HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:09 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,194 Posts
Discussion
SoCal guys: Heads-up -- racing on the way!!!

Alright SoCal guys, we have a couple of races coming up at the Artesia Transit Center and at the RCX show.

I propose that we combine Superbikes with Supermoto, since I am 100% sure they won't add a second bike class. We can set up jumps at a couple of places on the track that would be required for the moto guys to take; the superbike guys can just go around them. I have a couple of car ramps and plywood we could use for one jump -- does anyone have more materials that we can use to make an quick-to-setup, quick-to-remove jump or two?

Here are the dates:

Feb 13 -- GLARCC Artesia Transit Center, Corvette Cup Race #1
Mar 19-20 -- Pomona Fairplex, RCX Challenge (entry deadline Mar 12)

Note that both are ROAR races, and that a personal transponder is required for the RCX race.

Let me know your thoughts, concerns, ideas, etc...

Lito
Guidoracer is offline Find More Posts by Guidoracer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:01 PM
dammachines
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Feb 2004
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guidoracer View Post
Let me know your thoughts, concerns, ideas, etc...
My first thought is that I wish I lived on the west coast...
dmincin is online now Find More Posts by dmincin
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
798 Posts
I was going to bring this up myself Lito, I'm glad someone else is looking to get back out there and get the racing going. Last seasons turnouts for the racing events left me unsatisfied. The Dots day was great we need to schedule more of those this year and get everyone out to the events.
DLAWW is offline Find More Posts by DLAWW
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:23 PM
Joined May 2009
661 Posts
Quote:
... the superbike guys can just go around them...

Lito
easier said than done.

i'm not gonna run my superbike on a track with obstacles that could potentially launch my bike 20ft in the air if i inadvertently hit them.

besides how are you gonna enforce a penalty to the supermoto riders who bypass the jump?
Torrance is offline Find More Posts by Torrance
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:56 PM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,194 Posts
Torrance:

I think there might be a way to do it where they won't be obstacles for the superbikes. If we place the jumps off the regular racing line so that the jumps cut part of the track for the supermotos, that might even make the track better for the not-so-nimble dirt bikes. Doing it this way, the jump will be a reward; the penalty of not doing the jump will be having to take two more turns. We can probably arrange it so that the landings take place off the line also, but everyone will have to be extra aware. If I can find a photo of one of our layouts, I'll try to draw something up.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:01 AM
Editor, RCCA
Joined Nov 2004
3,194 Posts
Dave: Your rig is close to the ideal supermoto setup -- plush suspension plus direct steering plus electronic gyro stability. No rich uncle or sugar ma-, I mean, sponsor to foot the bill for schlepping the family out west for a weekend?
Old Jan 25, 2011, 01:08 AM
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,783 Posts
Just wondering. Who races supermoto?

Bruce
slawsonb is online now Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:39 PM
PROFESSOR TRUTH JIMMY ICE
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
We will...if we get tires I guess
Akura2 is offline Find More Posts by Akura2
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:40 PM
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
the jump could take the bikes up and over the island on the west end of the track... that would be a cool short cut...

I can't wait for RCX though....
Old Feb 01, 2011, 05:53 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
798 Posts
Are we on for Feb-13 at the Artesia transit center anybody out there come on guys. Lets here something from everyone please.
Old Feb 02, 2011, 06:57 PM
YOUTUBE - R/C Life Channel
Joined Sep 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrance View Post
easier said than done.

i'm not gonna run my superbike on a track with obstacles that could potentially launch my bike 20ft in the air if i inadvertently hit them.

besides how are you gonna enforce a penalty to the supermoto riders who bypass the jump?
totally agree, i have a kyosho hor 1/8 scale bike, and i have put a few hundred dollars in it. I get all worried when it does a regular crash, i dont even want to think what would happen if it took a jump, lol.

Quote:
Torrance:

I think there might be a way to do it where they won't be obstacles for the superbikes. If we place the jumps off the regular racing line so that the jumps cut part of the track for the supermotos, that might even make the track better for the not-so-nimble dirt bikes. Doing it this way, the jump will be a reward; the penalty of not doing the jump will be having to take two more turns. We can probably arrange it so that the landings take place off the line also, but everyone will have to be extra aware. If I can find a photo of one of our layouts, I'll try to draw something up.
placing jumps off the regular line is assuming everyone drives perfect on the regular line. i was bashing for a while before i went to the track, and at the track i found i wasnt as good a driver as i thought, and this was with 4 wheel cars. I have never raced my kyosho before on a real track and to be honest, i dont wanna try on my first go round with jumps that can rune my $400 plus toy. Why cant the jumps just be taken off for motox. i mean how long does this event plan to be??? an hour, or all day, if all day then there shouldnt be any time restraints. And its not like there are a ton a rc bike owners out there, so you shouldnt run into an excesive amount of drivers that wanna race. 3 races at 9 min, x2 thats a hour. I would go if you did two types of races, i mean they have anywhere from 5-6-7 classes race at my local track and it only takes them 3 hours. even if there is only 3 rc's that enter. If your gonna do this, do it right.
kjohns0n is offline Find More Posts by kjohns0n
Old Feb 02, 2011, 08:16 PM
DLAWW
Socal
Joined Dec 2005
798 Posts
You plan on running at the RCX this year with us. Do you have a 1/5th scale bike?
Old Feb 03, 2011, 10:29 AM
YOUTUBE - R/C Life Channel
Joined Sep 2010
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAWW View Post
You plan on running at the RCX this year with us. Do you have a 1/5th scale bike?

No 5th scale yet, haven't found one I like, are there any with hor riders?
kjohns0n is offline Find More Posts by kjohns0n
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
I think I cam safely say we're ALL still HOR riders, but we've since switched to Venom, OTO, and ZH for our 8th scale fix
Old Feb 03, 2011, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2003
6,674 Posts
edit......
Last edited by Akura2; Feb 03, 2011 at 06:02 PM.