HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:31 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Discussion
DIY RC boat

I'm trying to build my own RC boat with homemade transmitter and receiver. This is due to the school project I take. I have always been into RC boats, but this showed as opportunity to build my first ever. The design (the actual boat) is not my first priority right now. I am trying to find schematics for receiver and transmitter. I have been checking a few sites now, but I have no real clue where to start. I've been checking this site for quite a while, but now I decided to take part in community. I would gladly take any advices about pretty much everything.

Thank you for you answers =)
TehDuck is offline Find More Posts by TehDuck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:40 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,700 Posts
TecDuck- I think in this instant, you are barking up the wrong tree. I realize that this is a school project but I would put the work in on the boat rather than the radio control system. To build a complete radio system would coat you far more than what a new system would cost you and would probeably not work half as good.

A two channel radio complete can be had for $45.00 or less.

http://www.mackproductsrc.com/Radios.htm
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:49 AM
Bucharest, RO
Joined May 2009
1,987 Posts
Or much less:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=10608
CornelP is offline Find More Posts by CornelP
Old Jan 25, 2011, 07:24 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,293 Posts
and... using a non-FCC certified transmitter is illegal. Buy new, or rip one out of a cheap RC toy.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:20 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,379 Posts
I agree with Pat, making your own RC radio is fraught with legal peril :-).

Perhaps you could make an IR (infrared) tx (transmitter) and rx (receiver). Since they don't use radio waves, but light waves, perhaps they'd be free of FCC regulation. Or, you could make the rx for your boat, and use a commercial tx (many toys' remote control is IR, eg Airhog motorcycle, Venom min helicopter).

I don't know the schematics for such an IR set. Perhaps you could find some help over on the Radio or DIY Electronics forums.
Here are my Search theads for "infrared" on DIY Elect and Radios Forums:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...query=infrared
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...query=infrared
a thread that may help:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=infrared
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
I see you gave me quite a few alternatives, but what am I going to show to them ? I'm supposed to show something I did on my own as for the electronics goes. He/they won't care as much about boat outside... When I told my teacher I'm into RC stuff, he would just say to do it then. I had no clue at that time that meant I'd had to do whole RC on my own with chips, elements and soldering. Right now I am way to late to change the topic onto something easier.

Anyways are there any other ways to do it ? I wouldn't care about double price as long as it would work to show them =)

Thanks for all the answers.
TehDuck is offline Find More Posts by TehDuck
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:14 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
You can create a tone transmitter and reciever system and use the FRS bands to control it. This is perfectly legal. You just need FRS walkie talkies and a tone decoder. You can use a small keyboard as an encoder.

You can also go down the robotics road and transmit commands via several legal wireless frequencies. Data commands are allowed on these paths.

There are other creative ways as well, optical transmission is fully allowed.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Jan 25, 2011, 10:18 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,293 Posts
No problem, just redefine the project... you don't have to scratch-build your own resistors or chips, right? Why then do you have to scratch build the radio?

Hacking/repurposing is a noble and respected endevour! Gut an RC toy, hook it up to a new set of motors and make it go... you'll get your 'A'!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:37 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,544 Posts
When I was in 9 (1958) grade I build a model of the Lincoln Futura car. The body was balsa and bass wood I used a dumas motor and gears and the radio was a Citizenship 6 channel reed system. The chassis was plexiglass and during the demo it flexed enough too strip one of the gears. Still came in third at he science fair.
I say go for it. You can dazzle them with lights and sound.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:14 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,700 Posts
John- Kinda’ reminds me of what my brother use to say , “baffle them with bull sh_t, and dazzle them with foot work”. You know, like a used car salesman.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:53 PM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
2,844 Posts
Thinking back 20 something years, Maplin (a UK electronics supply chain) offered both a receiver and transmitter kit. The instructions required that the builder had a fairly comprehensively equipped workshop having oscilloscopes capable of better than average performance, and wavemeters, all calibrated to a laboratory standard, and that was with the standards applicable back then. That's probably one reason why they dropped the line. That, the chips no longer being available, and the advent of good quality, low priced ready made and certified equipment.
Modifying a butchered toy or figuring how to encode at the transmitter, decode and distribute at the receiver, and transmit over an ultrasonic or IR link could be the way to go. Still not a small job.
What kind of boat were you thinking, and what range to operate over?
mfr02 is online now Find More Posts by mfr02