues with these guys.

Jack
Nobody PM’d you, stop making stuff up. You know the problem with software was solved and there always will be new regular updates.

At least learn how to spell Esprit.

Zb/Esprit Model
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Jan 17, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack320 View Post
I fully agree with you that the DC-16 is probably the best radio out there, it doesn't mean it's flawless in design right from the start.

My fingers may not be as hefty as yours, but I certainly know what a normal use of transmitter gimbals means - if you read back a few posts, you will find that the manufacturer has made some design changes in order to avoid future problems with the control sticks.

It means this was not an isolated incident. Hopefully it will not happen again, this could be very dangerous when flying at a public show etc. as people may get hurt as a result.

I will certainly not "Try pulling back hard on one of the long 2 or 3 pos switch on any brand radio and see what happens." - i'll rather leave such experiments to yourself..! Plenty of common sense right there...

Jack
Hans/Jack320
Looks like the level of misinformation reached the critical level. After reading your posts, guys from Jeti CZ have decided to “officially” respond. You pretty much misled and cherry picked from information provided by Petr.

Zb/Esprit Model

Your email: The serial number of the unit is 124005312. Please keep me posted on the issues discussed over the phone.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:22 AM
Germany, BY, Bayreuth
Joined Sep 2011
26 Posts
Dear Zb/E s p r i n t,

It certainly seems like the level of denial has reached critical level!

Have you been personally appointed as a chief Denial Coordinator?

No I don't know the problem with the software was solved, I am trying to look harder to see if the servos have stopped juddering, no they haven't, sorry. I will let you know when they do, that's when the problem will be solved.

As for the PM's do you really want me to do a few screenshots and post them here?, not in your best interest I guess, but if you insist, I may do that.

Choose your words more carefully my friend.

I will be looking forward to the official statement in the meantime...

Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
Hans/Jack320
Looks like the level of misinformation reached the critical level. After reading your posts, guys from Jeti CZ have decided to “officially” respond. You pretty much misled and cherry picked from information provided by Petr.

Zb/Esprit Model

Your email: The serial number of the unit is 124005312. Please keep me posted on the issues discussed over the phone.
Jack320 is offline Find More Posts by Jack320
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:09 PM
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,108 Posts
Yes, Jack. Post them if you got 'em. But for some reason I suspect you don't.
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:17 PM
Joined Nov 2009
429 Posts
Calm down guys. I can understand your frustration Jack. An official statement from Jeti would be great to stop this useless discussion.
There are quite a lot people flying the DC16 here in Germany. No one has reported any issues with servo jitter. No one has reported any issues with the sticks.
Looking at my heavily used, and 6 months old DC16, I would say it takes quite a bit of brute force to snap them. Certainly not during normal flight operation.
A production error, rough treatment during shipping can be the root cause.
We heard from one distributor here that Jeti changed the packaging to further avoid such transportation damages.
Just one recent example about Jeti responsiveness :
On Dec 27, Jeti released V1.07 firmware.
On Dec 29, users reported an issue with telemetry in conjunction with some 3rd party sensors
On Dec 30 (Sunday) the user community tracked down the problem to some EX protocol changes which required a fix in the DC16 and Sensor FW.
The problem got reported to Jeti on Dec 31.
Jeti and the 3rd party worked over new year and sent out a patch on Jan 1 for testing.
FW 1.701 got released to public on Jan 3.

Problems can happen in such increasingly complex systems. Important is how the response is.
Show me any other vendor who responds to a non mission critical defect over a long weekend during holiday season.
Just my 2 cents.
Best Stephan
schiwo1 is offline Find More Posts by schiwo1
Last edited by schiwo1; Jan 17, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:57 PM
United States, TX, Allen
Joined Jun 2008
8 Posts
DC-16 Build Quality comments

Personally, I feel that it represents a substantial value in a quality piece of equipment. I got mine delivered Saturday morning and loaded v1.07 this morning. If you compare it to what $1300 gets you in Futaba or Jr, there is no comparison. In fact, if you compare current $1k JR or Futaba radios against 10 year old 9zs or 10Xs, the build quality has dropped substantially. Yes, functionality has increased but that has been the product of faster uProcessors and cheaper memory.

The areas in which JR and Futaba could have improved on such as machining, materials, and finish were neglected and left up to the plastics vendors.

I think that Jeti should be commended for their innovation and quality. I hope that they can keep the price level down but I doubt it.
mosfetman is offline Find More Posts by mosfetman
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:04 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
I'm hoping somebody brings these radios to the Toledo Show this year. I would very much like to look at one first hand and get a feel for the way it fits in my hands.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:08 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,068 Posts
Agreed, I'd buy one on the spot after I got to play around with it.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:11 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
I wouldn't say I'd buy one on the spot but I've never bought a radio I didn't get to handle first. Well.... maybe not never but certainly not in a very long time. For me, fit is the first requirement. If it isn't comfortable, I'm not buying and I'd really like to see if this one fits.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:29 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,652 Posts
I went to puffin models uk today to fondle the set. It doesn't work for me as a thumbs on top of sticks pilot so I will try again when the ds16 is available. However I felt that even if I was a tray user the switch locations are poor, suited to boat or digger drivers who can look down at the set but not good for a flier who can't look away from the plane to find which is the right switch.
But what really killed it for me is the trim buttons, that is a truly awful piece of design. The mpx royal version was at least useable, with space between the buttons, individually shaped buttons and a raised dot in the centre. I could always find the correct trim button very quickly. But the jeti has four identically shaped buttons extremely close together so without looking down you spend a couple of seconds trying to find the right button. Grumania's add on gadget and comments vindicate my opinion about it. It's a truly awful design mistake and imo without the grumania add on it is unuseable.

I hope that jeti soon makes a ds16 without the silly gyro and accelerometer gimmicks so that it drops the price to the same as the dc16, then I will take another serious look at buying it but do I really want to spend so much on a tx that needs a 3rd party self-adhesive add on to make it useable?
Rather disappointed.
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:16 PM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,510 Posts
joy pad trims always have been and always will be sh*te IMHO.

When I am flying f3b distance and I want to speed up or slow down with a couple of clicks of trim, you just don't have the time to find which trim is which much less look down at the transmitter.
satinet is online now Find More Posts by satinet
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:31 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
I switched from the 4000 to the DC-16 (I looked at several radios and tried them out first before switching), and find the switches just as easy to use as the 4000 ones; in fact one of the deciding factors was how much it felt like my 4000. All my current flying this winter is F3P and I have to flick two switches several times during a short flight (and usually in the middle of manoeuvring). I do use the tray and can see that as a thumb flyer it might not be as easy. Maybe the loose two finger and a thumb pinch I have helps.

I like the trim layout :-) I have to trim every flight and get maybe 4 seconds of straight and level to get it adjusted. I find my thumb falls naturally into the middle and I can feel each of the four buttons (cold and hard). I just lean my thumb over and get a click of whatever. I actually find this quicker and easier than the 4000 (I used to have trouble trimming several controls precisely in the same short time).

Having had two seasons with the 4000 and now almost a full season with the DC-16 I prefer the ergonomics of the DC-16.

I have no brand loyalty. I pick what I like. I've had and dropped JR, Spektrum and even Multiplex. The only previous radio I really had any loyalty to is the 4000 and that has it's flaws (understandable on a radio designed in 1995 though). Just flogged my DX8 as I dislike it.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:01 PM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I'm hoping somebody brings these radios to the Toledo Show this year. I would very much like to look at one first hand and get a feel for the way it fits in my hands.
We will be there, 2x boths are reserved.

Zb/Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryC View Post
But what really killed it for me is the trim buttons, that is a truly awful piece of design. The mpx royal version was at least useable, with space between the buttons, individually shaped buttons and a raised dot in the centre. I could always find the correct trim button very quickly. But the jeti has four identically shaped buttons extremely close together so without looking down you spend a couple of seconds trying to find the right button. Grumania's add on gadget and comments vindicate my opinion about it. It's a truly awful design mistake and imo without the grumania add on it is unuseable.

Rather disappointed.
Works for me, love it. I do not have search all around the radio for trims. Also with one finger I can set both trims.

I understand if some English man with “Large” thumbs do not like it.

Zb
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Jan 22, 2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:22 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
1,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid3ways View Post
I did exactly that at the AMA Expo :-)
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel