SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by miniphase, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:42 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
Discussion
low passes

sunset slope wing (1 min 26 sec)
miniphase is online now Find More Posts by miniphase
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 06:52 AM
the answer 42 is
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Hey Paul

Im back on the wings almost done with a small bullet :P the wing on this video is the 2m?? are you using the EH profiles?? Mr Hartmut Siegmann is not very kind when talking about it http://www.aerodesign.de/english/pro...le_s.htm#hs130

I might build another one just to compare the performance and ease to build

regards

EZ
Edwinzea is online now Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old Jul 04, 2011, 05:13 PM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
Hi Edwin

Yes, EH profiles don't seem to be held in too high esteem elsewhere! Like you I have thought about building the same model but with another section to compare how they perform. He does say he has no experience of the EH 3/12 section (which is the one I used) maybe it's just the 2/10 that's a bad performer, or maybe it was another factor? I'm tempted to build something with the 2/10 just to see if it really is that bad!

I am just finishing off another 2m wing with ballast tube for windier slope work, I'll post some pictures next week some time.

Thermals

Paul
Last edited by miniphase; Jul 04, 2011 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:07 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Hey Paul

well I did some simulations on XFLR5 some time ago with your model and the HS522 seem to be a better profile for it than the EH. I still have to develop the Variable CoG device but I had been more interested in other builds :P

Regards

Edwin
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:28 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
Thanks for that Edwin, I'll have to investigate it when I have time. The HS522 worked well on my 100" wing, and no doubt the thinner section will give a more versatile model.
I'd also like to do a 3m span wing using the HS522.

I look forward to seeing how your next build goes now you're set up with all the bagging equipment!

Paul
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:08 AM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
yeha well I am not 100% but I am getting kind of good results, my glass Sally came out very well. Now I am working on a bigger version from the T-Killer from mr HS but the colors went all wrong :P still is a neat looking wing.

I got jealous seeing the video from the guys from ZUPAIR, and now Im palnnign one like that one.

Still my next project will be the pod with the CoG variation device :P I have the plans in my head and will have some time next days

Looking for your 3m wing I think I will stay under 2m but we never know

EZ
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:44 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
Bagging is a whole set of skills in itself isn't it? once you have a good system it saves a lot of time though.

The Zupair model looks great, it will be even better when they design the best flap location for it.

I'd like to do a 3m wing for both slope and flat fiedl work, maybe with an electric pod too. I'll post some fotos when (and if!) I get started.

Regards

Paul
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:24 PM
the answer 42 is
Joined Jan 2006
1,897 Posts
Yeap with the bag everything gets faster :P sometimes I feel I need a second par of hands :P

I already designed the flaps for them XFLR5 is my friend usign HS522 it wont need any elevato compensation with the flpas depoyed:P Im considering to get some kevlar, it saves some weight be I am not sure if it is really worthy, it would be about 120g in total weight save, I can get the same strenght with 80g/sq glass, but the cost goes 5 times higher with the kevlar so I am still thinking about it.

I have the design for the CoG device, now I have to build it in the next couple of days

Regards

EZ
Old Jul 06, 2011, 01:38 AM
Kent, UK
Joined Nov 2004
870 Posts
I suppose I'm of the mind that if the model flies really well, then I'll build another with all the expensive materials. I look forward to seeing your CG device and hearing how it works, good luck Edwin!